Post your PAR data here for the Planted +
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Sponsors > Finnex

Old 07-05-2015, 01:25 AM   #1
Jcstank
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Post your PAR data here for the Planted +

Searching this site hasn't turned up any consistent data on PAR for this LED light. I have the 48" model currently set at 25" above the substrate on my low tech 75 and the growth I'm getting is good but not as good as I had from my florescent T5HO. So I'm hoping that members post any PAR data they may have using a PAR meter here for all those like me too find some day in a search. the more the better,

Thanks
Plant heavily, fertilize well, stock lightly, change water weekly, and most importantly do not use too much light.
Jcstank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2015, 03:27 AM   #2
philipraposo1982
Planted Tank Guru

At 25" that's going to be low light, my guess is somewhere near 20 par.
philipraposo1982 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2015, 07:56 AM   #3
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

One person on here recently replied to a thread that he has a Planted+ on a 75g tank
and that he believes that if you don't have injected CO2 you will get algae problems
in a tank 20" tall/w that light.
More than likely he is talking about using the standard mounting brackets/w it.
The Planted+ is a Fugeray fixture/w a few of the white bulbs exchanged for red ones.
People will give you different percents on this, but the red bulbs, being better used by the plants, gives a higher PAR rating on the Planted+ by X percent.
Regular PAR meters don't recognize the red light. So getting a PAR reading by the
conventional PAR meter doesn't work out.
I'll presume you have yours @ 25" from the sub to spread out the beam to get better
light to the tops of the plants in the front and back of the tank.
You may have had med light without realizing it. Given sufficient plant growth and current it can work that way without algae to any extent.
You might consider adding another fixture if you want that extra growth.
Amazon has a single bulb T5HO fixture at a good price or a Stingray would not add
excessive PAR to your equasion. But would provide blue spectrum which you are low in.
Amazon.com : Sunblaster 904298 NanoTech T5 High Output Fixture Reflector Combo, 4-Feet : Plant Growing Lamps : Patio, Lawn & Garden Amazon.com : Sunblaster 904298 NanoTech T5 High Output Fixture Reflector Combo, 4-Feet : Plant Growing Lamps : Patio, Lawn & Garden
Old 07-06-2015, 08:57 PM   #4
Jcstank
Planted Member

Hoppy has this same light at 25" in his tank and he says he gets 35 PAR at 25". I understand that the human eye processes light differently than a plant (PAR vs LUX) but man I cant get over how much less bright this LED fixture is over my cheapo Odysea 2 x T5HO at the same 25". I have literally no algae in my tank right now to the point that my algae eaters have nothing to eat except for the zucchini and wafers I feed them. Using Hoppy's chart from the sticky in the lighting forum, my Odysea light would give me about 35 PAR at the same 25".

What I'm hoping by starting this thread is that someone out there with a PAR meter has done some testing on a 48" planted + and that they post their results for everyone to use, not just me. It would be great if they also provided what the PAR is at 3", 6", and 8" off center from the light.

Thinking back now maybe I should have put this thread in the lighting forum. We'll see what happens!

Thanks
Plant heavily, fertilize well, stock lightly, change water weekly, and most importantly do not use too much light.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:58 PM   #5
Donald Corbett
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcstank View Post
Hoppy has this same light at 25" in his tank and he says he gets 35 PAR at 25". I understand that the human eye processes light differently than a plant (PAR vs LUX) but man I cant get over how much less bright this LED fixture is over my cheapo Odysea 2 x T5HO at the same 25". I have literally no algae in my tank right now to the point that my algae eaters have nothing to eat except for the zucchini and wafers I feed them. Using Hoppy's chart from the sticky in the lighting forum, my Odysea light would give me about 35 PAR at the same 25".

What I'm hoping by starting this thread is that someone out there with a PAR meter has done some testing on a 48" planted + and that they post their results for everyone to use, not just me. It would be great if they also provided what the PAR is at 3", 6", and 8" off center from the light.

Thinking back now maybe I should have put this thread in the lighting forum. We'll see what happens!

Thanks
I felt the same exact way about the 48" Planted+ on my 55G when I replaced a dual T5HO Aquatic Life fixture with it. It didn't seem nearly as bright so I've actually been running both with pretty good results once I got the CO2 dialed in.
Donald Corbett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2015, 12:07 AM   #6
Jcstank
Planted Member

Any of you guys notice how hot the power supply gets on these lights?
Old 07-07-2015, 12:16 AM   #7
xmpjx
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcstank View Post
Any of you guys notice how hot the power supply gets on these lights?
Yes! I thought something was wrong with mine, it gets quite hot. I read a few other talking about the heat though, so I just watch it.
xmpjx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2015, 12:03 AM   #8
Jcstank
Planted Member

Measured it today with a laser thermometer and it was 132 degrees at one end and 110 on the other. That's pretty hot so I wonder just how long this thing can last under those temperatures.
Old 07-11-2015, 02:13 PM   #9
Jcstank
Planted Member

I took the top off the power supply and put the assembly into a home made wooden box for now and added two computer fans to keep the transistors cool. Now the hottest it gets is 86 degrees right on the transistor vs 132 degrees on the plastic cover before. It should last much longer this way.
Old 07-11-2015, 02:35 PM   #10
WaterLife
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Take a look at these videos where it shows PAR readings being taken for these lights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I-fUrI5mwo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJsYweqNtig
WaterLife is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2015, 02:46 PM   #11
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

I'd like to try a planted + on a 10g tank, with substrate if I set it directly on top of the tank its 10-11" height. I am having a hard time understanding par readings...
this thread:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=338114
lists par info at
Quote:
12": 61
15": 45
Is this medium or high light? as 2 threads I've looked at on lighting with par use different #s for different ranges so I'm a bit confused
AquaAurora is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2015, 03:02 PM   #12
mattinmd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
Is this medium or high light? as 2 threads I've looked at on lighting with par use different #s for different ranges so I'm a bit confused
That's a sticky question.

How do *you* define medium vs high light? What criteria do you use to determine that boundary? I'll be blunt, there's no international standards body defining these things, so you'll get different points of view depending on who you talk to.

Hoppy's most recent ideas suggests 50+ is high light, based on the fact that above 50 you generally require CO2 injection.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184368

Others argue the threshold should be higher, as many red plants only show their best colors at 80 or higher. They also usually reference this post by Hoppy, which uses 80 for high light:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=105774

That said, that's an older post, and I'd politely suggest that Hoppy is fairly authoritative at correcting himself, and changing his own mind based on his experiences. However, the argument about Red plants without using Hoppy as a support is still valid.

edit:
I also found this excellent post with some of Hoppy's own thoughts on the matter, from a point in-time in-between when he considered 60 high-light.. It touches on the flexible nature of the question in Hoppy's own words:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...43&postcount=9

Last edited by mattinmd; 07-14-2015 at 03:06 PM.. Reason: Added Hoppy link.
mattinmd is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2015, 03:46 PM   #13
jrill
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
I'd like to try a planted + on a 10g tank, with substrate if I set it directly on top of the tank its 10-11" height. I am having a hard time understanding par readings...
this thread:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=338114
lists par info at
I have one on a 10. It is high light without question.
jrill is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2015, 05:36 PM   #14
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

removing post as I went off topic (sorry)

Last edited by AquaAurora; 07-14-2015 at 06:47 PM.. Reason: removing as not finnex related
AquaAurora is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2015, 06:21 PM   #15
mattinmd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

This is rapidly getting off-topic for the Finnex vendor forum, and probably belongs in the lighting forum.

Regardless, yes, that's what the chart claims... However, that chart isn't going to be particularly accurate. It has some inherent assumptions in it about the reflectors of the fixture, and is probably going on the old-school "white-painted angled metal shop light" model. That Lithonia doesn't look like an old-school shop light (square and boxy, instead of having angled reflectors sticking out), so it might be more or less efficient at putting the light into the tank, depending on how its reflectors are made.

It's stuff like this that caused Hoppy to advocate for using PAR directly, and stop messing around with various forms of guesswork.... Watts Per Gallon and bulb type+count vs distance are both basically "rule of thumb" methods with a lot of built-in assumptions about the fixture. They don't really work particularly well, and should be used with some caution.
mattinmd is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Location. As precise as you feel comfortable with.
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, John and his friend Sally both spotted a dalmatian inside of a truck with sirens. The animal with John and Sally is a _ _ _?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.