Finnex 24/7 Algae Question
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Sponsors > Finnex

Old 06-29-2015, 12:08 PM   #1
nzafi
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Finnex 24/7 Algae Question

I ordered a 48in for a 180g tank. I know its not going to cover a large chunk of the tank but that is on purpose. I will be putting in some plants, but very little. No plan for CO2 or anything like that.

I was just wondering if folks using the 24/7 setting are getting tons of algae? I want some plants but am trying to avoid algae.

Thanks!
nzafi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2015, 12:29 PM   #2
Veritas
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

little too early for me to report in, as I have been battling a hair algae outbreak longer than I've had the 24/7.

I do remember seeing that the PAR for that majority of the light cycle is very, very low - so I imagine that we should be fine - having taller tanks.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...881&highlight=
Veritas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2015, 12:27 PM   #3
Veritas
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quick Update - definitely have an algae farm going - despite using pressurized co2.

Looks like I am going to have to up the co2, and doublecheck the fert dosing.

all levels are still showing 0,0 and 10 ppm (Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate)

Old 07-07-2015, 05:15 PM   #4
Entz
Algae Grower

I have taken mine off 24/7 mode as I have been fighting hair algae since putting the light on my tank (nothing terrible but enough to notice) . 24/7 mode seems a bit bright to me outside of the normal 8hr window, not sure if that is the cause or not. For now just using it as a normal light.

As far as I can tell I have enough CO2 (1 deg drop) over the course of the day but will try increasing it as well. It is taking far longer to get that drop then I would like. Reactor trapping bubbles perhaps...

Not blaming the light yet either.

If that works I will go back to 24/7 and see if it comes back or likely just end up automating it with my Pi controller to give a bit more natural ramp and waaay darker evenings.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:34 PM   #5
Veritas
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'll try doing the same as well while I battle this problem.

anyone else had anything brew up? I figured with the height (25" from substrate) it wouldn't be an issue - but I definitely have noticed increased algae - hair algae and even some BBA..

Old 07-08-2015, 12:13 PM   #6
nzafi
Algae Grower

I still have not received my light and I starting to think I will cancel the order. I have no intention of doing CO2 and I am not going to do a lot of plants. I just wanted a phased approach to lights coming on and off which is why the 24/7 appealed to me.
Old 07-08-2015, 01:36 PM   #7
mattinmd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

I'll cross-reference my answer to this same basic question in a different thread...

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=891370

Long story short, it works for me on a 21" tall 36 bowfront with sufficent fast growing plants and 1.5x co2 booster dosing... You'd probably have issues on a shallower tank unless you do CO2.
mattinmd is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2015, 06:14 PM   #8
Entz
Algae Grower

In my case I am in the 15-16" range which is medium-high (IIRC) range at full power . So I would say with that much par the fact that it hasn't turned into an algae farm is a good sign but I also run pressurized CO2.

I think I am the only one who notices the algae lol . i.e. Not terribly noticeable unless you are right up next to the tank or wonder why a leaf looks like it is stuck floating in air.

So don't get me wrong, overall I am very happy with the light. Just something I have observed.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:15 AM   #9
Jcstank
Planted Member

I have the regular Finnex Planted + on a timer for 9 hours and at 25" from substrate. I started running my T5HO for just an hour each day with the Finnex on for 10 hours and almost over night algae started to appear. Its back to 9 hours now with just the Planted +. I dose modified EI dry fertz and Seachem Excel.
Plant heavily, fertilize well, stock lightly, change water weekly, and most importantly do not use too much light.
Jcstank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2015, 11:46 AM   #10
nzafi
Algae Grower

I guess I will give it a try and see how it comes out. The light will probably be about 22in from substrate but I also have glass panes on top of the tank. Considering it will be a singled 48in light on a 6x2x2 tank, my goals was too keep light to the center of the tank with dark edges. Hopefully this helps to limit algae.
Old 07-11-2015, 01:06 AM   #11
MtAnimals
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

mine is doing fine on my 55.it's not a planted tank,just some java moss,guppy grass,hornwort and anacharis.I have a little bba on the edge of the sponge filter outlet,and on some of the older moss.

MtAnimals is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2015, 09:50 PM   #12
shift
Wannabe Guru

Mine is starting to get some too... is there any way to turn down the intensity of the 24/7 mode?
shift is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2015, 09:52 PM   #13
mattinmd
Planted Tank Guru

No.

24/7 mode is fixed function.. it cannot be adjusted for intensity or duration..

If you want to alter the light parameters, use it as a dimmable fixture on a lamp timer, at which point it is basically a brighter Sat+.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:34 PM   #14
shift
Wannabe Guru

Rats. Any way to hack one onto the finnex ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shift is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2015, 01:54 AM   #15
mattinmd
Planted Tank Guru

Not readily.. IMO you'd have to replace the entire controller circuit...

You can't just splice a dimmer in between the DC supply and the fixture... Dimmers work by switching the power on and off really fast, and changing the length of time that it is "on" each time. Putting a dimmer between the light and its power supply would end up cutting power on-and-off to the internal controller that's trying to run 24/7 mode, not just the light.

For this reason, generally speaking when it comes to dimmers, you should only have one. You can't dim a lamp that already has a dimmer and expect reasonable behavior..

I've tried to point out many times this light has 2 uses:

24/7 mode - not adjustable, but cool. Probably too much light for low tech in tanks under 20" deep.
dimmable light - using an external timer. You get flexibility, but loose the 24/7 mode feature.

Given the price point, it's not too bad that you have to choose between one and the other.. remember this sells on Amazon for only a few bucks over the price of a planted+, and that just has 2 on/off switches..

edit:
I also don't think the internal controller can be readily modified... see my review which has some pictures of the internals, and notes about the trickiness of taking it apart:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...385&highlight=

Last edited by mattinmd; 07-21-2015 at 02:03 AM.. Reason: added review link.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Location. As precise as you feel comfortable with.
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, John and his friend Sally both spotted a dalmatian inside of a truck with sirens. The animal with John and Sally is a _ _ _?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.