"Root wad" driftwood?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 11-14-2012, 04:43 PM   #1
Veneer
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

"Root wad" driftwood?

Has anyone used Underwater Treasures terrarium wood? Apparently safe for both aquatic and terrestrial contexts (and there's an aquarist-marketed version which is just the same thing screwed to a slate) -- only issue is initial floating. I've heard it claimed this is the same as redmoor wood, which is extensively employed in European aquaria and vivaria but seems to be much rarer in North America. How about "twisted rosewood"?

What else lends this kind of tangled finger-and-palm or chaotic tentacular effect? Maybe it's simply the way these particular pieces were selected and processed, but the manzanita root I've seen was in simple, block-like units without as many projections as I'd like, and aboveground selections from this tree (the ones favored by aquarists, at least) are often way too elongate and intricately twiggy (or alternstively plain and linear) for my taste.

ADA "branch wood" and "horn wood" come close, but I'm sure they're excessively marked up.
Veneer is offline   Reply With Quote