10 gallon planted tank - Take two
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 04-30-2013, 12:59 AM   #1
Mathias1324
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

10 gallon planted tank - Take two

Well, here's my go at a planted tank. The reason I say "take two" is because my first attempt failed miserably when the seal broke and I had to tear it down after a month or so. Here are the specs:

Size - 10 gallon
Filter - Eheim 2213
Lighting - Two hanging Bayco lamps with 13 watt 6500k bulbs 14" above the substrate
Some 50 watt heater
Substrate - Eco complete
DIY CO2 through an Up-Aqua nano diffuser
Ferts - Seachem NPK and comprehensive

Flora - Anubias nana, Crypt undulata, Hygrophila corymbosa kompact, Bacopa monnieri, Anacharis, Marsilea crenata

Fauna - None!..except for a few hitchhiker snails, maybe some red cherry shrimp down the road.

I've been making sure the plants receive enough nitrogen since there aren't any fish. Haven't seen any deficiencies yet and I've already seen some good growth. Here are some day 1 and 7 pics:
Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_day_1_front_4-19-2013.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	274.6 KB
ID:	135274 Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_day_1_top_front_4-19-2013.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	231.2 KB
ID:	135282 Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_day_2_setup_4-20-2013.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	135290

Day 7
Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_day_7_front_4-25-2013.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	241.3 KB
ID:	135298 Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_day_7_top_front_4-25-2013.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	214.6 KB
ID:	135306 Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_anubias_pearling_4-28-2013.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	135314

I was so happy when I saw the anubias pearling haha. Some of the marsilea is doing well, some of it not so much. I think it's because the runners are above the substrate and the roots are barley taking hold. I'm too lazy to properly plant all those little things lol. If it doesn't fare well in the next couple weeks, I'm gonna tear it out and plant something else. Something less tedious. I'm really digging the tannins from the driftwood. I think the tea color looks good.

Two questions:

The crypt undulata leaves are turning a pink/orange color. They don't look like they're dying. No browning around the edges or pin holes. In fact, new leaves are sprouting every few days and I haven't seen them melt yet either. Is this normal? Anyone experience the same thing?

Does anacharis actually grow a root system once planted? I found the one that has been growing the most floating in the tank today and it doesn't look like it's made any progress whatsoever..root-wise anyway.
Mathias1324 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.