Lets discuss man who claims to have sealed planted jar since 1960
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 01-08-2014, 09:11 PM   #1
brandon429
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Lets discuss man who claims to have sealed planted jar since 1960

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...air-water.html

One of the things I like to do most is verify age claims on aquarium systems based on tiny details in the pics and from descriptions, the longer you keep tanks the better you are able to compare your own tanks age to the stated age of other systems and you see that there are similarities between tanks of similar age. this is much more marked in the calcification of marine systems but planted systems also give some telltale clues if someone stops in to say their tank is 40 years old. i have my opinions about the above claim that this vessel was plugged in 1970 and not opened since, curious to know yours first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2014, 09:25 PM   #2
Kat12
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)

Didn't read but I thought terrariums that's the point that they an self sustain.
Kat12 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2014, 09:32 PM   #3
brandon429
Planted Member

sure, but try and link one that's done in 60

is interesting because no other pics are found on web sites of comparatively aged systems, seems he's got one of a kind

this guy was able to seal, how many terrariums are sealed and this old. .. ventilation is more common for terrariums vs plug sealing, no chlorosis and no ferts and no mold takeover after five decades I'm thinking
Old 01-08-2014, 09:34 PM   #4
brandon429
Planted Member

his pics show obvious aging detail it's amazing to ponder no ferts since 60. picked hella soil before that initial capping?

I want that vessel for a reef badly.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:34 PM   #5
Lia
Planted Tank Obsessed

Very interesting and the video on how to do it was great.

I believe him .
Lia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2014, 09:36 PM   #6
Lia
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon429 View Post
his pics show obvious aging detail it's amazing to ponder no ferts since 60. picked hella soil before that initial capping?

I want that vessel for a reef badly.

He says that the leaves that fall become the fertilizer.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:37 PM   #7
brandon429
Planted Member

yep it's pretty neat. amazing he kept up with nitrogen demand that way. my planted tank needs to follow suit. ..It would also be great if my garden would maintain positive biomass growth, with no extra carbon input vs day one

a few things don't line up it seems its worth considering the details. pure capping, not once opened since 1970. mass is being produced new, without new mass being added. sure it runs for a time in sealed containers, the question is how long do you get new mass when no new has been added. sure its possible, but other comparative examples are lacking and thats interesting in science, no other shared similar findings...
Old 01-08-2014, 09:42 PM   #8
Lia
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
yep it's pretty neat. amazing he kept up with nitrogen demand that way. my planted tank needs to follow suit. ..
I am sadly not one of them but there are people in the forum with old planted tanks that are more or less "self sustaining' other than water top offs .

No co2.,no additives and great looking tanks. Just the plants and fish.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:10 AM   #9
Texan78
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

People tend to see things like this and their rarity and try to over think or over analyze how it is done and forgot about the basic fundamentals. Forgot all we know about today. Go back to the fundamentals and basics. If you think back to elementary science class I am sure you can figure it out fairly quick.
Texan78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2014, 12:15 AM   #10
brandon429
Planted Member

Yes, some basics about plants in a bottle aren't astounding. I never said impossible, just named some interesting variables that aren't really covered in the writing. Sometimes not taking something at face value makes for good discussion

Again, he only composted a garden once, for forty years. Zero gas exchange, zero crop wipeout due to viral or nutrient impacts, no white cotton fungus which is absolutely notorious in full sealed humid environments, just ask your local amanita grower lol. all perfect balance and yellow free all green growth. Mg and iron perfect for forty years in a few lbs substrate. No rot, water ions correct first pass and all nutrients self recycling for forty years. Its interesting for sure.

The plant breakdown using only bacteria and no insects made the nutrients available in the exact ratios needed for a thicket of solid green spiderwort, forever basically. Really fast mineralization and internal breakdown of cellulose, using only microbes and no upriver mass breakers. Amazing facets of this aquariums success for sure. Personally I think its easier just to accept everything you read on the internet at exact stated face value, Tex.

Last edited by brandon429; 01-09-2014 at 01:09 PM.. Reason: sp
brandon429 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2014, 12:16 AM   #11
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)

Quote:
a few things don't line up it seems its worth considering the details. pure capping, not once opened since 1970. mass is being produced new, without new mass being added. sure it runs for a time in sealed containers, the question is how long do you get new mass when no new has been added. sure its possible, but other comparative examples are lacking and thats interesting in science, no other shared similar findings...
energy can be neither created or destroyed. old begets new.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:16 AM   #12
brandon429
Planted Member

Should be pretty easy to locate some analogs here, where are the sealed planted vase links, let's see how they dealt with complete humidity and what plants tolerated it.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:18 AM   #13
brandon429
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoat View Post
energy can be neither created or destroyed. old begets new.
Yes I agree, it will be interesting to see if anyone here has sealed planted tanks even 10 yrs old, how the plants survived etc. any type of collateral input from actual experience would be ideal

Pics too

How dare this man withhold his substrate composition lol ima go reread see if he mentioned it

Ada take note
Old 01-09-2014, 12:26 AM   #14
LIZARDFISH
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I received an ecosphere with two shrimp in it 13 years ago. I keep it on the dresser in our room and it is still going strong. Pretty cool.
LIZARDFISH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2014, 12:29 AM   #15
brandon429
Planted Member

I remember seeing my first one in 98 at a mall, 400 for a small one ouch I think last I saw they were 80 shipped those are neat. You got Hawaiian reds 13 yrs post up pics thats awesome

Do molts pile up from them?

If anyone has links for ten year sealed plant systems they would be welcomed

Consider what we must add to keep even cabomba or simple stem plants alive in terms of ferts...nitrogen, potassium, iron, etc

why doesn't leaf breakdown cover it for us, plus fish food and waste? bioavailability and timing of release.
even if you dont dose them, they are in fish tanks that are essentially refreshed with these and more nutrients. being exposed to air or in a sealed tank doesnt change the plant command for these nutrients in bioavailable forms, Im skeptical about zero ferts for 40 years and a plug that may leak air, but didnt allow the vessel to dessicate over time with no water added since 1970. Im doubting his time frames, not that the vessel is pretty old.

Last edited by brandon429; 01-09-2014 at 03:23 PM.. Reason: sp
brandon429 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.