no barbels on my cory's
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 11-12-2012, 04:17 PM   #1
caique
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

no barbels on my cory's

My Corydoras habrosus look like they have no barbels they are in a very clean tank with eco complete as a substrate does this ruin there barbels? might have to put them in another tank, of course the hard part is catching them.
caique is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 04:56 PM   #2
BBradbury
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Your Corydoras

Quote:
Originally Posted by caique View Post
My Corydoras habrosus look like they have no barbels they are in a very clean tank with eco complete as a substrate does this ruin there barbels? might have to put them in another tank, of course the hard part is catching them.
Hello cai...

Any substrate, decoration, rocks, etc. that's the least bit abrasive can potentially damage the Corys' barbels. Eco-complete doesn't have uniform pieces and some appear rough. I've never used it.

I've always used standard, "pea-sized" aquarium gravel in my Cory tanks. The gravel is polished, with no rough areas.

If your Corys' barbels are stunted or missing, then a change in substrate might be needed. The barbels can regrow, though. It typically takes two to three months.

B
Old 11-12-2012, 07:20 PM   #3
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

+1 I agree, never used Eco complete before though, always been a Gravel and dirt guy myself

Then I saw it. I saw a mom who would die for her son. A man who would kill for his wife. A boy, angry and alone. Laid out in front of him, the bad path. I saw it. And the path was a circle. Round and round. So I changed it.
-Joe (Looper 2012)
ADJAquariums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:23 PM   #4
ThatGuyWithTheFish
perugiae

PTrader: (23/100%)

Did they come without barbels? I've heard opposing sides on how substrate can damage barbels. So it may or may not be that.

"Boulders-Upon-Meadow"

My Golden Rule of planted tanks: WWTAD-
"What would Takashi Amano do?"

RAOK Club #69
ThatGuyWithTheFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:35 PM   #5
MSG
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Default What type of filtration does your tank use?

I have eco-complete & even with trumpet snails I still developed little toxic gas pockets.

Usually the disappearing barbels are related to bacteria/DOC's on the bottom of the tank.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:10 PM   #6
Loachutus
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)

I have a bunch of different loaches on Eco-complete for years and their barbels are fine.

I would have to agree with MSG's post about bacteria/DOC's being the possible reason.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:11 PM   #7
Fdsh5
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)

If you don't want to change gravel, you could put a sand cap over the gravel. That's what I did in my Cory sterbai tank and they love it. Kind of tough to see in the pic, sorry

Last edited by Fdsh5; 06-07-2014 at 06:39 PM..
Fdsh5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:20 PM   #8
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

I have a rough substrate for mine.. I think it has more to do with frequent water changes.
mistergreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:53 PM   #9
caique
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuyWithTheFish View Post
Did they come without barbels? I've heard opposing sides on how substrate can damage barbels. So it may or may not be that.
Thank you for all the responses, I'm not sure to be totally honest, I think they did, I have 5 other larger cory's and they are fine.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:57 PM   #10
caique
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury View Post
Hello cai...

Any substrate, decoration, rocks, etc. that's the least bit abrasive can potentially damage the Corys' barbels. Eco-complete doesn't have uniform pieces and some appear rough. I've never used it.

I've always used standard, "pea-sized" aquarium gravel in my Cory tanks. The gravel is polished, with no rough areas.

If your Corys' barbels are stunted or missing, then a change in substrate might be needed. The barbels can regrow, though. It typically takes two to three months.

B
Hey B,

I have heard different things about eco complete some say it is fine, would like to hear from people that do have eco complete.

Don't have to change substrate, I can just put them in another tank for now. Just not sure if it is the substrate or not since my other cory's are fine they are bigger though so maybe that has something to do with it.

Do you know if there is a problem with smaller cory's but not the larger ones when using eco complete?

Oh and B you can call me John

Caique my user name is a gorgeous parrot I used to have.

Last edited by caique; 11-12-2012 at 11:06 PM.. Reason: added another question
Old 11-12-2012, 11:01 PM   #11
caique
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loachutus View Post
I have a bunch of different loaches on Eco-complete for years and their barbels are fine.

I would have to agree with MSG's post about bacteria/DOC's being the possible reason.

I have had loaches on eco complete with no problems too.

I am a water change nut, so not sure there is a problem there, I do 20 gallon changes a week in a 75, fully planted tank with a fx5.

How would I know if there is some type of bacteria in the substrate? Keep in mind not sure if they had no barbels when I put them in there but I'm thinking they were fine, just was looking at them the other day and thought wow how come there face is so round, also keep in mind others in the tank have no problems.

John
Old 11-13-2012, 12:50 AM   #12
Loachutus
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)

How long ago did you get the cories? Maybe the one has a compromised immune system?
Old 11-13-2012, 06:18 AM   #13
CatSoup
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have had cories with ecco complete for several months now. They haven't had any problems that I've seen (and I'm obsessed with watching my fish). They plow through it no problem. They probably do prefer sand because it's soft.
CatSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:03 AM   #14
Monster Fish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Eco-complete is fine with cories and loaches in my experience. Have you tried doing a more thorough surface cleaning of the substrate? Mulm that has built up on the surface of the substrate can harbor harmful levels bacteria.
RAOK Club #77|The Fraternity of Dirt #112
Monster Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:09 AM   #15
jkan0228
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (113/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
I have a rough substrate for mine.. I think it has more to do with frequent water changes.
What if you're using a dosing system such as PPS-Pro which doesn't really require you due to water changes. At the end of the day the water is still purified. Given that the substrate would be Floramax
jkan0228 is offline   Reply With Quote