Simple, affordable RO units?? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 11-14-2012, 05:38 PM   #16
randyl
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

I bought one about 6 months ago, shipping/tax and 6 sets of filters included for about $250. And I installed it myself.

If I can do it, I think anyone can.
randyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 07:50 PM   #17
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)

Holy mother of....just checked my PFR/CRS tank pH. I admit I haven't checked it in a month. It was between 7.2-7.4 last I checked. It's at 8 now with GH of 10-11...CRS still alive and my first batch of babies born a week ago and out and about foraging. That's all fine and good but will just not do in the long run (I don't know HOW the CRS have been living in that). Switching both tanks over to RO water from here on out to have more control. I'll just be hoofing buckets everywhere til Christmas when I get my unit. Still doing some research, still listening to suggestions Thanks everyone!
ravensgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:03 PM   #18
shinycard255
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothing Shrimp View Post
+1 I use pure water club and have been very happy with it. The filters aren't super expensive and it was within my budget range. I have the 100 gallon one, which is only a few dollars more than the next lower one. My water pressure SUCKS! but I can still fill a 5 gallon in roughly 3 hrs, where other units are out of the question because if you have too low pressure they won't work at all.

I have sooo much junk in our water, I have to buy a new filter roughly every 6 months, but for me it's worth it.

I also bastardized some fittings and hooked it up to the shower head in our spare bathroom.

http://www.purewaterclub.com/catalog...roducts_id=333
I have to chime in on this as well since I bought a Pure Water Club RO+DI unit (100G/day (same one that Soothing Shrimp listed)) and it is the bomb! You can't beat the price either (compared to other systems out there)! Took my 400+ TDS water down to 0 TDS. I was blown away. All my water changes now consist of 1/3 RODI water and 2/3 Tap water.

I just use the faucet adapter on our utility sink and fill up 5G buckets until I need them, then just transfer whatever I need into 1G milk jugs and lug those around instead.
The Fraternity of Dirt #42
Who would have thought that plants like dirt?!

Tanks: 60G | 5.5G | Evolve4
shinycard255 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:26 PM   #19
Mr. Leg
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

I have Coralife 05692 Pure-Flo II 50-Gallon Per Day 4 Stage RO/DI System.
Works great and easy set up.
Mr. Leg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:50 AM   #20
Yamaz
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)

I use a portable mini ro unit from the bay near the E. from titanwaterpros. $70 shipped. 50gpd 4 stage unit good for 1500 gallons.
Yamaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:15 AM   #21
randyl
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensgate View Post
Holy mother of....just checked my PFR/CRS tank pH. I admit I haven't checked it in a month. It was between 7.2-7.4 last I checked. It's at 8 now with GH of 10-11...CRS still alive and my first batch of babies born a week ago and out and about foraging. That's all fine and good but will just not do in the long run (I don't know HOW the CRS have been living in that). Switching both tanks over to RO water from here on out to have more control. I'll just be hoofing buckets everywhere til Christmas when I get my unit. Still doing some research, still listening to suggestions Thanks everyone!
I believe ph 8 is not an issue for PFRs, mine is like that and they breed well. Baby survival rate is good too. I only use RO for bee shrimps.
randyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:21 AM   #22
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyl View Post
I believe ph 8 is not an issue for PFRs, mine is like that and they breed well. Baby survival rate is good too. I only use RO for bee shrimps.
PFR do fine in 8 pH. I use tap (almost same source as Randyl) and its 8pH, 8gH, ~6kH and they are doing fine.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:09 PM   #23
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (131/100%)

yepper. My ph routinely bounces to 8.3 and they do fine.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:46 PM   #24
mach_six
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

I bought the PWC portable 50GPD and it was a POS.

I should of just paid the more money up front for the 150GPD from Titanwaterpros that I have now.

Get a unit with clear canisters, with 300~ TDS the sediment filters would probably clog very quickly and you would be able to see it. I think I replaced the fitlers every 3 months when I was doing a lot of water changes for my s/w tank.
mach_six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:32 PM   #25
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach_six View Post
I bought the PWC portable 50GPD and it was a POS.

I should of just paid the more money up front for the 150GPD from Titanwaterpros that I have now.

Get a unit with clear canisters, with 300~ TDS the sediment filters would probably clog very quickly and you would be able to see it. I think I replaced the fitlers every 3 months when I was doing a lot of water changes for my s/w tank.
Getting clear canisters is not necessary imo. I purchased the cheap one on Ebay a while ago and I am still getting 0ppm. As long as you have a TDS meter, you don't need to visually inspect how dirty your filters are.

here is a review i started on mine:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=174435
hedge_fund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:51 PM   #26
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeToChKn View Post
PFR do fine in 8 pH. I use tap (almost same source as Randyl) and its 8pH, 8gH, ~6kH and they are doing fine.

I don't care about the PFRs...I know they do fine, I have over 100 of them in that tank. I said I had CRS in there as well, and THOSE are what I was concerned about
Old 11-21-2012, 09:15 PM   #27
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

Hubby just ordered my Christmas RO unit WOOT! Thank you all for the great responses, tips and advice. I'm sure I'll have some REALLY dumb questions when it gets here. LOL!
Old 11-21-2012, 09:30 PM   #28
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (432/100%)

No question is a dumb question unless you don't ask!
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:37 PM   #29
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

Tis true, tis true. But sometimes I REALLY feel dumb after the answer is revealed. LOL! Thanks for the heads up on that unit Jake, you are AWESOME!
Old 11-22-2012, 03:17 PM   #30
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (432/100%)

Trust me - it's better to feel dumb than to actually make a big mistake when something simple can be avoided.

That's what's great about TPT. Always easy to find an answer or get an answer regardless of the issue.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote