Fluval's mini c02 system - Any opinions?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 11-13-2012, 11:48 PM   #1
glassguppy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Fluval's mini c02 system - Any opinions?

Hey everyone, I'm trying to compile a list of things I need for my' recently aquired birthday gift - an Eheim aquastyle 9. The person who gave me this is also wanting me to draft up a list of things I need for the aquarium and with the LED fixture being somewhat bright, I've been considering getting a co2 system but I'd like to keep the cost down as much as possible in the short AND long term with as little of a hassle or learning curve as possible... How does the Fluval mini co2 system fare?
glassguppy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 12:26 AM   #2
kevmo911
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Assuming you immediately switch to the larger 88g cartridges, you're looking at 27 cartridges, or 9 3-packs, to equal a 5lb cylinder.

Granted, your tank is quite small. But, you wanted total cost, so here's a very general breakdown.

A5lb cylinder might last 12-18 months on that 9g. In those 12-18 months, you will spend:

Cheapo reg, including solenoid valve: $100
5lb cylinder: $65
First fill: $20
Odds and ends: $25
Total $210 (Add another $150 for a dependable rig with high quality components, so about $360)

-OR-

Fluval mini CO2: $30
9 3-packs of 88g cartridges: $324
Odds and ends: $20
Total: $394 (Multiply cartridge cost by 3 since there's no solenoid valve, and CO2 will be on 24 instead of 8 hours a day, so about $1022)
kevmo911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 01:14 AM   #3
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

I agree those little things are expensive. There are a couple alternatives though.

I have this paintball regulator attached to my fluval flora with a 20oz. paintball tank. It usually lasts a few months before it needs to be refilled at 3.50 per fill at Sports authority. The needle valve is not the best, but it does have a solenoid so there is no need to run it 24/7

http://www.thatpetplace.com/dual-co2...aintball-tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo911 View Post
Assuming you immediately switch to the larger 88g cartridges, you're looking at 27 cartridges, or 9 3-packs, to equal a 5lb cylinder.

Granted, your tank is quite small. But, you wanted total cost, so here's a very general breakdown.

A5lb cylinder might last 12-18 months on that 9g. In those 12-18 months, you will spend:

Cheapo reg, including solenoid valve: $100
5lb cylinder: $65
First fill: $20
Odds and ends: $25
Total $210 (Add another $150 for a dependable rig with high quality components, so about $360)

-OR-

Fluval mini CO2: $30
9 3-packs of 88g cartridges: $324
Odds and ends: $20
Total: $394 (Multiply cartridge cost by 3 since there's no solenoid valve, and CO2 will be on 24 instead of 8 hours a day, so about $1022)
Noahma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 11:06 AM   #4
glassguppy
Algae Grower

What do you guys think of this?
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=9935

What would you suggest I get for a 9 gallon aquarium that is cost effective in both the short and long term? I'd try DIY but it seems like a hassle... I know there are some commercial biological systems but there's usually some caveat I don't enjoy.

I don't want to be forced to purchase fluval's co2 cartridges at an alarming rate, so anything that gives me the versatility to get a paintball or 5lb tank later on....or for that matter any small co2 cartridges would be great... Although I'm okay if Fluvals' 88g cartridges last for about two months with a 9 gal tank like mine.

It would be nice to not "need" a co2 system and save some money but then again this is a birthday gift, I don't know if there's a budget but I don't want to surprise anyone with very expensive requests or anything.
glassguppy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 09:04 PM   #5
hsilive
Algae Grower

amazon and e bay sell co2 cartridges 25 for 25-35 bucks they arent fluval brand but if one .7 can last you a week then 80 bux buys a ok system for a year !!
hsilive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 09:14 PM   #6
Tanman19az
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (75/100%)

The best way to go is the Aquatek Paintball regulator with a 20 oz paintball tank. The regulator is $80 plus the paintball tank at $20 and the tubing and the diffuser, then you have yourself a nice setup for $125 or less. The paintball tank has lasted 5 months so far with me. Refills cost $4 so overall maintenance is cheap and easy
Tanman19az is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.