Help with Planting a 6g Halogen Fluval Edge
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 11-11-2012, 11:46 PM   #1
Ituralde
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Help with Planting a 6g Halogen Fluval Edge

I got my Edge as a gift (and distraction) from my parents after coming out of the hospital just over two years ago. It's been at least semi-planted from day two, but has seen its fair share of issues.

In two years Iíve had at least four massive attacks of BBA with untraceable triggers, and have gone through many mislabeled ďaquaticĒ plants and real ones that were damaged beyond repair during the clean-up process.

Iíve been recently inundated again, and after last nightís battle with the stuff, Iíve been left with four mostly-clean plastic plants, four pieces of driftwood in the same state, a piece of lava rock that used to have HC (until my platys ate it), two very large anubias nana partially covered with BBA hold-fasts, and a cropped layer on the intake, the gravel, and the back glass where I canít get at the stuff with the scraper because of the filter column.

I'd like to stop the BBA from ever coming back (in the same amounts) without using algaecides. I've heard that adding good nitrate(-ite?)-consuming plants will help, but with an Edge, I'm not sure what I can support.

The tank is currently fished
Hereís my stock:
A mixed herd of Pristella Maxillaris and Harlequin Rasbora (five total)
4 Juvenile Platys 3 male, 1 female (sad story, that)
2 Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish
1 Oto (its 2 compatriots died in the same sad story)

My water is usually pretty hard and hovers at about 6pH (pH Up does nothing), besides that and the algae, everything else sticks in the safe zone according to my test kit (soluíns, not strips).

I've been looking at plants online again and have seen that most require better lighting than the Edge has and/or a CO2 injector.

I am wondering what plants I can add to the tank to take the nutrients back from the BBA and that will thrive in an Edge? Iíve been thinking of switching to LED, if that would make a difference (M19 bulbs, right?), especially since the halogens donít really bring out the colors in my rainbows, but I donít necessarily want to use fertilizers since I have an Oto, and Iíve seen that they can be rather sensitive to chemicals.

Iíve been looking at ground covers like marsilea hirsute/minuta/quadrifolia, but Iím not sure what their light and CO2 necessities are.

Does anyone have any suggestions? (for mid- and background plants, too)
If I need a CO2 injector to help with the prevention of BBA, what is the best and least expensive system?
Finally, do I need to mix in a plant substrate, or should the accumulated detritus in the gravel do? (it is mostly aerobic since I turn over the gravel bi-monthly in my ever constant fight)

Last edited by Ituralde; 11-11-2012 at 11:57 PM.. Reason: Added another question
Ituralde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 04:50 AM   #2
Ituralde
Algae Grower

Hello? Seventy views and no replies? Please help!

Not trying to be rude!
Old 11-12-2012, 05:03 AM   #3
andrewss
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

change to less light and get rid of the plants that need it or something? perhaps try flourish excel for co2 if you don't want to go with injection?

post pix maybe people will stick around longer then
andrewss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:50 AM   #4
Monster Fish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)

Your tank is horribly overstocked. You should remove some fish before doing anything else.
RAOK Club #77|The Fraternity of Dirt #112
Monster Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:50 AM   #5
Matt1977
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ituralde View Post
I got my Edge as a gift (and distraction) from my parents after coming out of the hospital just over two years ago. It's been at least semi-planted from day two, but has seen its fair share of issues.

In two years Iíve had at least four massive attacks of BBA with untraceable triggers, and have gone through many mislabeled ďaquaticĒ plants and real ones that were damaged beyond repair during the clean-up process.

Iíve been recently inundated again, and after last nightís battle with the stuff, Iíve been left with four mostly-clean plastic plants, four pieces of driftwood in the same state, a piece of lava rock that used to have HC (until my platys ate it), two very large anubias nana partially covered with BBA hold-fasts, and a cropped layer on the intake, the gravel, and the back glass where I canít get at the stuff with the scraper because of the filter column.

I'd like to stop the BBA from ever coming back (in the same amounts) without using algaecides. I've heard that adding good nitrate(-ite?)-consuming plants will help, but with an Edge, I'm not sure what I can support.

The tank is currently fished
Hereís my stock:
A mixed herd of Pristella Maxillaris and Harlequin Rasbora (five total)
4 Juvenile Platys 3 male, 1 female (sad story, that)
2 Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish
1 Oto (its 2 compatriots died in the same sad story)

My water is usually pretty hard and hovers at about 6pH (pH Up does nothing), besides that and the algae, everything else sticks in the safe zone according to my test kit (soluíns, not strips).

I've been looking at plants online again and have seen that most require better lighting than the Edge has and/or a CO2 injector.

I am wondering what plants I can add to the tank to take the nutrients back from the BBA and that will thrive in an Edge? Iíve been thinking of switching to LED, if that would make a difference (M19 bulbs, right?), especially since the halogens donít really bring out the colors in my rainbows, but I donít necessarily want to use fertilizers since I have an Oto, and Iíve seen that they can be rather sensitive to chemicals.

Iíve been looking at ground covers like marsilea hirsute/minuta/quadrifolia, but Iím not sure what their light and CO2 necessities are.

Does anyone have any suggestions? (for mid- and background plants, too)
If I need a CO2 injector to help with the prevention of BBA, what is the best and least expensive system?
Finally, do I need to mix in a plant substrate, or should the accumulated detritus in the gravel do? (it is mostly aerobic since I turn over the gravel bi-monthly in my ever constant fight)
Hi,

I recommend using a lot of live aquatic plants, rather than plastic. Fill that edge with plants and your algae problem will dissipate as the plants will out compete the algae for nutrients. Also dose Flourish Excel religiously everyday (maybe just a half recommended dose - re your Otto) and make sure your filter is on full so there is a reasonable current in the tank. This will disturb the algae spore settling on the plants and hardscape.

I've kept a 50 litre nano and transferred | swapped to the 46 litre (12g) Edge recently. I had no major algae issue as my tanks are heavily planted and I make sure the water has reasonable turbulence from the filter.

My edge: All low tech - no Co2 injection - standard light.

Flora:
Hygrophila corymbosa
Anubias nana
Echinodorus amazonicus
Anubias barteri
Cryptocory​ne wendtii tropica
Banana Lily
Micro-Sword Grass

Pix:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=195794
Matt1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:01 AM   #6
Assassynation
Planted Tank Obsessed

I too have a edge that I am looking to plant. My tank is lightly planted so that the CRS can thrive. So far I have it set up with a 3 layered ADA substrate with all the powder ferts. I also planted Dwarf Hairgrass last week from petsmart plant packets to see how they fair. You should upgrade to the new LED light system. As for the BBA I would buy some Amano shrimp as I hear they are great at controlling BBA. Your pH is soft, that is great for amazonian species and plants. I would also join aquatic plant central for more info.

Pics would help too...
Assassynation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:54 AM   #7
Ituralde
Algae Grower

Here's a picture of the tank. I have been fighting with my mom's camera since she took mine out today.