Purigen and other dechlorinating products
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 11-15-2012, 08:28 AM   #1
HighDesert
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (53/98%)

Purigen and other dechlorinating products

I know some dechlor products react negatively with Purigen (those containing amines) to create toxic substances that can harm the inhabitants in a tank. I can definitely see not wanting to put water treated with one of these dechlorinators into a tank running Purigen, however, what if said product hasn't been used for a couple of weeks and then Purigen is added into the filter? Are those amines still active? Is it one of those issues where immediate contact would create a problem, but not in "aged" water? I just don't want to make anyone sick, but would really like to use Purigen to clear the tannins in my 80 gallon. The SeaChem Q&A page wasn't very helpful on that specific point.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 08:45 AM   #2
Monster Fish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)

The amines in those dechlorinators with slime-coats are only harmful if you use them during the Purigen regeneration process.

http://www.seachem.com/support/forum...ead.php?t=3411
RAOK Club #77|The Fraternity of Dirt #112
Monster Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:02 AM   #3
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

I would think that if they (the wrong dechlor) were used in the tank several weeks ago any remnant has broken down, and if you have been doing water changes using a different dechlor there would be no problem at all.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:50 AM   #4
HighDesert
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (53/98%)

Thanks! I am paranoid about poisoning my babies. I regenerated a bag today, but some of the granules are a tan color. Is this normal after regeneration? I am planning on using that bag in a turtle filter.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:35 AM   #5
chibikaie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

That happens to mine. I try to shake the bag as much as I can during regeneration. If it looks really brown at first, I give it a good shake and bleach for another day. The ideal would be to tumble it in a reactor type setup, but I am not that sophisticated.

I use sodium thiosulfate to dechlorinate it afterward, and repeat the shaking and extra soak as I don't trust my nose (poor sense of smell). It's cheap enough that I don't feel bad using more of it. I also run an airline into the final soak to oncrease circulation.
chibikaie is offline   Reply With Quote