Algae question - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 11-15-2012, 06:30 PM   #16
wheatiesl337
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (19/100%)

It's low-tech with no c02 injenction or fert-dosing. The bio-load is also very low, as it is currently a home to only some blue-velvet neos. The lower photo-period prevents most algea growth and keeps plant growth slow for reduced pruning requirements.

Back to the topic at hand, I would agree that considering the sunlight is important and making small adjustments should get you where you want. Thread algea is fairly irritating stuff to deal with. Maybe look into adding some anubias or java fern to your set-up. Both are traded commonly on the forum and you could likely get some through a ROAK.
wheatiesl337 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 07:49 PM   #17
hotrodprincess
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatiesl337 View Post
It's low-tech with no c02 injenction or fert-dosing. The bio-load is also very low, as it is currently a home to only some blue-velvet neos. The lower photo-period prevents most algea growth and keeps plant growth slow for reduced pruning requirements.

Back to the topic at hand, I would agree that considering the sunlight is important and making small adjustments should get you where you want. Thread algea is fairly irritating stuff to deal with. Maybe look into adding some anubias or java fern to your set-up. Both are traded commonly on the forum and you could likely get some through a ROAK.
We will look into getting some other plants for the tank. What plants do you think would look good any suggestions on placement. I would like to keep it looking nice . the dwarf hair grass is starting to get new green shoots. I trimmed the dead looking stuff a few days a go and I have noticed a lot more new growth since then. The moss has also grown about a 1/4 in this last week. the moss is greener than it looks in the picture.

hotrodprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:07 PM   #18
Gold Finger
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Anubias are beautiful and java looks and works great in low light with moss. The surface looks dead still. Do you have any splash or bubbles to break it up. That fish may not need the O2 or CO2 but the plants do. It would help with algae too.

Ver. 2.0 bare bottom same tank another approach (defunct)

Ver. 3.0 Pool filter sand same tank now

Farming Algae

Goldfish are among the worst fish for beginners.
Gold Finger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:18 PM   #19
hotrodprincess
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold Finger View Post
Anubias are beautiful and java looks and works great in low light with moss. The surface looks dead still. Do you have any splash or bubbles to break it up. That fish may not need the O2 or CO2 but the plants do. It would help with algae too.
the surface moves around some and the outflow makes some bubbles I can watch them rise from the bottom of the tank below where the outflow is but may be its not enough. I can move the filter sponge thats baffeling the outflow up some and give it a little more splash
hotrodprincess is offline   Reply With Quote