Doing it my way...29 Gallon Long (Heavily Planted/Stocked)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 05-06-2013, 03:35 AM   #1
EngineChauffer
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Smile

Doing it my way...29 Gallon Long (Heavily Planted/Stocked)

I have been meaning to put this up for a bit now. Here is my 29 Gallon Long that I just planted 4 days ago. Fred the fish helped me cycle this for 1 1/2 months before I added the plants and additional livestock.

Equipment Rundown

Stand: Petco Brooklyn 29 Gallon Metal Tank Stand

Filters: Undertow undergravel filter connected to three Whisper 20's (Two Fluval BioMedia - on 24/7 all the time - another with just a airstone, Purigen and Cuprisorb - on only at night -)

Lighting: Stock 29 hood retrofitted with AHSupply 55w compact kit with polished reflector. (4) TrueLumen 12k LED Moonlight pucks, (2) TrueLumen Blue pucks. All-Glass aquarium top.

Heater: Aqueon Pro 100w

Substrate: Mix of "medium" size light naturally colored gravel mixed with Flourite Red (Approx 60/40) Capped with Eco-Complete

Other things: Malaysian Driftwood, Red Slate, Black Vinyl background, the usual timers, and dimmers for the LED's.

Plant Species: Mellon Sword, Marimo Moss Balls, Red Nesaea, Micro Sword, Java Moss, Java Fern, Bacopa, Wide Leaf Sag, Water Wisteria, Red Ludwigia and Dwarf Hairgrass.

Stock: 1 Lg. Kissing fish. Name is Fred. I have had this guy for approx. 7 years since a friend of my wife moved away. I was going to get rid of him when I revamped this tank but don't have the heart to. He has one eye, the other he lost the lens a very long time ago to...well I have no idea what) If he really starts to rip things up (he does a little at night mostly) then I may have to let him go.

2 Baby Marbled Angels, 3 Black Mollies, 3 Gold Mollies, 1 Zebra Danio (mistake by LFS) 5 Brilliant Rasbora and a couple of Olive Nerite snails.

Current dosing:

Flourish: 2.5ml 2x/week
Flourish Excel: 3ml every other day
Flourish Potassium: 5ml 2-3x/week
Flourish Iron: 3ml as needed

I keep the tank at 72 degrees. I am not going to vacuum the gravel unless absolutely necessary.

On to the pictures...

And with the LED's on:

Last edited by EngineChauffer; 05-25-2013 at 04:10 AM.. Reason: Updated info 5-16-13
EngineChauffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2013, 10:47 AM   #2
meppitech
Planted Tank Obsessed

Looks great. I like the leds on.
meppitech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:12 AM   #3
sarazorz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

omg, Fred is awesome! I love the driftwood in your tank. I've yet to spend the money on a decent chunk of driftwood, but soon I'm gonna go digging around on the beaches of Lake Michigan at my parent's lake house and find some for free! Then I'll have to redo my whole tank I'm sure. You know how it goes.

I like what you've done, keep up the good work and tell Fred I said hello.
Nikon Pimp Club #102
Is there a "Hard Water Club"?
sarazorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:32 PM   #4
majorwoo
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

I have to say I love that driftwood as well! You've got driftwood with a cave that's planted - how can that not be awesome? I love the way you planted the top of it for that look. I'm hoping to grow some moss on mine and maybe weave some stem plants around it too.
majorwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 04:06 AM   #5
EngineChauffer
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarazorz View Post
omg, Fred is awesome! I love the driftwood in your tank. I've yet to spend the money on a decent chunk of driftwood, but soon I'm gonna go digging around on the beaches of Lake Michigan at my parent's lake house and find some for free! Then I'll have to redo my whole tank I'm sure. You know how it goes.

I like what you've done, keep up the good work and tell Fred I said hello.
Thanks! I got lucky with the driftwood. This cool guy at the LFS took me and the son downstairs into the stock room. He cut open several bags and helped me sift through it. It was great! I saw it and said...thats it. Sunk fine and after looking at it..has different passages through it on the underside. Some small caves in there also where the shrimp/fish can hide. I gave Fred your message... he said Nom Nom Wiggle Wiggle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorwoo View Post
I have to say I love that driftwood as well! You've got driftwood with a cave that's planted - how can that not be awesome? I love the way you planted the top of it for that look. I'm hoping to grow some moss on mine and maybe weave some stem plants around it too.
Yeah, seems all like the cave. I appreciate the feedback, so awesome! I have two different kinds of moss on mine...christmas and java and the Java Fern is getting huge. Fred is eating daughter plants....multiples every day. Crazy stuff. Update coming hopefully tomorrow. Gonna build a shrimp sponge using airline tubing, airstone and filter presponge and tap into the intake of one of the hang on back filters so it will draft and draw through it all. Bacteria host nom nom for shrimpies. I will try to take pics throughout and also show off the light setup in the stock hood. Didn't take pics while doing that due to needing to get it done as not to interrupt the light cycle and hurt the plants.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:08 AM   #6
EngineChauffer
Planted Member

I also live stream the tank here: http://www.justin.tv/e1d2c3b4a5#/w/4966737024/2

I will have it up tomorrow for sure. Prob around 11 or 12 EST.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:59 PM   #7
EngineChauffer
Planted Member

Stream is up. Gonna dose the tank, take a nap and work on the extra bio filter setup when I wake. I have all the parts just need to do it and let it cure for 24hrs after.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:18 PM   #8
Dan's85
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Your gourami looks HUGE in that last pic! Great looking tank! I really like the driftwood.
Dan's85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:10 PM   #9
Vermino
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

interesting.. you didn't trim the DHG down before planting them. I heard doing that will promote quicker growth (runners)
Vermino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:03 AM   #10
EngineChauffer
Planted Member

Whew.

Man it takes time to take pics, sort through a ton of them, upload them re-sizing when necessary etc. Anyway, here is a pic heavy update! Large pics. I am getting a little better with the camera, but man...I have to take so many pics to get ones that come out right. Such a noob with a camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan's85 View Post
Your gourami looks HUGE in that last pic! Great looking tank! I really like the driftwood.
Thanks man. Yeah he is big, about 8" or more from head to tailfin. I really like the driftwood also. So many nooks and cranny's for them to hide in. Also great little ones for planting moss...which I have been doing with floaters of the XMas moss thats in there now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermino View Post
interesting.. you didn't trim the DHG down before planting them. I heard doing that will promote quicker growth (runners)
That very well may be, but you will see mine is sending runners out fine and I left them intact. I wanted to make sure the actual grass would not come up easily so I left it on.

I haven't gotten to making the filter for cleaning the water of the "snowflakes" you will see in the tank and making a bacterial bed the shrimp and fish can feed on. Its coming. I ordered a spare intake tube to do it with so I can just switch them out and will route the airline tubing. I have an idea to make a cool little rock riverbed. I plan to get a some red flourite and make small "cliffs" only about couple of inches deep. I have some light blueish rock, and I picked up some aquarium safe sealant the other day so with a hammer and chisel I will make them. I also have a plan to possibly put an additional filter inside a moss ball if possible. So many little projects. Oh, and I want to make some custom legs for my lights to raise them an inch or two off the glass. They will be angle brackets rebent and then heatshrinked to look nice and grab as well.

All of the plants are doing well. The dwarf baby tears melted but I believe I know why, it craves a fine substrate to root and live in. The red flourite bed between the cliffs should do it so when that little project is finished I will buy some more from someone on here and try again.

On to the pictures, let them speak for themselves:

LED transition light shots:

A FTS with flash:

FTS without flash:

I planted this top when it came off...its actually rooting. I am going to leave it there for its flower effect:

Moss Ball and some of whats left of the Baby Tears:

Beautiful color coming out of this plant near the surface. Notice the branching it is doing now that it is in the water flow:

This one is also changing as it gets in the higher light:

Healthy huge Java Fern...they are all putting out baby plantlets at a rate of few a day, Fred enjoys them as a snack:

Half tank shots:

End tank shot:

Dwarf Hairgrass sending out runners:

One of the Angels:

Fred Photoboming:

The Amano Shrimp:

And back to Fred...the camerawhore. He seriously gets in my way when I try to take pictures until I take his...I swear!

And finally...Fred waves goodbye (look at his tail...lol )

Old 05-28-2013, 12:47 PM   #11
Qwedfg
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Awesome tank!

I enjoyed looking through your pictures you have a great camera. It is also awesome you kept Fred even though he is a huge frankenfish! I have a hard time giving up fish/livestock as you become attached and worry if the next home will be as good! If I ever have to sell livestock I usually give it up free or very cheap on local forums and make them prove they have a tank worthy of my fishies!!!!!

Anyway, I am also in the process of setting up a 29 gallon so it is good to see someone with the same tank. It seems 29 g tanks are not very popular! This will be my first planted tank over 8 gallons so I am pretty excited. My goal with this tank was to put 2 angelfish in there but have heard mixed reviews on whether they will be happy or not? How have your angelfish been doing??

Thanks
Qwedfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:58 PM   #12
Vepr
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Beautiful setup. Love that piece of driftwood.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:02 AM   #13
EngineChauffer
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwedfg View Post
Awesome tank!

I enjoyed looking through your pictures you have a great camera. It is also awesome you kept Fred even though he is a huge frankenfish! I have a hard time giving up fish/livestock as you become attached and worry if the next home will be as good! If I ever have to sell livestock I usually give it up free or very cheap on local forums and make them prove they have a tank worthy of my fishies!!!!!

Anyway, I am also in the process of setting up a 29 gallon so it is good to see someone with the same tank. It seems 29 g tanks are not very popular! This will be my first planted tank over 8 gallons so I am pretty excited. My goal with this tank was to put 2 angelfish in there but have heard mixed reviews on whether they will be happy or not? How have your angelfish been doing??

Thanks
Nice! I look forward to seeing yours for sure. There are more than a few 29g but yes it isn't popular. I guess most have started with a smaller 10g then jump up above the 29g. I really like it because it reminds me somewhat of the 25g I had as a kid dimension-wise. Its kind of hard to scape front to back since it isn't very deep but I am playing with moving midground plants around. I actually just kinda rescaped the left hand side today. Its getting much more light and is more "open" feeling. I will update and post a pic. My angelfish are still little guys but they LOVE the tank. They are constantly picking at the java moss and scavanging. They act very naturally. I wouldn't put more than two in there since they will be pretty big when they grow up. I also do frequent small water changes to get the hormones out of the tank so they do not become stunted so we will see. It would be tough to get rid of them or Fred for any reason.

Crappy cell pic of slight replant incoming...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vepr View Post
Beautiful setup. Love that piece of driftwood.
Thanks much! I paid around 45 or so from the LHS and am very happy with it. Has tons of nooks and crannies for fish/shrimp to hide. There are actually two tunnels through it. I noticed one day taking pictures that there is a hole about 2 or 3" wide that goes through it beside the obvious huge cave it makes. Now that the plants have shaded the back it is pretty dark under there. Less so than the pictures represent though. Its tough to get a shot of with the camera.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:26 AM   #14
bennyjam
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Default Re: Doing it my way...29 Gallon Long (Heavily Planted/Stocked)

1. I'll concur that 29g is tough to scape due to the lack of depth.
2. Fred is awesome.
3. I'm surprised you can keep shrimp in your tank with those fish. I've tried a couple times and they've been devoured.
bennyjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:49 AM   #15
Scottyhorse
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Very very nice