The Planted Tank Forum banner

33gallon long (with 55g sump!)

11K views 64 replies 16 participants last post by  somewhatshocked 
#1 ·
So i went to the lfs on sunday and low and behold they had a 33l in the store. I saw it and had to have it so being the poor college student i am, i bought it. I got it drilled that afternoon from another lfs (not taking a chance on a brand new $100 tank). When i got it home, i was looking at the stand for my old 55g and realized how much that stand is not sump-able. So being the DIY type, i googled a dual 55g stand and went to home depot today and got the materials (had them cut it too, which they forgot to charge me for). So my living room looks like a lumber yard atm, i have a bunch of pvc fixtures in my storage closet, and i still need to figure out a cover for the front of the stand that will be removable. Looking to make this a very sleek looking tank.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
$100 for that tank? I picked mine up at the LFS for $35. Either I got a great deal or you didn't. ;) Its a great footprint to work with. Unfortunately mine is in storage for the time being. Enjoy it!

#8 ·
Update for the Day. Stayed up till 130am last night assembling the stand. Found out that the plans i followed had the wrong size for 31" support beams, should have been closer to 30.5". Owell, hopped on the scooter and went to the woodshop on campus. Used my time between classes to finishing installing everything on the stand. After class I headed to walmart and bought paint and primer. The stand is currently primed, drying and waiting for the black. Still debating on what to cover the front with.

Other things i need to hash out
1.) How to do my lighting, i have a 48" t5ho that i will be using (maybe hang it off the ceiling)
2.) Gotta get my post body kit sealed right for my pressurized co2
3.) Substrate and decorations. I have 3 nice pieces of driftwood i may use. The gf wants black sand, but i may do play sand
4.) Fauna and Flora will come at a later date. Keep the videos coming (that was really cool) I want my tank to be one of a kind and a local show stopper.
5.) Gotta get glass cut for the sump set-up. Still havent decided what type of sump layout i want. And i need to get a pump (gonna grab one from harbor freight, got a buddy who swears by them)
6.) Gotta plumb the pvc/ sump

Gotta give credit for the stand design: http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/Double_55_diy_pt1.php

Attachments

#9 ·
Keep the videos coming (that was really cool) I want my tank to be one of a kind and a local show stopper.

6.) Gotta plumb the pvc/ sump

Isn't that tank in the video amazing :). Interesting layout, how it's bermed on the sides like that. Love the river stones too. Check their website out, it's all inspiring stuff.

IME, play sand has a high amount of silica in it. I used it for a tank a while back, and had a 3 month diatom bloom :icon_eek:. It was eternal and rediculous. White sand reflects more light (which could be a good thing or bad thing) Black sand hides algae and diatoms. Brings the color out more in fish and plants.

When you get the glass cut for the sump, keep in mind to try to seal the sump as much as possible. I used weather stripping, rubber grommets, and tape on the seams. From my current tank, I've had issues with the CO2 offgassing via the pvc overflow and the sump. Try to make it as airtight as possible )tubing, wires, etc. You'll save yourself headache and wasted gas.

#11 ·
Ok, the stand is now black and moved into position. Got all my lighting hung too, just gotta wait for the stand to dry all the way and move the tanks on. one of the lfs wants me to make the tank into a reef (tempting, but soooo expensive).

Attachments

#14 ·
I've done a cloth drape once, it never really looked "right".

Maybe consider a simple panel that could be held in place with 4 - cabinet door magnets. I think you might find that a clean, modern look. It also would not take advanced cabinet building skills to do.You would need 4 cabinet magnets and a handle or knob. I've also seen a single 3/4" finger hole drilled in the upper center to remove the panel.

#18 ·
Update for the afternoon:
Got the tanks moved into position. Ran out of steam for now (got a math exam tomorrow night)

I am going to go with the magnetic panel option as far as covering the sump

Thinking Fluorite for the substrate? Need input here, wanting to keep the substrate size small (particle size) And want something that will be good for plants

The reef idea is still out there, just don't know anything about saltwater, but the guy at the lfs swears it isnt hard (just need a skimmer and a sump pump for salt as far as equipment goes) Anyone have advice here? How hard are reefs to set up and maintain?

Would be cool to pull the black plastic trim off the top, but i want to keep it covered and i'm not sure if the tank is designed to handle being rimless.

And the closing note, thanks for the input so far everyone.

Attachments

#22 ·
Safe T Sorb would be way more affordable than Flourite. Have you considered it? $4 for 40 pounds, usually. Or just under $10 for 40 pounds shipped directly to your doorstep from Drillspot/Grainger.

The tank is small enough that it wouldn't be unrealistic to use ADA Aquasoil, though. Depending upon budget.

Reefing isn't really difficult. At least not more difficult than the stuff we do on TPT. But coral is expensive as all get out, skimmers are expensive, the lighting you need will cost you easily $300-$400. The initial salt investment is expensive. You'd want an auto top-off system.

Have you thought about maybe scaping a chamber of your giant sump and leaving it open for viewing? Wouldn't have to cover the front of the stand if you went that route. If there were chambers you didn't want to be visible, it would be cheap and easy to cover the front of them with black vinyl or removable black acrylic/plastic sheets.

#24 ·
Nice set up. If you wanted you could use a piece of corrugated sheet metal or a piece of diamond plate framed would look cool for a front cover. Or a cool glow from your sump light could shine through a frosted type plexiglass front that you could slide one way or the other to access the bottom but still conceal it. These probably wouldn't be cheap or what your looking for since your stand is so big though.

#25 ·
So after talking to the LFS (the freshwater one), they told me they will be able to almost match internet pricing on eco complete and fluorite. Thinking 40lbs of fluorite and capping with a 20lb bag of eco complete. Thoughts? Would lowes or Home depot have safe t sorb? And what are the advantages of using it (too lazy to search atm)

Edit: Forgot to mention i found a possible mother/ father stone at the lfs... pics soon

#27 ·
I wouldn't de-rim that tank. Too much length on the front. It would definitely bow out, and hopefully not too much. If the glass was 1/2"... then I'd think about it, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be.

I used eco-complete in my old tank. I didn't have C02... but, ime as we as I've heard from others (in my substrate searches) that eco-complete has a tendency to hold BBA spores. I also found it impossible to clean from hair algae too. I'd try to suck the hair algae out, and massive clumps of eco-complete would get sucked out too, cause it's all bound in it.

Saf T Sorb is a cat litter. Not gonna find it at Home depot

#28 ·
Safe T Sorb isn't actually a cat litter. It's similar. Holds up much longer, as does Turface.

Home Depot, depending upon location, does occasionally have similar products.

Best bet for finding STS is to check out the retailers I mentioned above. If you have a location close to you, it'll cost about $5 for 40 pounds. If not, it's about $10ish for 40 pounds - including shipping.

#30 ·
good to know about the eco complete. I would like to get a good substrate that will last along time. Since the tank is being set up, i might do dry ferts in the bed. I have osmocote. I have a menard's in town, sounds like they would probably have it, if not, i can order it from Grainger. I am looking at close to 60lb rough estimate in substrate to get the proper banks. Went to Hobby lobby, they only had thin clear plastic sheets, so i will try and make them work as substrate braces. Also picked up some cholla wood for my shrimp tank for like $3....Score.

Back to safe T Sorb, i read some threads about it, seems like a mixed debate, some people are saying it is breaking down, others are saying it awesome. Didn't know if anyone wants to chime in here and clear things up

And finally, i need Staurogeyne Repens (Spell check?) I think this will make a better carpet than HC. Two other plants i need as well, but i cannot recall the names atm. Gonna go out to the local landscaping stores for rocks, since my $10 mother/father stone was the only cool one left at the lfs.

Thanks again for the input everyone

EDIT: oyea, duh, i have a tractor supply across town

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.