First scape. Help me choose plants!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 05-30-2014, 09:58 PM   #1
cordova
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Smile

First scape. Help me choose plants!

Hello everyone, I've been lurking here for a couple months but after finally getting my hardscape set up, I realized that I need some of your opinions on what plants to grow.

Specs:
  • 15 gallon rounded edge rimless 50x33x33 cm
  • Malaysian drift wood and petrified wood.
  • UP Aqua Sand
  • Wavepoint high output (18" 15 watt) led
  • Planning on fertilizers and liquid c02/diy system

I'm going for a "cliffs and peaks" look and I'm pretty happy with it.
I originally wanted to go with HC in the foreground but considering dwarf hairgrass and staurogyne repens. What I really need help with is what moss to plant on top of the petrified wood, what plants behind it, what to put around the drift wood, even in the background. I intend on ordering from aquariumplants.com. Medium maintenance is ok with me.
Suggestions please!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	327681  

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	327689  

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	327697  

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	327705  

Last edited by cordova; 05-31-2014 at 01:20 AM.. Reason: too wordy.
cordova is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2014, 03:24 AM   #2
Art by Stef*
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

I really like it! If it was mine, I would not over do the plants behind the driftwood, or add moss. It reminds me of a landscape-like Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, or something. (Search these places to get ideas)

I would choose low lying plants that look scrub or sage-brushy, put some sort of western sky background, and get those black/white speckled patched mollies that would look like a herd of aqua cattle, but, that's just me, and some may not like the western theme.

-Stef*
Art by Stef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 04:29 AM   #3
cordova
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art by Stef* View Post
I really like it! If it was mine, I would not over do the plants behind the driftwood, or add moss. It reminds me of a landscape-like Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, or something. (Search these places to get ideas)

I would choose low lying plants that look scrub or sage-brushy, put some sort of western sky background, and get those black/white speckled patched mollies that would look like a herd of aqua cattle, but, that's just me, and some may not like the western theme.

-Stef*
Thanks! That's sort of what I was going for, I abandoned my original sci-fi land for this since it was easier for me. I love the aqua-cattle idea. :P Although I laughed because its so funny, I'm going to seriously consider it!

Anyone else have ideas? Actual plant names would greatly help me too.

Last edited by cordova; 05-31-2014 at 04:51 AM.. Reason: added more stuff
Old 05-31-2014, 09:01 PM   #4
cordova
Algae Grower

If anyone has any more ideas I'll be around for a while! Thanks in advance.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:12 PM   #5
someoldguy
Algae Grower

That's really interesting!!!
You might want to put just a bit more space between the 2 'mesas' on the right so nothing gets stuck in there . Think I'd leave the mesa tops bare . Maybe a bit of something like flame moss on the driftwood , and a couple of anubias nana 'petite"? Maybe some patches of Crypt parva on the substrate? Not a lot .....leaving some open space . Some pix for inspiration ( took these on some trips last year ( hope the mods don't trash them , they're kinda big ...)

someoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 01:23 AM   #6
cordova
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by someoldguy View Post
That's really interesting!!!
You might want to put just a bit more space between the 2 'mesas' on the right so nothing gets stuck in there . Think I'd leave the mesa tops bare . Maybe a bit of something like flame moss on the driftwood , and a couple of anubias nana 'petite"? Maybe some patches of Crypt parva on the substrate? Not a lot .....leaving some open space . Some pix for inspiration ( took these on some trips last year ( hope the mods don't trash them , they're kinda big ...)

[IMG]http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx317/61mg73/SouthTufa2c.jpg[/IG]

[IMG]http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx317/61mg73/mv6c2.jpg[/IG]

[IMG]http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx317/61mg73/3sistersc.jpg[/MG]

[IMG]http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx317/61mg73/sierra1c.jpg[/MG]
Oo nice pics! So are you thinking a fish or a shrimp might get stuck in between the two rocks onthe mside? Thanks for the suggestions though, I'm having a hard time deciding what type of moss to go with, I'll check out flame moss. Also the crypt parva will look great, even if I do decide to try and carpet the thing with hc.
Old 06-01-2014, 01:42 AM   #7
someoldguy
Algae Grower

Yup , was thinking something would get stuck. Then you'd have to get it out without shifting stuff around . No problem if it's dead , but it it's still alive...
someoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote