55G High Humidity Riparium
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-12-2012, 02:35 AM   #1
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (142/100%)

This is a new thread for a riparium that has been set up for several years. I need to go dig up the link to the original journal thread, but it was not updated for a long time and it's far back in my list of started threads.

I had this 55-gallon high humidity riparium in my house for some time, then it was moved to one of our local garden center retail stores. I serviced it for a while there, then the store personnel took over its care. You could say that it wasn't really maintained for the best display appearances, but the fish and plants were healthy all along.

I decided to start servicing the tank again and get it into better shape. I'm starting this new journal to document its progress.

Here's a quick shot from this evening. Since this is a high humidity riaprium setup it will feature a number of the emersed aquatic plants that grow well with very moist air, such as crypts, Anubias, Lagenandra and Java fern. However, I wanted to get the planting to fill out farily soon, so I added some larger specimen Spathiphyllum peace lily and leather fern. These two plants can grow as well in an open-top riparium with drier air, but they will also grow well in this setup.

I'll have more pictures on the way soon and include more details on plant selection and other points.
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 05:13 AM   #2
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Here's a shot of this setup from three years ago when I had it at home.

The crypts had grown into real nice full specimens. It's going to take a while to get them going like that again.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:33 PM   #3
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

This Lagenandra thwaitesii grew very well in the riparium planter. And it developed a spathe, too! You can see over on the left side of that tank shot.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:27 PM   #4
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

And here's a better view of the spathe...

Old 11-13-2012, 09:37 PM   #5
MikeS
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have always thought about doing one. Would love to do a custom background to hide equipment, as well as make pots and whatnot to put the plants in, and adding some type of waterfall built into the background.

After typing that, wonder if I can convince the wife to let me get another tank lol
Old 11-13-2012, 09:44 PM   #6
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
I have always thought about doing one. Would love to do a custom background to hide equipment, as well as make pots and whatnot to put the plants in, and adding some type of waterfall built into the background.

After typing that, wonder if I can convince the wife to let me get another tank lol
It's a lot easier to just develop the background with the riparium plants. Once the plants grow in they hide all of the planters and other stuff too to make a natural scene.

I would only use a background if I were specifically trying to recreate streamside rocks or similar feature. lbacha has an example of a real nice setup like that. Unless done just right 3D backgrounds have a way of looking contrived and fake.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:04 AM   #7
BBradbury
Wannabe Guru

Default Emersing land Plants

Hello hydro...

Interesting set up. I like this system. I've found there are a small number of other land plants that do well with the roots emersed. I've set up several terraphyte tanks using Aglaonema, Pothos, Philodendron, Nephthytis and plan on using varieties of Impatiens for color. Nothing elaborate, just some tanks, fully stocked with fish and some aquatic plants that require very little maintenance.

B
Old 11-14-2012, 04:43 PM   #8
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury View Post
Hello hydro...

Interesting set up. I like this system. I've found there are a small number of other land plants that do well with the roots emersed. I've set up several terraphyte tanks using Aglaonema, Pothos, Philodendron, Nephthytis and plan on using varieties of Impatiens for color. Nothing elaborate, just some tanks, fully stocked with fish and some aquatic plants that require very little maintenance.

B
Thanks. The best kinds of plants to use for ripariums are the true marginal aquatic species. These plants are both adapted to living with their roots in the water or saturated mud and they make the best representation of the riparian shoreline environment. A lot of the plants that are often grown as houseplants are in contrast for more upland areas. Some of them can adapt OK to riparium planting, but most of them will just die because their roots drown.

I have been digging up some more old pictures. Here is a plant that makes a real nice emersed specimen for a high humidity riparium setup, Cryptocoryne pontederiifolia. Many crypts have real soft and floppy foliage when you grow them emersed, but C. pontederiifolia is nice and sturdy.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:20 PM   #9
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Here's another crypt that grows very well in a riparium planter, C. wendtii 'Mi Oya'. This one grew into a huge monster of a plant and the color was amazing. I put a layer of real topsoil in the planter and is why it grew so well.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:38 PM   #10
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Here's another crypt that is great in a riparium planter, C. wendtii 'Tropica'. This plant develops especially wild colors when you grow it emersed. I am sorry that I didn't get a better picture--this shot is so dark--while I had this nice specimen.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:28 PM   #11
c_gwinner
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/100%)

Love the Riparium and all the plants. The crypts look awesome. Looks like you need to start making some larger riparium planters for some of those beasts you have.

What kinda fuana you got living in this tank?

Canon Pimp Club #094
c_gwinner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 05:51 PM   #12
Smitty83
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to Smitty83

I so badly want to do one tank like this but I can't convince my wife because see think it will stink up the whole house. Does it?
Old 11-15-2012, 06:06 PM   #13
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty83 View Post
I so badly want to do one tank like this but I can't convince my wife because see think it will stink up the whole house. Does it?
No more than any other fish tank. The riparium plants use the fish waste products as nutrient sources, so they help to keep the tank water clean.

The only time I have ever had odor problems from aquariums is when I fed with prepared foods having a lot of garlic content.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:24 PM   #14
BeachBum2012
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)

Good luck with returning this tank to its former glory. As usual your photos are great.

Mr Aqua 17g
BeachBum2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 08:23 PM   #15
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_gwinner View Post
Love the Riparium and all the plants. The crypts look awesome. Looks like you need to start making some larger riparium planters for some of those beasts you have.

What kinda fuana you got living in this tank?
Hey thanks! Crypts actually do just fine in that riparium planter model. They don't mind having their roots a bit tight. Really you can plant almost any riparium plant in that size planter. The only time that I use the larger riparium planter is when planting plants with a rhizome that needs extra space to creep along, such as Lasia spinosa or large Anubias.

This tank still has the same four yo-yo loaches and half-dozen gold barbs. The cherry barbs dwindled down to just two individuals. The loaches have grown into real handsome specimens. I might restock my 50g that I have here at home with some loaches.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.