Rummy-nose tetras
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 11-11-2012, 11:48 PM   #1
Blackheart
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Rummy-nose tetras

Why are these guys so hard to find? Every where I go, nobody ever seems to have them. not LFS, not petco, not petsmart. etc. nobody. Do you think a LFS could order these for you if you wanted them?
Blackheart is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 11:53 PM   #2
ThatGuyWithTheFish
perugiae

PTrader: (23/100%)

They might be hard to find because they go fast. Petco should be able to order some for you. They may only stock them on demand.

"Boulders-Upon-Meadow"

My Golden Rule of planted tanks: WWTAD-
"What would Takashi Amano do?"

RAOK Club #69
ThatGuyWithTheFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 11:56 PM   #3
Blackheart
Wannabe Guru

I wanted to get a whole bunch of them. Like, 12-15. But, they only said like 6 come in at a time.
Blackheart is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 12:11 AM   #4
Lowe
Finnex

Throughout my experience with dealers, they're highly susceptible to disease when mixed with other tetras that may be carrying something. Because of that I would contemplate purchasing them from larger chains that have most systems plumped together. That said, die off rate is higher than most tetras which may have lead to some of your smaller shops not carrying a good qty of them. The only store around here that always has a good amount of rummys isolates them in a separate tank ...as they do with other select tetras. Goodluck in your search!

Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 12:14 AM   #5
bigbert22fishiz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I suggest to get them from the wetspot tropical fish. My friend ordered about ten of them from there and they all survived and look great. It might be pricey, but I doubt you will lose some.
bigbert22fishiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 12:25 AM   #6
mcaquatic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

your local LFS probably should be able to get them. All the places around me routinely have them stocked.
mcaquatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 12:25 AM   #7
NYREPS
Planted Member

PTrader: (27/100%)
Send a message via AIM to NYREPS

I just picked up 20 of them on aquabid they were $1 each with $15 shipping with heat packs total was $35 for 20 rummy nose the sellers name is ADI fast shipping only 2 days let me know if you can't find him I have his email address he as lots of them and other fish and plants,I think he has a online store.
NYREPS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 01:08 AM   #8
Tylt33
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYREPS View Post
I just picked up 20 of them on aquabid they were $1 each with $15 shipping with heat packs total was $35 for 20 rummy nose the sellers name is ADI fast shipping only 2 days let me know if you can't find him I have his email address he as lots of them and other fish and plants,I think he has a online store.
He is on our forums too
Tylt33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 03:22 AM   #9
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowe View Post
Throughout my experience with dealers, they're highly susceptible to disease when mixed with other tetras that may be carrying something. Because of that I would contemplate purchasing them from larger chains that have most systems plumped together. That said, die off rate is higher than most tetras which may have lead to some of your smaller shops not carrying a good qty of them. The only store around here that always has a good amount of rummys isolates them in a separate tank ...as they do with other select tetras. Goodluck in your search!
I have to agree with all of this. I ordered 50 of them from my LFS a few weeks ago and they came in on Friday. I got the phone call at 2 telling me they were in and by the time I got there at 4 almost half of them were dead. Against my better judgment I took the rest of them home and after the 2 hours of drip acclimating them 14 more died and by the next morning I had 2 left. I went back to the store saturday and told him about the die off and we both knew that it was more than likely a bad batch. He will be ordering me more in 2 weeks and said he would order 100 next time and see how they are. I have been pretty good friends with the owner since he opened the store about 18 years ago and has always treated me good so I know he will make it right even though it was no fault of his. I would try to stay away from the big chain stores as rummies can be pretty finicky as far as tetras goes but if you get good quality stock to begin with they are no harder to keep than any other tetra.
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ua hua's 90 gal. high tech
ua hua's 5,000 gal. water garden
ua hua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 03:24 AM   #10
fplata
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)

I have some, if you are local to Miami and want some tetras please pm me
fplata is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 03:35 AM   #11
In.a.Box
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYREPS View Post
where can i find this guy? I need another 50 or so.
In.a.Box is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 03:41 AM   #12
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by In.a.Box View Post
where can i find this guy? I need another 50 or so.
I just pm'd him on Friday after my loss to check my other options and he said he didn't know if he would have more until right before Thanksgiving. He is a sponsor Aquarium Design Innovations and his user name is tex627.
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
Old 11-12-2012, 04:52 AM   #13
mitchfish9
Planted Tank Nation

PTrader: (3/100%)

Dont even bother with rummynose at a LFS. I got mine from wetspot, but it is kind of a lot. But i havent lost any so it has been worth it to me.
mitchfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 04:56 AM   #14
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchfish9 View Post
Dont even bother with rummynose at a LFS. I got mine from wetspot, but it is kind of a lot. But i havent lost any so it has been worth it to me.
It all depends on the LFS you are getting them from. After all these fish all come from the same fish farms whether you get them at a LFS or from an online vendor. I do agree that Wetspot has nice quality fish but that has more to do with the way they acclimate them and the care that is taken before they sell them.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:31 AM   #15
Tylt33
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I bought eleven from my two LFS. I plopped them into my one week old tank sans acclimation. I still have eleven, although they're fatter now.
Tylt33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.