Moving - Water Test Results - Advice Needed
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 11-15-2012, 01:23 AM   #1
wyerz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Moving - Water Test Results - Advice Needed

Hello All. I am moving yet again and this time to a new home that will be on well water which is a first for me. I have inclued my first water test which passed (hooray!) and I'm hoping you could give me some insight to what I should expect and any sage advice for you folks on well water would be much appreciated.
wyerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 01:47 AM   #2
wyerz
Algae Grower

Seems that I forgot to attach the results. I hope this works....

Old 11-15-2012, 03:05 AM   #3
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

Seems there is a trace of nitrate. That is a low level, not a problem for a planted tank.

The other info is not very useful.

Here is what will be of more use:

What are the current conditions in the tanks?
GH, KH, TDS

What does the well water test:
GH, KH, TDS

Here is the concern:
Your fish are acclimated to a certain level of salts and minerals in their water.
When you move the new water may be different.
You want to spread out the time it takes to acclimate the fish so they can change their metabolism to match the new water. This can take as long as a month if the water is that different.

1) If the new water is softer than the current water: Go get some distilled or RO water and blend a little bit with each of the water changes between now and the time you move so that the GH, KH and TDS drop no more than about 10% each time. You can make that sort of change about twice a week.
If you need to move, and the fish are not yet acclimated, then move, but add some minerals to the water change water from the well so that you continue that slow acclimation to the new water.

2) If the new water is harder than the current water:
Add some minerals to the current water so that you change the GH, KH and TDS by as much as 15% with each water change. You can do this twice a week. You could also add the minerals without doing a water change, but no more than enough to make the GH, KH and TDS 15% higher at any one time.
If you need to move and the fish are not yet acclimated then buy some distilled or RO water and blend it with the well water for each water change to continue the 15% change schedule until the fish are acclimated.

3) If there is no way to acclimate them, they are not suited to that water, then you may need to buy an RO unit to make the water softer or buy minerals to make the water harder.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:42 AM   #4
wyerz
Algae Grower

Ok, this makes sense and thanks for the quick response. I don't have much spare time these days since I travel a ton, but I do want to take good care of the plants and fish when I move. I'll see if I can get a more detailed test the second time around and I'll try get into the house to run some of my own tests to get a little more detail or at least a better picture of what I am working with.

Thanks again!
Old 11-15-2012, 02:09 PM   #5
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

While the above advise is excellent in all ways, there is another item to keep in mind. Sometimes we worry too much! I don't advise mistreating the fish but then being real about it tells me they will be a small problem among many large problems when we move.
If it helps the nervous feeling, think of how many fish are bought at LFS or shipped in from somewhere, dumped in the tank and do fine. Better if it is not done but not fatal in must cases.
Most likely the fish will adapt and find the well water is fine. The mortgage or the lease will be bigger things to watch carefully! Enjoy!
PlantedRich is online now   Reply With Quote