CO2 safety, Read! - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 11-13-2012, 03:41 AM   #31
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Anybody who responds to Nigerian e-mails goes on my suspect list!

I read last night that the Bay bridge is for sale. If you send me $20 I will send you the information Priority Mail. Sooner to respond quick as deal is not open to folks many.
PlantedRich is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 04:32 AM   #32
Steve001
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
This is another example of alarming news from people who lack training/understanding of the equipment.
If the pilot light goes out for any reason, the thermocouple cools and the gas supply is cut off. Your house does NOT blow up but you will find a cold shower.
Well mister smarty pants we all can't be up on the latest workings of water heaters. It did happen.
Steve001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 08:54 PM   #33
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Sure, the CO2 can put the water heater pilot out if it is thick enough. The point is that it really is no big deal when the pilot goes out. This whole thread is built on passing on information to make people panic!
There are folks whose main job is designing safety features and making sure consumers are safe when they use equipment. A water heater is designed to avoid gas leaking and blowing up the house. People can screw things up but they have to work at it to blow the house up. The same things apply to using CO2. In this country, if it doesn't have big tags warning you of the hazard, it is likely there is no hazard there.
It is worth noting that there are no warnings on CO2 and there are millions of CO2 tanks used all over for all sorts of work.
Even kids who are not allowed to buy model glue are allowed to buy CO2!
PlantedRich is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2014, 10:14 PM   #34
Ryan, Monroe, LA
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

One of the 48 Hours/Dateline/20/20 news shows had a mystery segment a few years back about a couple's death in a dorm room. When they finally solved the case, it turned out to be CO2 (not CO) poisoning. I can't remember the exact details of the prank, but it involved the next door neighbors shooting something CO2-laden through a hole in the wall. I don't think it was a fire extinguisher... may have been dry ice, but then again I don't know how you'd shoot that through a hole in the wall.

There have been other CO2-related asphyxiations in the news over the years as well, so don't think this cannot happen even with 5 or 10 lb cylinders in a non-hermaticaly sealed room. When it comes to CO2, the danger is not (just) displacing oxygen, which was somewhat of a surprise to me when I learned that fact. CO2 can bind with hemoglobin preferentially (over oxygen) in much the same way CO poisoning happens, abeit at higher concentrations.

Truly non-poisonous gases like nitrogen, helium and argon on the other hand will not bond at all with hemoglobin and only become dangerous when they displace too much O2 to support life. It is interesting and important to note, however, that amongst the truly non-poisonous gasses, nitrogen holds a unique and hidden danger. It has a long history of causing fatalities in industry because the human brain cannot detect a difference between breathing air (78% nitrogen) and higher concentrations of nitrogen. When you breath other non-poisonous gas mixures that are low in oxygen, such as exhaled air (high in CO2) or helium, your brain can tell what is being breathed deficient in oxygen. Your brain perceives pure nitrogen as it would well-oxigenated air, leading to sudden asphyxiation and death with almost no forewarning.

Last edited by Ryan, Monroe, LA; 03-24-2014 at 11:00 PM.. Reason: .
Ryan, Monroe, LA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2014, 03:15 AM   #35
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan, Monroe, LA View Post
One of the 48 Hours/Dateline/20/20 news shows had a mystery segment a few years back about a couple's death in a dorm room. When they finally solved the case, it turned out to be CO2 (not CO) poisoning.
There was an episode of CSI: Las Vegas that had a similar plot.

Quote:
When it comes to CO2, the danger is not (just) displacing oxygen, which was somewhat of a surprise to me when I learned that fact. CO2 can bind with hemoglobin preferentially (over oxygen) in much the same way CO poisoning happens, abeit at higher concentrations.
Hemoglobin will bind CO2 preferentially over O2, but it depends on several factors (form of the hemoglobin, CO2 and O2 concentrations, pH). That's how CO2 is removed from tissues

Quote:
It is interesting and important to note, however, that amongst the truly non-poisonous gasses, nitrogen holds a unique and hidden danger. It has a long history of causing fatalities in industry because the human brain cannot detect a difference between breathing air (78% nitrogen) and higher concentrations of nitrogen.
This is true of any inert gas.

Quote:
When you breath other non-poisonous gas mixures that are low in oxygen, such as exhaled air (high in CO2) or helium, your brain can tell what is being breathed deficient in oxygen. Your brain perceives pure nitrogen as it would well-oxigenated air, leading to sudden asphyxiation and death with almost no forewarning.
No; these are two separate things.

If you are breathing in gas mixtures that are low in oxygen, but also low in CO2 (an inert gas, such as nitrogen, helium, argon, etc), you can still asphyxiate because of the lack of oxygen. The body is unable to feel any pain because CO2 is still being eliminated as normal.

However, if you are breathing the same inert gas, but with CO2, then your body will be sense that you are not getting enough oxygen.

In short, feelings of asphyxiation are due to the buildup of CO2 in the bloodstream.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.