CO2 safety, Read! - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 11-12-2012, 01:53 PM   #16
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

So what we have is a warning about a hazard that doesn't exist in normal use, based on information from an internet article whose URL includes "doomed globe" written by somebody who is likely a nut?
Isn't the internet a place to get some wonderful information to pass around to anyone would needs another worry? ?

If I ever hear of a planted tank fan being struck down by his CO2, then I might worry. But NOT if the info comes from the internet!
PlantedRich is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 02:32 PM   #17
Steve001
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas_one View Post
Yes, also beware of deadly dihydrogen oxide!
It's Dihydrogen Monoxide. Monoxide makes it sound deadlier.
Steve001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 02:47 PM   #18
Steve001
Wannabe Guru

There is a real caution that should be made aware but not alarming. Especially if you keep your house closed up in winter and summer. It concerns the pilot light in the water heater. If there's a high enough co2 gas leak and if the co2 has nowhere to vent to the outside it will pool in your basement. With enough co2 in your basement the pilot light can be snuffed out creating a gas leak. So, If you smell something bad and you've been tinkering with the co2 tank, don't blame the dog, go check the waterheater pilot light. And if you smell something bad at night don't flip on any light switches.

I once vented a nearly empty co2 tank in my living room and did snuff out the pilot light.
Steve001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 03:24 PM   #19
proaudio55
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
So what we have is a warning about a hazard that doesn't exist in normal use, based on information from an internet article whose URL includes "doomed globe" written by somebody who is likely a nut?
Isn't the internet a place to get some wonderful information to pass around to anyone would needs another worry? ?

If I ever hear of a planted tank fan being struck down by his CO2, then I might worry. But NOT if the info comes from the internet!
Thank you!
I don't buy into the "sky is falling" type of nonsense being posted here. CO2 poisoning is only going to happen in an absolutely sealed environment, a perfect example is a space ship capsule (Apollo 13).

The MSDS's are written with BULK storage in mind. Your tiny portable tank is a pipsqueak in comparison to industrial scale vessels. Below is from work: it's 350 gallons of liquid argon, something to be respectful of. A little 10lb CO2 bottle certainly has a lot of destructive / hazardous potential but let's keep that in perspective.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pH..._portablec.jpg
proaudio55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 05:17 PM   #20
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Here is a video demonstrating how some industries use CO2 as a fire suppressant system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q303E9mLujQ

Note the amount of gas that is being released, and also the fact that the camera man just remains in the room for the entire video duration. No problem.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 05:27 PM   #21
nvladik
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

This thread might explain my cat's behavior last few days.
NIKON pimp #017
Sump pimp #014
nvladik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 05:35 PM   #22
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (46/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvladik View Post
This thread might explain my cat's behavior last few days.
Is it being anti-social and not obeying commands? Those are classic symptoms of co2 toxicity. Oh no wait.. those are symptoms of a cat.
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experimenting itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ua hua's 90 gal. high tech
ua hua's 5,000 gal. water garden
ua hua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 07:54 PM   #23
Bettatail
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (82/98%)

hey, guys, I never said co2 is toxic gas, and never treat it like toxic gas...
so don't expect me to put on my gas mask or thinking that I wanted you to put on your gas mask, when playing with co2 equipment.

build some good number systems, and play with co2 tank all the time, never worry co2 would hurt me because co2 is not toxic gas.

The safety concern of CO2 is its concentration in air.
no matter how much and how you use it, if you stay in the environment where the co2 concentration is less than the point that cause trouble, it should be fine.

Quote:

I don't know anything about the site contains any "doomed globe", but the page about the co2 concentration safety make no much difference if you google "co2 concentration safety", other websites will pop up and you will see pretty much the same description about co2 concentration safety, some are hard to read because too technical.
Bettatail is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 08:05 PM   #24
Bettatail
Planted Tank Guru

It is the dose that kill, any substance can be toxic if give the proper amount
Old 11-12-2012, 08:07 PM   #25
Bettatail
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ua hua View Post
Is it being anti-social and not obeying commands? Those are classic symptoms of co2 toxicity. Oh no wait.. those are symptoms of a cat.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:44 PM   #26
jan db
Algae Grower

good advice
jan db is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 12:33 AM   #27
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
There is a real caution that should be made aware but not alarming. Especially if you keep your house closed up in winter and summer. It concerns the pilot light in the water heater. If there's a high enough co2 gas leak and if the co2 has nowhere to vent to the outside it will pool in your basement. With enough co2 in your basement the pilot light can be snuffed out creating a gas leak. So, If you smell something bad and you've been tinkering with the co2 tank, don't blame the dog, go check the waterheater pilot light. And if you smell something bad at night don't flip on any light switches.

I once vented a nearly empty co2 tank in my living room and did snuff out the pilot light.

This is another example of alarming news from people who lack training/understanding of the equipment.
If the pilot light goes out for any reason, the thermocouple cools and the gas supply is cut off. Your house does NOT blow up but you will find a cold shower.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:35 AM   #28
Mostro
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
If you smell something bad at night don't flip on any light switches.
This is profound, time-honored advice for any number of situations.

If you had to identify, in one word, the reason why the human race has not achieved, and never will achieve, its full potential, that word would be "meetings." óDave Barry
Mostro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 12:43 AM   #29
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

Quote: I don't know anything about the site contains any "doomed globe",

The DOOMED GLOBE is the start of the URL you posted. If you did not question WHERE you read the information you posted, how can you possibly have given it any critical thought before passing it on as truth?

If you don't question what you are reading on the internet, there may really be a danger of you hurting yourself with CO2! Shissh! Are you still expecting to get that money from Nigeria?
Old 11-13-2012, 02:08 AM   #30
Bettatail
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Quote: I don't know anything about the site contains any "doomed globe",

The DOOMED GLOBE is the start of the URL you posted. If you did not question WHERE you read the information you posted, how can you possibly have given it any critical thought before passing it on as truth?

If you don't question what you are reading on the internet, there may really be a danger of you hurting yourself with CO2! Shissh! Are you still expecting to get that money from Nigeria?
so forget about that page from doomed globe, google the "co2 concentration safety" and pick the links other than "doomed globe", and read.

Nigeria scam is fun, I used to respond to those emails back in 2005, just tried to make them work harder to get me on hook, then block or report their emails.
put aside the Nigeria scam, I am not really sure the link that I provided has anything directly relate to Nigeria scam or any misleading instruction on how to properly handle co2, it is about the co2 concentration safety anyway. And I don't think I will be in a danger of hurting myself with co2.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.