white box picture of tobacco hornworm
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Photography

Old 11-10-2012, 03:26 PM   #1
EWTC
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

white box picture of tobacco hornworm

Today I posted a few white box pictures of tobacco hornworms (Manduca sexta) on my blog. Apparently this species ranges into British Columbia, but I’ve never found one. And there certainly wouldn’t be any available in the wild locally at this time of year. I bought these specimens in a local per shop. I was there to pick up some crickets (mantid and scorpion food) and saw that they had some of these caterpillars for sale. Needless to say, I purchased some to play with.

These are fun critters, not that they do much—they are really just big fat eating machines. Hopefully they will thrive and pupate…eventually providing me with some adult tobacco hornworm moths to photograph.

Cheers,
EC
www.macrocritters.wordpress.com
hornworm whitebox copyright Ernie Cooper 2012_filtered by ernie.cooper, on Flickr
EWTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 03:43 PM   #2
Da Plant Man
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)

Those things are terrible and beautiful. They ruin tons of crops every year and I have no doubt you will keep it contained, but just so you know.

Excellent photo. I need to get a good macro lens and build a whitebox. I love these types of shots and want to do something similar but with plants.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
Da Plant Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:10 PM   #3
DanSanDiego
Algae Grower

Very cool pictures! I must say that I am surprised that you could buy something like that in a pet store. Even our local pet stores do not have that kind of "depth" of inventory.
Here in San Diego, ca they show up only on tomato's. Even though I do a lot of gardening, last year was the first time I ever saw little ones. About 1 1/4ins long. I usually find the adults 3 1/2 to 4in long. hehehe They get squished here!
DanSanDiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:31 PM   #4
Da Plant Man
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)

And when you do squish them, their 'guts and blood' are all green.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
Da Plant Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:35 PM   #5
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (140/100%)

Great picture!

Those things eat like crazy. My mom had a potted tomato plant on the porch last summer and the whole thing was destroyed almost overnight by a couple of Manduca caterpillars.
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:53 AM   #6
zzrguy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Anything eat them like fish or frogs.

29gal
zzrguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:59 PM   #7
daylily
Algae Grower

I never kill the tomato worm on my tomatoes because they always have white little rice-like eggs on them. A parasitic wasp lays them, and they will kill the caterpillar. So - try never to kill one that has the eggs on it. When I find them, I take them off the tomato and put them on a plant in the edge of the woods.

Neat shot!!!
daylily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:42 PM   #8
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

Nice pic!

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:48 PM   #9
EWTC
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMYukonon24s View Post
Nice pic!
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylily View Post
I never kill the tomato worm on my tomatoes because they always have white little rice-like eggs on them. A parasitic wasp lays them, and they will kill the caterpillar. So - try never to kill one that has the eggs on it. When I find them, I take them off the tomato and put them on a plant in the edge of the woods.

Neat shot!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
Great picture!

Those things eat like crazy. My mom had a potted tomato plant on the porch last summer and the whole thing was destroyed almost overnight by a couple of Manduca caterpillars.

Thank you!
EC
Old 11-15-2012, 06:49 PM   #10
EWTC
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSanDiego View Post
Very cool pictures! I must say that I am surprised that you could buy something like that in a pet store. Even our local pet stores do not have that kind of "depth" of inventory.
Here in San Diego, ca they show up only on tomato's. Even though I do a lot of gardening, last year was the first time I ever saw little ones. About 1 1/4ins long. I usually find the adults 3 1/2 to 4in long. hehehe They get squished here!
Thanks! They are actually elling them as live pet food along with crickets, mealworms and silk worms. I assume someone local is culturing them.

Cheers,
EC
Old 11-15-2012, 06:51 PM   #11
EWTC
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzrguy View Post
Anything eat them like fish or frogs.
I believe the wild ones are toxic because of the plants they feed on. But those raised in captivity on wheat germ make good prey items for critters. That is what the pet shop I bought them at was selling them for.

EC