Local source for fry food?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Colorado

Old 11-05-2012, 08:19 PM   #1
Monk3y God
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Local source for fry food?

Hi all! New to the hobby, and have been learning quite a bit, very quickly.

I have seen plenty of places online that sell microworms and bbs eggs, but I have Ram eggs in the tank and I need to source some food for the fry within the next few days. Any LFS that carry this stuff? Will prepared fry food work(Hikari first bites, etc.)?

Thanks in advance.
Monk3y God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:25 PM   #2
BBradbury
Wannabe Guru

Default Fry Food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk3y God View Post
Hi all! New to the hobby, and have been learning quite a bit, very quickly.

I have seen plenty of places online that sell microworms and bbs eggs, but I have Ram eggs in the tank and I need to source some food for the fry within the next few days. Any LFS that carry this stuff? Will prepared fry food work(Hikari first bites, etc.)?

Thanks in advance.
Hello Monk...

Unless you're breeding rare fish with special nutrient requirements, then save a little and get frozen food at the pet store (LFS). I feed my fry frozen brine and mysis shrimp, bloodworms, krill and plankton. The frozen should have two ingredients: the frozen animal and water. This is the most nutritious. I feed every few hours and the little ones grow very quickly.

Just a thought.

B
Old 11-05-2012, 11:56 PM   #3
zimbo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to zimbo

So i do buy most of my fry foods on line as rainbows tend to need quite small fry food, however, in the times i've run down to petsmart for an item or two, they usually do have at least one type of fry starter food.

I've never bred rams, but have had a couple and given they're not huge fish, i don't quite know about starting them on frozen brine and blood worms, it seems a bit large for me for fry...maybe live newly hatched brine shrimp, but the frozen stuff is large and you'd have to grind it a fair bit to start with. I can't get rainbows onto that until they are several weeks old. I tend to go golden pearls/artificial rotifers, newly hatched brine shrimp at about a week, then start the frozen brine shrimp/bloodworms at a few weeks depending on how fast they grow.

That's just my five cents, and again, i have no experience breeding rams. I can't say i've ever seen any of the LFS's stock fry food, but that's just what i've noticed. Try petsmart and see what they have. The one i saw that had it (and it was months ago) was the one next to the aurora mall. Each breeder seems to develop a regimen that works for them. Its ideal to feed fry frequently, but the reality is that most people aren't at home all day, and you can get away with twice a day just fine. I have had eggs get into an established tank and had them survive for weeks without any supplemental food. Fry aren't always as fragile as we think they are.
zimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:04 PM   #4
Monk3y God
Algae Grower

Has anyone tried frozen daphnia? I saw those at Petsmart. Are those too big for fry?
Monk3y God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:01 AM   #5
DenverTankCollector
Algae Grower

Default Fry food

I usually hatch baby brine shrimp for my fry. I start them on live baby brine for two days, then switch them by giving them every other meal of frozen baby brine. Then every other meal of ground dry food, then they can grow on ground dry food. Then feed a few full sized frozen brine shrimp, they will pick at it and show you a growth spurt you won't believe. For a dry food, I just crush up Tetramin in a small plastic bag, it powders up real good. In a pinch I have fed the powdered food from day one and gotten 60% survival. I also have vinegar eels, if you want a start I can spare one. Read about them on line. They make a good starting food. A good write up is on www.selectaquatics.com on his live food page. I find micro worms too much trouble.
Tanks: 2@100, 2@75 12@55, 5@40, 2@30, 30@29, 45@20, 10@10, auto water change system, all planted, endangered and extinct in the wild fish, many C.A.R.E.S list, lots and lots of angels and anything challenging. Currently have many Killifish (Blue Gularis & 6 other types) and growing Desert gobys. My hobby is changing water.... +koi pond, planted outdoor tanks in garden.
DenverTankCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:45 AM   #6
HypnoticAquatic
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

one thing im glad i got was a mortar/pestle for grinding up food
HypnoticAquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:46 AM   #7
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk3y God View Post
Has anyone tried frozen daphnia? I saw those at Petsmart. Are those too big for fry?
Go to Aqua imports and grab some frozen cyclops. It is great very small food. they should work fine for you. my baby CPD's loved them.
Noahma is offline   Reply With Quote