ALGAE ID...what is it?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 11-12-2012, 04:50 PM   #1
goober_1407

PTrader: (0/0%)

ALGAE ID...what is it?

I have a 55 gal that has been set up for 2 years now and this is my first algae outbreak. It has been going on for about 2 months now. Every two weeks I go in and clip all the leaves that I can see that are infected but of course I don't get it all so it comes back with vigor. Can anyone tell me what this algae is and what is the best way to get rid of it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Algae 1.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	56969  

Name:	Algae 3.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	56970  

Name:	Algae 4.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	56971  

Name:	Algae 5.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	56972  

Name:	Algae 2.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	56973  

goober_1407 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 05:07 PM   #2
chevyguy8893
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

It looks like black brush algae to me, but I could be wrong. The only way I have found to get rid of that algae is to remove the badly covered leaves, spot treat the small spots with seachem excel if your tank allows for it, and identify the source of the outbreak (i.e. too much light). If I identified it correctly, I will leave the details of eliminating it to the more experienced members.
chevyguy8893 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 05:07 PM   #3
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (46/100%)

That is BBA and as far as getting rid of it..... Good luck. The reasons for it appearing are low co2, too much light, buildup of organics, and whatever else somebody wants to blame it in or a combination of all of them. Some kind of imbalance is the most straight forward answer. I have had it come and then disappear completely just to come back again. You can do a search for BBA and see all the threads that are started about this. You can spot treat with Excel or hydrogen peroxide and keep it from spreading.
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experimenting itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ua hua's 90 gal. high tech
ua hua's 5,000 gal. water garden
ua hua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 05:09 PM   #4
BBradbury
Wannabe Guru

Default Algae

Hello goob...

Pretty good pics. The stuff just looks like a variety of hair algae. I had it in my 55 Gs at one time. It grew on plants and even on my tank heaters. Very fine stuff. But pretty.

Anyway, reduce the amount you feed. By reducing the dissolved nutrients in the water, there won't be enough to sustain the algae, so it will start to shrink.

I feed my fish and plants just a little a couple of times a week. Fish and plants are extremely small and don't require much food. In nature, they're fortunate to eat once a week, so don't overdo it and you won't have algae problems.

B
Old 11-12-2012, 05:15 PM   #5
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (46/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury View Post
Hello goob...

Pretty good pics. The stuff just looks like a variety of hair algae. I had it in my 55 Gs at one time. It grew on plants and even on my tank heaters. Very fine stuff. But pretty.

Anyway, reduce the amount you feed. By reducing the dissolved nutrients in the water, there won't be enough to sustain the algae, so it will start to shrink.

I feed my fish and plants just a little a couple of times a week. Fish and plants are extremely small and don't require much food. In nature, they're fortunate to eat once a week, so don't overdo it and you won't have algae problems.

B
That is not hair algae. It's most definitely BBA. Check the sticky at the top of this forum and look under the Algae resource guide.
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experimenting itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ua hua's 90 gal. high tech
ua hua's 5,000 gal. water garden
ua hua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 12:17 AM   #6
Gooberfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to Gooberfish

I've had bba before. I did a large water chagne and just tossed away the plants that had it, and I haven't seen it since.

Btw, nice name
Gooberfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 12:29 AM   #7
goober_1407

That is what I just finished doing...75% water change, scrubbed the walls and filters, cut my plants back about 75% as well. Lets see what happens.
goober_1407 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.