Planted 37g and Intro
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 11-08-2012, 06:19 PM   #1
jshaffer740
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Planted 37g and Intro

Hi guys!

This is my first post to the forum - I've been lurking for a while. Anyway, I started this planted tank journey with a 37g planted tank that is currently doing well. It has more of a natural look and less (for lack of a better word) "Designy." It's been up and running for a few months, but only a couple weeks ago did I decide to switch from artificial to live plants. I have it running a Aquaticlife T5HO dual bulb. I'm currently dosing EI and using Excel. However I have an Atomic V3 system coming from GLA tomorrow, so CO2 injection should be up and running this weekend.

I also decided I wanted to try my hand at a smaller tank, with more of a minimalistic, focused design. Also, I didn't give as much thought to the aquascape with my first tank, so I wanted to try something a little different.

I picked up a Fluval Spec V at the lfs yesterday and just set it up last night. It only has two varieties of plants, and the hardscape consists of one type porous black stone, and a dark substrate. I am planning on making it a single-species tank with group of small schooling fish (haven't decided on a species yet). It is currently up and going through a fishless cycle using ammonia, and seeded with some filter media from my cannister on the 37g.

I'm dosing SeaChem Flourish Excel, and a modified EI method for ferts. Unlike my 37g, I probably will not do a CO2 system on this tank (pending success of the Excel).

Please let me know what you think of the aquascape for both, and if you have any suggestions in general. The photos were taken on my cell phone, so I apologize for quality.

Thanks and glad to be part of the forum!

jshaffer740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 06:36 PM   #2
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

Welcome to the forum. Nice setups

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:19 PM   #3
kruzerman
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

I like your background on the 37. It is a very difficult size to scape (tall and skinny front to back). It has taken quite a while for mine to grow in enough for the height to not feel like a disadvantage. Your plant choice looks good and should fill out nicely.
kruzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:27 PM   #4
jshaffer740
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruzerman View Post
I like your background on the 37. It is a very difficult size to scape (tall and skinny front to back). It has taken quite a while for mine to grow in enough for the height to not feel like a disadvantage. Your plant choice looks good and should fill out nicely.

Thanks for the reply. I do like the background as well - I wanted to hide all of the tubing, etc, but didn't like the look of "fake" plants on a typical background, so I went with something that replicates real stone in the back. You're correct, it is a difficult size to scape with all of that height. The size just fit well with the area that I placed the tank, so I decided I could make it work. The funny thing is, soon after posting yesterday, I decided to do a pretty major rescape. When I have a moment, I'll post update pictures. I really should just start a tank journal!
Old 11-09-2012, 05:25 PM   #5
jshaffer740
Algae Grower

Here is the new scape. Water is a little cloudy still, but let me know what you think!