Post-Sandy tap water?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > New York

Old 11-08-2012, 12:58 PM   #1
MrBrongher
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Post-Sandy tap water?

Has anyone done any testing or big water changes since the storm? I've misplaced my TDS meter. I actually have a 30 gallon I filled up before the hurricane (Just in case we lost water) that I've been using for small changes and top offs, but I'm hoping its time to relax.

If we just dosed extra chlorine I'm not too concerned, but if we had any sort of contamination I'd like to know about it beforehand not postmortem if possible.
MrBrongher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 01:35 PM   #2
Fuze
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (27/100%)

I did about a 40% last night, I am up here in Washington Heights. I think the nearest water treatment plant is around 125th St.

So far I have had no problems, I did not lose power during the hurricane or the little flurry last night.

I would say you are good to go.
Fuze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:56 PM   #3
ryu1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (53/100%)

I did a wc 2 days ago as usual, everything seems normal, but I did add a little more prime just in case from Queens.
ryu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:29 PM   #4
MrBrongher
Planted Member

So, looks good. I'll update after my WC, probably tomorrowish, let people know if anything looks amiss.

Thanks guys!
Old 11-09-2012, 01:02 AM   #5
chibikaie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm a little farther away, but no ill effects and I've changed at least 20 gallons since Sandy.
chibikaie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:39 AM   #6
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I've worked hurricanes in the South and I would assume that your area water will be treated much the same. They have federal guidelines to follow on health. Keep in mind that the health department may be busy but they are still doing their jobs. They are also drinking the same water as everybody else. They are not out to poison folks.
What that means is the guys taking the water samples all around the system and sending them in for testing are still there. If the testing comes back that the water is bad, they put out the word not to drink the water. Heard of any boil water orders for your system? If not, the water is safe.
If the water smells like chlorine, it is because the test shows more is needed but it still will be within the safe limits and Prime, etc. is sure to handle it. If there is some sediment in the tap it is just logical that the pipes got a pretty good shaking. If you've got trees, cars, and houses floating around, is there any reason a bit of rust won't come off the inside of the pipes?
The water may look funny or smell funny but it is safe if they have not said otherwise. That rust is the same rust that the water runs through every day. It's just loose and coming to your house to stop up those little screens on faucets!

This is just a routine hurricane except that it is New YORK instead of New ORLEANS.
No better, no worse if you are ready for it.
PlantedRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:31 AM   #7
MrBrongher
Planted Member

Maybe I'm overly cautious, maybe I misunderstand biology, but I think that the quality of water I can drink is less demanding than the water my fish are going to live in and breathe. Water goes down my gullet into an acid bath. For that matter, I can drink coca-cola, which is an acid bath. Try doing a water change with coke.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with your stance as it regards water potability for humans, I just don't think it's relevant to my concerns.

Maybe it's because I used the word "contaminated," I probably could have picked a better one there.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:39 AM   #8
aokashi
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

I've changed my bettas water about 3 times since the hurricane. All 99% WCs. double dose of prime. seems to be ok
aokashi is offline   Reply With Quote