Bye Hurricane Sandy, Hello Nor'easter thread is here
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > New York

Old 10-26-2012, 09:14 PM   #1
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

Bye Hurricane Sandy, Hello Nor'easter thread is here

Mts mass transit status updates: http://www.mta.info/
Bus map http://http://alert.mta.info/sites/default/files/pdf/QueensBusMap.pdf
weather status without all the ads

MTA Working To Restore Transit Service In Wake Of Historic Storm

Local, Limited-Stop and Express Bus service will operate as close to a normal weekday schedule as possible today, as NYC Transit and MTA Bus continue efforts to restore service following Hurricane Sandy. As was the case yesterday, bus service will operate on a fare-free basis.[censored] Subway service remains suspended on all lines, as clean up and water remediation efforts continue, especially in underwater tunnels linking Brooklyn and Manhattan that were flooded during the storm.

Access-A-Ride will[censored]begin limited service on Wed Oct 31.[censored][censored] If you need a trip of medical necessity (dialysis, chemotherapy or radiation) please call 1-877-337-2017, and every[censored]effort will be made to provide the trip.[censored] Please note that all subscription trips for Wed. Oct 31 and[censored]Thurs Nov 1 are cancelled.[censored] On Wed Oct 31 beginning at noon, we will begin to take reservations for travel after 12pm on[censored]Thurs Nov. 1.[censored][censored] This will begin the resumption of[censored]Access-A-Ride service.

Both Long Island Rail Road and Metro-North Railroad service remains suspended today, as damage assessment and repair work continues on the nationís two largest commuter railroads continues. All of the bridges operated by MTA Bridges & Tunnels are open to traffic with the exception of the Cross Bay Bridge.[censored]The Hugh L. Carey and Queens Midtown Tunnels remain closed.

At first light Tuesday, thousands of MTA workers fanned out[censored]across the system to inspect and begin repairing the damage caused the massively destructive storm of historic proportions.[censored] No corner of the 5,000 square mile MTA service region was spared.[censored] Metro-North Railroad lost electric power from 59th[censored]Street to Croton-Harmon on the Hudson Line and east to New Haven on the New Haven Line. The Long Island Rail Road sustained damage in its West Side Yard and suffered flooding in two East River tunnels. Both railroads spent the better part of Tuesday removing downed power lines and trees along the right of way, in addition to removing mud and other debris that washed up on to the tracks. In the case of Metro-North, that means a pleasure boat that washed ashore near the Ossining Station on the Hudson Line.

Bridges and Tunnels suffered major damage with flooding of the Hugh L. Carey Tunnel from end to end and the Queens Midtown Tunnel also took on water. [censored]Damage is extremely heavy in downtown Manhattan where several subway lines converge.[censored] The South Ferry station was filled track to ceiling with water as were several of the subway tunnels.

It is still too early to say how long it will take to restore the system to full service. This is will be an exhaustive, time-consuming process with one goal: to restore safe and efficient service to 8.5 million daily MTA customers.[censored] It must be noted, however, that this process could have taken much longer had we not taken the pre-emptive measure of suspending all service to safeguard our equipment and prepare facilities to the best of our ability.[censored][censored][censored][censored][censored]

[censored]

New York City Transit
Local, Limited-Stop and Express Bus service will operate as close to a normal weekday schedule as possible today, as NYC Transit and MTA Bus continue efforts to restore service following Hurricane Sandy. As was the case yesterday, bus service will operate on a fare-free basis. Subway service remains suspended on all lines, as clean up and water remediation efforts continue, especially in underwater tunnels linking Brooklyn and Manhattan that were flooded during the storm.

Last edited by acitydweller; 11-07-2012 at 07:30 PM.. Reason: Ssssdddsdd
acitydweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2012, 09:26 PM   #2
cprash
Keeper of Pencilfish

PTrader: (20/100%)
Send a message via AIM to cprash

Looks like we won't get hit directly. The protected path has it turning and hitting Delaware instead.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:56 PM   #3
jorgesdq

PTrader: (0/0%)

I'm in the Dominican Republic, and we didn't get hit directly, just got the bands. It has been pretty bad. A lot of flooding. Haven't see this much rain since we were hit by Noel and Olga a few years ago. If you are in the eastern US get ready for a lot of rain.
jorgesdq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:21 AM   #4
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

woah... thanks jorgesdq. i have a sump pump on stand by
Old 10-27-2012, 01:46 AM   #5
aokashi
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

gas still runs in the case if a power outage right...?
aokashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:51 AM   #6
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

Natural gas, yes
Old 10-27-2012, 04:02 AM   #7
Congee
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Whoah sounds scary. Always got standing water ready!
Congee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:14 AM   #8
RWaters
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
gas still runs in the case if a power outage right...?
Yes, but you may need to light the stove with a match since the electronic ignition won't work. If you hear a clicking sound as you turn on the burner, your oven has an electronic ignition.
RWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:15 AM   #9
frrok
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

damn, where can i get a battery operated pump in a pinch? Im just worried about power outages mostly, due to the high winds. hope for the best I guess.

edit: just realized im over 1000 posts!!
The Fraternity of Dirt #11
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
frrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:17 AM   #10
Bluek24a4
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Have fun down there in Rockaway frrok!
Bluek24a4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:18 AM   #11
frrok
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluek24a4 View Post
Have fun down there in Rockaway frrok!
LOL! thanks!! your not that far buddy!

last year everyone bugged out with Irene and there was no power outages...but alot of flooding!! my place didnt flood tho...
The Fraternity of Dirt #11
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
frrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:18 AM   #12
Monster Fish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frrok View Post
damn, where can i get a battery operated pump in a pinch? Im just worried about power outages mostly, due to the high winds. hope for the best I guess.

edit: just realized im over 1000 posts!!
Try Petland Discounts.
RAOK Club #77|The Fraternity of Dirt #112
Monster Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:39 AM   #13
Bluek24a4
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frrok View Post
LOL! thanks!! your not that far buddy!

last year everyone bugged out with Irene and there was no power outages...but alot of flooding!! my place didnt flood tho...

Hahaha, I am further away from the water than you though!

I was unaffected by Irene last year also.
Bluek24a4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:45 AM   #14
aznrice247
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (31/97%)

I'm happy I don't live near a beach. However I live in a town that was build by idiots. "Oh lets place the towns power plant near the pond that can easily be flooded.... NOT on higher ground." So with Irene we lost power even though It shouldn't have happened. If the town decided to spend money on things like this, rather then waste it on stupid decorations in the town or remodeling the middle school.
aznrice247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:05 AM   #15
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

Well thangsgiving and Xmas are such festive times of the year. Besides, who expects a hurricane in late October/November... I mean seriously.... This isn't summer anymore.

More to come. Someone said in passing the store is forecast to hit Delaware but I'm still going to get my rain gear on and work from home. I am not going to walk home from mahanttan again... Did that twice in two years, 9/11, then the following year for the NYC blackout.