My 75g, first time planted tank - 56k Warning
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 02-09-2013, 01:57 PM   #1
Grimnokk
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

My 75g, first time planted tank - 56k Warning

Hey guys,

Been lurking here on the forums for a while now, trying to learn as much as I could. I got the tank planted last night, so I thought I would start a journal to keep track of progress (like most), or even lack of progress. I guess we'll see.

So I guess I should start with the list of things.

Equipment
  • Lighting - 48" AquaticLife T5 HO Dual Lamp
  • Filtration - Rena XP3 and SunSun 304B
  • Heater - I dont remember the type, but its a 300W Titanium
  • Substrate - 120 pounds Eco Complete
  • Working on my own Arduino Controller as we speak

Flora
  • Rotala Rotundifolia
  • Valisneria Spiralis
  • Watersprite
  • Rotala Macrandra
  • Purple Cabomba
  • Crypt Lutea
  • Dwarf Aquarium Lily
  • Anubias Barteri
  • Red Melon Sword
  • Red Ozelot Sword
  • Crypt Parva
  • Narrow Leaf Ludwigia
  • Narrow Leaf Java Fern
  • Crypt WendtiiTropica
  • Lilaeopsis Mauritius
  • Dwarf Saggitaria
  • Lilaeopsis Brazil

Fauna
  • 4 x German Blue Ram
  • 29 x Neon Tetra

As you can see I went with alot of different plants. Lets see how they turn out.

I set this tank up 4 weeks ago and added the fish. (And yes the tank was cycled before adding fish) Due to weather problems and just trying to figure out what I wanted, it took that long to get my plants. Anyways here is a picture of the tank before planting and even before adding the second filter with fish in. Sorry for the bad quality, it was a cell phone pic.

I will get more pictures up later today or tonight once the light is back on.

Last edited by Grimnokk; 02-09-2013 at 09:07 PM.. Reason: Changing Title to match rules
Grimnokk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2013, 09:21 PM   #2
Grimnokk
Algae Grower

Ok. As stated here are some updated pictures.

Rotala Rotundifolia

Valisneria Spiralis

Watersprite - Already not looking good. Lets see if it bounces back.

Rotala Macrandra and Narrow Leaf Java Fern

Purple Cabomba

Crypt Wendtii Tropica staring 2 German Rams

Narrow Leaf Ludwigia

Red Ozelt Sword, Red MElon Sword and Dwarf Lily

Crypt Lutea

Lilaeopsis Mauritius and Anubias Barteri

Dwarf Saggitaria

Lilaeopsis Brazil

Right Side Tank Shot

Middle Tank Shot

Left Side Tank Shot

And Finally the Full Tank shot. Only this doesn't look as good as others. Will have to work on this.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks,
Grimm
Old 02-13-2013, 12:51 AM   #3
Grimnokk
Algae Grower

Small update.

A couple leaves of Crypt Lutea have melted. I think this is to be expected as plants re-adjust to my water parameters.

Lost a couple leaves off of the Valisneria Spiralis. Again I think this is to be expected.

And the Crypt Wendtii Tropica is curling up slightly. Again not to worried at this point.

However, on a good note, one of my Purple Cabomba came lose from the substrate. So I stuck my hand back in there to replant it and was promptly attacked by one of the Rams. This startled my a little, but made me curious. So I started looking around. Low and behold what do I find? Eggs. Lots of eggs. It appears that the two rams that were "staring" in my Crypt Wendtii Tropica picture above have decided to breed. Not sure how this is going to turn out. But I guess I'll wait and see.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:56 AM   #4
Grimnokk
Algae Grower

Oh also forgot to mention. I have received all my parts for the controller that I was waiting on. So I have started working on the screen development at this point. I'll post pictures if anyone is interested.

Let me know.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:25 AM   #5
Dx3Bash
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

Should look really nice once everything takes off and fills in a little.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:28 AM   #6
Grimnokk
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dx3Bash View Post
Should look really nice once everything takes off and fills in a little.
Thanks. I hope it turns out ok.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:30 PM   #7
Grimnokk
Algae Grower

UPADATE:

Where to start.........

Some plants are doing better than others.

The Watersprite has taken off and really started taking hold. It is really starting to "bush" itself out. I need to figure out the best way to trim this and replant the trimmings. I really like the way that this one looks.

The Rotala Macrandra is not doing well and does not seem to be taking hold. Not sure what to do about this one. I think I just might pull it and replant Watersprite and Purple Cabomba to take its place.

The Purple Cabomba is doing really well and I really like the looks of this plant as well. Its starting to get white tips and looks really nice.

I moved the Narrow Leaf Java Fern in front of the driftwood I had it previously behind. It seems to like this tank position better. I also moved the dwarf lilly out front of the driftwood it was previously behind. It has really started to turn to a nice red color. I like this plant a lot as well.

I also think that I am going to pull the Lilaeopsis Mauritius as it is really messy and just doesn't seem to be taking hold. Plus I am not a big fan of how "whispy" looking this plant is. Not sure what I would put in its place. And suggestions would be good.

The Dwarf Sag is sprouting new plants up through the substrate. So thats a god thing.

On the fish side, I traded my 4 German Rams in to the LFS yesterday. They were just getting too aggressive for what I wanted from the tank. Two of them had paired up and tried to breed. This did not go well, which I wasn't surprised by. When I left for work one morning all the eggs I had found were there. When I came home they were all gone.

Anyways, I replaced the Rams with:
  • 13 x Peral Dannio
  • 6 x Agassiz Cory Cats
  • 5 x Oto's
  • 1 x Bamboo Shrimp

I wasn't sure about the coloring of the Pearl Dannios, however I love all the movement they bring to the tank. They are just such active and schooling fish. Very neat to watch. The Cory's are also a neat fish to watch. They school more than I expected. I was watching them yesterday play leap frog across the tank cleaning up the bottom.

In a couple weeks I would like to add some Blue Jelly Shrimp, some Red Cherry Shrimp, some Pumpkin Shrimp, and some Pink Rams Horn Snails (made the mistake of showing them to my wife and she wants them in there now).

The Controller that I am working on is still a work in progress. But I have all the major pieces of code worked out and am still working on cleaning up the screens and adding some finishing touches.

That's about all for now. I can get updated pictures if any care to see.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.