Newt Tank Build - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Herp (Reptiles and Amphibians)

Old 11-11-2012, 03:46 PM   #31
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (131/100%)

Sweet! As was already stated, you have quite an eye for naturalism.
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 06:52 PM   #32
Learner
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff View Post
Correct color or not - looks fantastic!! You've got quite an eye for realism. Yup, that is the down side of GS, all those air holes. I have found there seems to be less with the yellow version then the black version but still a PITA to cover

Looking forward to seeing updates!
Thanks so much. Man thats the only down side of GS. Its great for making countless hardscape features. We'll see how this goes with my next layer. PITA is right!
Learner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:54 PM   #33
Learner
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimagoma View Post
Oh! not true! as far as lush plants go! you could totally use creeping Jenny! if comes in two colors and LOVEs humidity, and will even grow right into the water. it creates lots of little close leaves with good lighting and Ive used it in my riparium. Looks awesome so far though! Gah! all these cool ripariums to nothing but make me want to get more tanks! hehehe

so cool!
Creeping Jenny is a great plant. Wish I could get a hold of some up here. I have tried ordering plants three times from folks on this site, but each time it has turned out to be a box of blackened mush. I guess thats the sacrifice for living amongst the bears and moose!
Old 11-11-2012, 07:04 PM   #34
Learner
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothing Shrimp View Post
Sweet! As was already stated, you have quite an eye for naturalism.
I am so glad to hear you think its natural looking. I was worried. I think it will look a lot nicer when I get some green splashed around in there.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:18 PM   #35
Learner
Planted Tank Obsessed

The drylok was dry enough for another test run at sealing this whole thing. I went with a more traditional brown for the tree roots and a lighter charcol for teh rock. A fine brush helped with the detail work but I am still having issues with the swiss cheese in the GS. The parts that are above the water will be easy to fix with moss and such, but the under water section will take some planning. I am wishing I would have just carved everything out of the styrofoam, its just a lot easier.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0344.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	56926  

Attached Images

Old 11-11-2012, 11:44 PM   #36
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

that looks awesome!! and done' worry about those little holes. once the plants grow in, you'll barely see them. are you planning on sealing this in any way? like spraying it with clear coat? which, btw i don't really like doing, but sometimes is a necessary evil.
Fishies_in_Philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:03 AM   #37
Learner
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishies_in_Philly View Post
that looks awesome!! and done' worry about those little holes. once the plants grow in, you'll barely see them. are you planning on sealing this in any way? like spraying it with clear coat? which, btw i don't really like doing, but sometimes is a necessary evil.
I have never sealed any of my BG. I have gone back and forth for years......looking into the west marine epoxy sealant and several others. I have read just so many others who have had no problems with the materials we all are using that I think I will let the drylok be the end game. What clear coat have you used in the past? The only time I have ever had an issue is in my salmon tank. The unidirectional current is just blasting thru that tank and has worn off a little bit of the drylok on the far side of the BG. My salmon eggs and soon to be aelvin dont seem to mind. I want a 125 like your so bad!
Old 11-13-2012, 03:52 AM   #38
Learner
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hopin you guys can help me out. I jsut got a shipment of plants for the tank and they were all a melted waste. Looks like I am stuck with the few things that out new petco can get and what is already in my tank.

Hygro cory will grow emmersed right? How humid does it need to be in order for that to take place?

I wasnt planning on running a drip system or a fogger, but could probably get one if necessary. I was hoping for a tight seal on my versa top and manual spray bottle a few times a week to add moisture in the air.

What are some very common plant options that a guy like me in the north woods could get a hold of? I am only going to have about 8.5 inches of water and 2.5 inches of substrate. Not the greatest I know (wish i was building a 90g).

I am also starting to think about ferts for this set up. I want lush plants and am wondering if I will be using my dry ferts or not. I have a T5 Odyssea fixture 2 bulb model with fair reflectors at best. Am I gonna have problems without CO2? I am not going to ever do a DIY yeast set up again so I guess its low tech all the way. I have no idea how to fertilize a low tech tank. I am getting a little ahead of myself but would love any advice you guys may have. What should I do here??
Old 11-13-2012, 12:12 PM   #39
slowfoot
Algae Grower

Here is what I'd recommend from Petco for a cooler-water set-up:

If they have those plants in tubes, there are a few good choices. All of the Anubias that I've gotten there have done really well for me. I grow them both fully submerged and with just the roots under water. They also have some nice java ferns that will probably die back but then sprout new leaves. The water wisteria has done really well, too, though you'll probably have to wait a bit for it to transition from emersed to submersed forms.

For terrestrial plants (that don't mind being really wet), you can try the Bolbitis heteroclita - also in tubes. It never worked well for me as an aquatic plant, but I have it growing in my swampy paludarium on land. Just make sure you separate the stems when you take it out of the package.

Honestly, the little plastic-baggie-packaged crypts have grown really well for me, too. You get a lot of tiny ones for a pretty good price.
slowfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:31 PM   #40
theshadybird
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

I've been wondering about those tiny crypts! Might have to put them on my own list now :}

This build is looking AWESOME! Seriously, the inventiveness of some of the terrariums absolutely blow me out of the water, so to speak ;]
Old 11-13-2012, 01:38 PM   #41
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

The only problem with the crypts is that they may not like the cooler water. Anubias will survive, and grow slowly, but they will work.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:49 PM   #42
Wy Renegade
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Fantastic! Looking forward to seeing this one come together as well. You've got some very inspiring builds going right now.
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:26 AM   #43
slowfoot
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishies_in_Philly View Post
The only problem with the crypts is that they may not like the cooler water. Anubias will survive, and grow slowly, but they will work.
I grow lots of crypts in my newt tanks They stay around 66F to 71F. The plants do fine.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:29 AM   #44
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

i would grow some of my crypts, like wendtii and petchii in cooler water, but i would be terrified to grow some of my rare ones in that cold of water. but then again, i am very over protective of my crypts....LOL
Old 11-21-2012, 12:33 AM   #45
slowfoot
Algae Grower

Agreed - don't put anything super rare or expensive in there. I have a bunch of different kinds - not sure what species - but nothing that cost more than $6 or so at my LFS.