8G Nano - Cluttered - Need advice on culling
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 11-06-2012, 02:56 PM   #1
RobMc
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
8G Nano - Cluttered - Need advice on culling

Hi PT people! I just got into this planted tank hobby and...it's so much fun that I ended up going a little overboard and have cluttered up my nano. As the plants grow I see that some of the placement looks a bit unnatural (specifically the anubias) and I've decided that I'd really rather have a cleaner, "zen" feel.

The tank is 22 days old in the following shots.

Q1: ID? The "betta bulb" to the right has grown quite tall. I'm sure it's doing a great job filtering the water, but the coloration difference is too great and I feel it murks up the midground. I'm thinking of replacing the onion/val w/e with a java fern to match the windelov in the center. Y/N?

The microsword has started to spread and the little path will not be sustainable...this much I've learned. That being said, I'm glad it's chosen to propagate despite the bit of die-off it is experiencing.

Q2: The anubias I had originally intended to be a mid-ground piece on the right side is losing its scale. The crypt is growing more than I thought it would, and with the background filling in there's seemingly no space for a plant with this leaf type/size. Also, I think this side of the tank should stay light green. Remove the anubias? Replace it with some transition plant? Just let the crypt grow into the wisteria?

Q3: Also, I have just majorly cut back the wisteria and replanted the tops rather densely on the left hand side. They do not receive much light due to the cover - will they grow? Or should wisteria be planted more sparsely?

Q4: I have just received an order of fissidens fontanus. I tied it to some flat stones and placed it in the back right corner to fill in the cave. Some pieces were also shoved in the crevice surrounding the windelov and the base of the driftwood. Good idea? Too cluttered? Have an opinion on where it should be (if at all)? I tried tucking some in around the top of the log by the filter but did not like the way it
looked.

And just a few more pics:

Thanks to all who contribute - I'm inspired by all the beautiful tanks I've seen around this forum and greatly value the insight you can offer.

Thanks again,
Rob

Last edited by RobMc; 11-06-2012 at 03:33 PM.. Reason: Fixed up photo coloration on image 1
RobMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 03:08 PM   #2
Merth
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)

Just a quick comment without studying your specific questions. The background keeps drawing my eyes. I think it's the yellow coloring in it. I think it detracts from the overall tank IMO.
Merth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:12 PM   #3
RobMc
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I agree with you on the yellow Merth - though I do like the texture it adds. I think the focal issue will be solved once the wisteria grows up nice and tall.

Here's a shot on 10/31 with a bit more growth in the back:

Thank you,
Rob

Last edited by RobMc; 11-06-2012 at 03:26 PM.. Reason: added image
RobMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:08 AM   #4
Jonnywhoop
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)

i personally dont see anything wrong with your tank at all. super kudos from me to you.
Jonnywhoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:52 PM   #5
Ebi
Aquatic RASTA Farmer

PTrader: (145/100%)

+1^ love that piece of wood on right back corner!

Maybe, place the drop checker opposite of the diffuser to get a more accurate reading(?).

Great job on the scape!

Mike
Old 11-09-2012, 07:47 PM   #6
Hidden Walrus
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I wouldn't change anything, personally. Looks really good.
Hidden Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:25 AM   #7
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Beautiful tank but that background is the cause of the clutter, not the plants. It is pushing forward to the eye. A calm tank would have some negative space but there is none with the background in there.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:33 AM   #8
xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

My first thought is I would move the aponogeton plants on the right side, and move them to the left side behind the wisteria plants. Then I would add in a few Anubias barteri Petite in place of the aponogeton plants original placement on the right side. This would help cover up some of the driftwood, and give a really nice appealing look to the tank.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:43 PM   #9
Fundulopanchax
Algae Grower

I also have a planted Fuvla Flora but the yellow on my background isnt as bright, and now that the tank's established, I wish the background wasnt there. But I don't think your tank is too cluttered, especially since it's lightly stocked. It looks good IMO and I'm also new to the hobby so I like to think of my Flora as a starting point, and I'll make more 'mature' tanks in the future.

- If youre concerned about certain plants spreading and taking over, you can seperate areas of the tank with carefully placed rocks and wood to act as barriers
Fundulopanchax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:12 PM   #10
supergreeneye
Algae Grower

i have the very same tank mines a little more cluttered but i was woundering what filter u have in there i just also upgraded the co2 and since then all the plants have exploded and the fish seem happier
supergreeneye is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
collectoritis, cryptocoryne wendtii, fluval flora, micro sword, nano