Tell me about FW refugiums - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 11-06-2012, 04:20 PM   #16
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)

Same thing only different.
55g, 20T, 10g daisy chained tanks. A refugium of common water column for added stability but separated by sponged siphons so the angels won't eat my shrimp and I can use the smaller tanks as fry grow outs or place a pair in the 20T. Shrimp tank 10g on the end now starting last year.

1 canister filter, 2 power heads, 3 tanks.
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)
wkndracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 09:46 PM   #17
dprais1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCichlid View Post
Sumps are noisy. You can do some things to mitigate it, but a sump with an overflow is going to be noisy. Your sensitivity will also come into a factor. Having used canisters for a year now and enjoying the easy, and noise free, operation I don't know if I could go back to large HOB's - let alone sumps.
+1
I have poret foam and K1 media in my sump along with a heater and some air stones. Last night my wife got fed up---
so no more air stones and no more functional k1. That cut the noise in half, but it is still clearly audible. I think a sump is great but where you place it is really important.
dprais1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:06 PM   #18
angelsword
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Someone gave me a complete sump and overflow box so I tried it for a while on my 75 gallon. It was so noisy. I was constantly trying to tweak it to make it quieter. I lost tetras to the overflow until I put net over that, then plant leaves would block the flow. It was nice that it held all the equipment, but not worth the hassle.

I was glad to go back to a silent canister.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:43 PM   #19
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)

Bwahahaha! OP asks about refugiums on a freshwater tank and it turns sump bashing on three replies???

Two sump systems currently running here and both are silent draining without going to a Herbie rig.
Durso stand pipes on the 110g in the kitchen and a modified Eshopps box on the 7 tank stand and both you have to try to hear them LOL.
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)
wkndracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:55 PM   #20
dprais1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkndracer View Post
Bwahahaha! OP asks about refugiums on a freshwater tank and it turns sump bashing on three replies???

Two sump systems currently running here and both are silent draining without going to a Herbie rig.
Durso stand pipes on the 110g in the kitchen and a modified Eshopps box on the 7 tank stand and both you have to try to hear them LOL.
maybe the wrong thread for this but...how did you get yours so silent?
Old 11-06-2012, 11:40 PM   #21
manik
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sd760 View Post
I would love to do a refugium sump with shrimp and plants for my 55 or 29 but what about the noise? I'm extremely concerned with that. As I have canisters and enjoy the silence but would love to have a living planted refugium

I've made a sump for my 40b. (check my journal). I have one for my 20L saltwater, and now for my 40B planted. I've had to work on the noise a little bit, but I've pretty much dialed in why it make noise. Now, the only sound is like that of a small fountain trickle. There's no more dumping anymore, no toilet noise or anything. I love it... keep the equipment out of the display, cause... it's a display.

I am having trouble getting my drop checker to register any changes from CO2... I'm up to 4 bps right now, I'll see if it's done anything tonight. This could be from all the off gassing that happens from the overflow to the sump. That is one concern with a sump

(p.s. if any of you refugium peeps or sump peeps have any tips on that I'd love them)

But for the OP, refugiums for a planted tank... not super necessary, if you're planted well enough, could be a good spot for fry and such though. Sumps are great, IMO. Canisters are great, and a canister with a sump is better (but more work for the DIY kina person)

40B Journal
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...54#post2050954
manik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:07 AM   #22
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Refugium's as used in a reef setup are all about nutrient export. Think the opposite of a planted tank, we want nutrients for our plants, reef keepers aim for 0 TDS, phosphates and nutrients. SPS ULNS systems even more so. So what is the best why to nutrient export in a reef? using macroalgae (most often an algae called chaetomorpha). Vascular plants are poorly represented in saltwater environments. (in fact I can't think of any unless you use a mangrove or something). they also are good for growing microfauna for the corals as supplemental food source like copepods. great if you plan on keeping a mandarin fish (larger systems)

The general idea for reef filtration is cured live rock (1lb per gallon) + sump + refugium (optional mud, more Liverock) + super skimmer.

I most often come across refugiums for freshwater in tanks that house large aggressive predatory fish like oscars, arowana, puffers etc, fish that destroy plants and such that have high bioloads. This is where (in freshwater) refugiums come in handy. they allow for the plants to purify water w/o getting destroyed by the fish in the tank.

pretty cool in use.
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:24 AM   #23
thefisherman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by manik View Post
I've made a sump for my 40b. (check my journal). I have one for my 20L saltwater, and now for my 40B planted. I've had to work on the noise a little bit, but I've pretty much dialed in why it make noise. Now, the only sound is like that of a small fountain trickle. There's no more dumping anymore, no toilet noise or anything. I love it... keep the equipment out of the display, cause... it's a display.

I am having trouble getting my drop checker to register any changes from CO2... I'm up to 4 bps right now, I'll see if it's done anything tonight. This could be from all the off gassing that happens from the overflow to the sump. That is one concern with a sump

(p.s. if any of you refugium peeps or sump peeps have any tips on that I'd love them)

But for the OP, refugiums for a planted tank... not super necessary, if you're planted well enough, could be a good spot for fry and such though. Sumps are great, IMO. Canisters are great, and a canister with a sump is better (but more work for the DIY kina person)
i saw plantbrain use the old duct tape plastic cover trick atop his sump to minimize offgassimg co2...he swears by maintaining 30ppm or greater in his systems

- thefisherman

The Fisherman's Workbench
thefisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:34 AM   #24
manik
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefisherman View Post
i saw plantbrain use the old duct tape plastic cover trick atop his sump to minimize offgassimg co2...he swears by maintaining 30ppm or greater in his systems

- thefisherman
I got a piece of acrylic, cut it to size and added rubber grommets to any hosing or wires. I even put weather stripping on it, and used packaging tape for any seams. The lights will be off in 2 hours, and the DC is still uber blue. I'll have to try duct tape, and reconfigure my plans. The overflow may be the biggest issue.

40B Journal
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...54#post2050954
manik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:08 AM   #25
thefisherman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I got a piece of acrylic, cut it to size and added rubber grommets to any hosing or wires. I even put weather stripping on it, and used packaging tape for any seams. The lights will be off in 2 hours, and the DC is still uber blue. I'll have to try duct tape, and reconfigure my plans. The overflow may be the biggest issue.
try CPR aquatic's overflow/weir. it looks less "splashy" (if that's even a term lol) and smoother operating. also try diffusing your co2 directly into the sump chamber so the sump itself turns into like a reactor. i'll see if i can dig up a puc of plantbrain's setup... its def one of the old PT threads

- thefisherman

Old 11-07-2012, 10:13 AM   #26
thefisherman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

found it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillLearning<br />
Tom what kinda overflow box is that? Also what kinda sump do you use on the tank that you can seal it up to prevent co2 loss? Really nice tank as always!
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
Duct tape, that's how to stop CO2 loss froma wet/dry, look at the filter, you'll see it on the top lip. Now that section is just a giant CO2 reactor.

- thefisherman

Old 11-09-2012, 01:36 PM   #27
dprais1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Talking

Quote:

Just modified my sump slightly based off your journal. Thanks!

Sumps can be pretty much noise-free, mine now sounds as though someone left the kitchen faucet on just a dribble,. my wife will be so happy when she gets home!!
Old 11-09-2012, 04:21 PM   #28
Congee
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Hi. I have a question for sump owners. I am considering a sump tank with a refugium for my 30 gallon with a 20 gallon. I do not think I will have much bioload on the tank.

I want to do less water changes as possible with EI Dosing and I wanted to know if it would be possible with a sump tank and refugium.
Congee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:08 PM   #29
dbl_dbl17
Algae Grower

Angry

I've kept many SW refugiums, but the idea of a FW refugium does not seem logical to me. In SW, all of the plant nutrients are comparably useless so having them used up makes sense. In a FW tank, those nutrients are important for healthy plants. Maybe I'm oversimplifying things, not sure.
dbl_dbl17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:14 PM   #30
kiera
Algae Grower

A poster earlier in this thread pointed out that freshwater refugiums are useful for taking up nitrates using plants you might not wish to be in your display tank--duckweed, wisteria, and other water weeds.