Tell me about FW refugiums
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 11-06-2012, 02:23 AM   #1
kiera
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Tell me about FW refugiums

I've been reading a bit about saltwater refugiums lately and I am curious as to whether anyone uses these in their FW tanks. I'm not sure I completely understand how they work in the saltwater universe, but I'm interested in the possible benefits of using a refugium in a FW tank.

For instance, since the refugium and the tank share a water column (right?), would it be possible to shove floating nitrate suckers/algae preventers like duckweed and watersprite into the refugium, keeping the main tank free of plants that you may find unattractive or incompatible with the aquascape you have in mind?

Old 11-06-2012, 02:31 AM   #2
AVN
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Exactly.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:05 AM   #3
kiera
Algae Grower

Does it also mean that you could move some of the bulky tank gadgets to the refugium? The heater? The HOB, maybe leaving a small airstone in the main tank for airflow?
Old 11-06-2012, 03:54 AM   #4
Exie
Planted Member

Send a message via MSN to Exie Send a message via Skype™ to Exie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiera View Post
Does it also mean that you could move some of the bulky tank gadgets to the refugium? The heater? The HOB, maybe leaving a small airstone in the main tank for airflow?
Maybe in the sump's return area, I would be hesitant to put a heater in the refugium. My fuge has a bunch of moss, snails, and duckweed.
Exie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:00 AM   #5
kiera
Algae Grower

Very interesting, thanks.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:13 AM   #6
mach_six
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
A refugium would be a section of the sump typically, your return pump would be the circulation in the main tank. Airstones would't be necessary.

I don't think you'll benefit much especially with the added cost of adding an overflow, another tank, return pump, lights for the sump, etc. It's not worth it if your DT tank isn't that big.

In a planted tank, I would think your DT would have enough plants for the nutrient control where that is not necessary.

In a s/w tank, most people don't want the macro algae growing in their DT so they dedicate a section for them and for frags or pods, other section woudl be for equipment.
mach_six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:00 AM   #7
kiera
Algae Grower

Oh I'm definitely not running out to make a refugium for my nano next week or anything. I just find the idea very interesting--something to keep in the back of my brain in case I ever do a larger setup.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:01 AM   #8
AVN
Wannabe Guru

I have freshwater refugiums for large tanks. Mainly keep nitrate hogging plants like ricca and water lettuce in them.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:03 AM   #9
kiera
Algae Grower

Do you have any pictures, AVN?
Old 11-06-2012, 11:42 AM   #10
Exie
Planted Member

Send a message via MSN to Exie Send a message via Skype™ to Exie

Quote:
Oh I'm definitely not running out to make a refugium for my nano next week or anything.
I've seen a 10 gallon sump on a 5 gallon nano. Kinda funny but had some practical use. The innards of the tank were literally just two small glass tubes. co2, filtration, etc were all under the stand. And the total system was 15 gallons, so it was probably a lot more stable.
Exie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:31 PM   #11
dprais1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

i have a sump for my 75gal tank. i use it to filter my water and put my heater as well.
the best part is that it is also my tank that i keep shrimp in
dprais1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:18 PM   #12
TexasCichlid
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)

For a 6.6 gallon tank, an easy FW refugium is the same as the SW refugium equivalent - more or less. Buy an AC70, file down the plastic tab that limits flow adjustment so you can completely turn down the flow if you want. Stick your media in there along with a Hydor mini 25w or 50w heater. Now you have all the filtration you need with a hidden heater. If you want some added nutrient removal you can put vivarium plants in the HOB. Quite a few guys on the forum with planted HOB's.
TexasCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:42 PM   #13
Sd760
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/50%)

I would love to do a refugium sump with shrimp and plants for my 55 or 29 but what about the noise? I'm extremely concerned with that. As I have canisters and enjoy the silence but would love to have a living planted refugium
Sd760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:44 PM   #14
TexasCichlid
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)

Sumps are noisy. You can do some things to mitigate it, but a sump with an overflow is going to be noisy. Your sensitivity will also come into a factor. Having used canisters for a year now and enjoying the easy, and noise free, operation I don't know if I could go back to large HOB's - let alone sumps.
TexasCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:08 PM   #15
AVN
Wannabe Guru

Too lazy to take a picture, upload it, and then attach it to this site.

Here's a picture from another member, DenverTankCollector, of the Ricca that took over his HOB, my FW refugium looks EXACTLY like this, minus the HOB.