Canister filters for small tanks -- looking for advice. - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 11-08-2012, 06:07 AM   #31
TheKribKeeper
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I just bought my first eheim a 2213 for my 29 gallon with an up aqua inline atomizer. To me the flow is good but I also have an aquaclear 20 powerhead with a quick filter for a little extra flow on the other side of the tank.

I was reading that the eheim classics were not designed to suck up the detritus in the water column. It is supposed to fall to the bottom and once it starts to break down and is dissolved into the water column is where the classics shine. Thus people complaining about the low flow but that was their purpose so they don't clog as fast and biologicaly filter more efficiently. I like the 2213 and I am buying 2 2217's for my 40brdr next month. And it is super quiet.
TheKribKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 01:59 AM   #32
Aquasapien69
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

FYI, for those asking previously.....I just opened my Brown Santa gift from Ken's Fish and the 2213 (aka Classic 250) comes complete with two sets of the "double tap" valves and is full of EHEIM MECH (hollow ceramic rings), SUBSTRATpro (sphere-shaped sintered glass) and a Coarse filter pad. I think that's a pretty good deal for $75.....and AC20s are $20.55!!!

Just Sayin'!
Aquasapien69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:25 PM   #33
daworldisblack
Planted Member

Sweeet thanks for the info!
daworldisblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:23 AM   #34
rah-bop
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Thanks for all your help, everyone! I learned a lot from this thread! I ultimately did get the Eheim 2213 and got it all set up yesterday. The hard plastic piping is a little on the large side for my small tank but it all fits in there okay. The filter is just as silent as everyone said it would be, which is perfect. The flow is really good, even with a sponge over the filter intake. It's not, like, power washer jet spray or anything, which I was afraid of. It would be just right if I had fish, and the larger shrimp do fine with it, but I had to turn it down to about 1/3 the flow so the little tiny babies could still swim. (They are so tiny. So tiny!)

I think I still need to fiddle with it more to get the best balance of flow and filtration, but I am happy so far.

Thanks again for your advice, everyone!
rah-bop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:45 PM   #35
cichnatic
Planted Member

Yes they are silent and well worth the money in the long run. Excellent filters they are.
EHEIM #525
cichnatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:40 PM   #36
deleted_user_17
Planted Member

In the Planted Tank faq section you can find a great guide to maintaining these classic filters. Which reminds me, it's been a few months... Time to clean mine.

Glad you're up and running with it
Old 12-31-2012, 02:41 AM   #37
laqu
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

how far down can i adjust a ehiem?

i have a finnex p 360 the flow is high but it doesn't hold a lot of media and that 2 foot drop restriction is a pain in the
laqu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
10gal, canister filter, shrimp