Lemon Tetras; Love 'em or dislike 'em? - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 11-08-2012, 11:31 AM   #31
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basilisk View Post
Hi,

I wouldn't tag them aggressive. There's some intraspecific aggression in the Lemon Tetra, just their protocolary arguments to decide the pecking order. I would say, from experience only, that this aggression is noticeably more than in neons and other tetras with weak character, but not even close to serpaes. It seems to me that in larger groups (15+) they are busier among themselves trying to settle their sixes and sevens and ignore most other fish.

I think you should get them.
Oh well that's no problem at all. I think I'd get 20-30 then just to be sure they have plenty to do among eachother gnoring the Angels and Betta Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaquatic View Post
CITES protected. They are considered good luck to own so they were over harvested in the wild to the point that they were endangered. Even though they are readily bred in farms we cannot have them here. Canada can though.
Hmmm. That's neat. Another new fact about these beauties. Thank you for sharing!
Amandas tank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 04:05 PM   #32
daz4321
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandas tank View Post
Whoa! That is extremely important! My family loves shrimp and in a year we were going to get some! Okay!!!! Too bad, because I really thought these were the fish for our tank. I love what I have read and seen so far up until the shrimpies.

Before I make a final descision, was your tank heavily planted so the shrimp had places to hang out/hide? Just curious if the Lemons were lurking through the plants hunting them.
yes heavy planted and plenty of bogwood, loads of hidey holes. in fact so many that i lost a full grown ancistrus for two weeks in there(thats with me checking multiple times a day for it and the tank being veiwable from 3 sides)
daz4321 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 05:59 PM   #33
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by daz4321 View Post
yes heavy planted and plenty of bogwood, loads of hidey holes. in fact so many that i lost a full grown ancistrus for two weeks in there(thats with me checking multiple times a day for it and the tank being veiwable from 3 sides)
Wow. Do you know if yours were tank bred or Wild caught? I don't know but maybe if they are wild caught or F1's or F2's they'd have more of a drive to hunt their own prey?
Old 11-11-2012, 04:56 AM   #34
02redz28
Algae Grower

I've had Lemons numerous times in my community tanks over the years. They are great fish that add a splash of color with that bright red eye and gold body. I'm big into eye color these days and I've got 5 colors in my tank at the moment from blue to green and red. I also agree with the comments about their schooling. They are just like pristillas in that they are loose schoolers often hanging out with other critters of smilar disposition.
02redz28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 05:29 AM   #35
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Okay thank you I am not familiar with how Pristella school...but I have had Serpae Tetras, White Skirt and Black Skirt Tetras as well as Glowlights and Rummynose. Can you tell me which of the above species compare to the schooling behavior of Lemon Tetras?
Old 11-11-2012, 05:43 AM   #36
Big O
Raider for life

PTrader: (35/100%)
Default i have one

First of all, your HOT!

He or she killed the other two I had. And now he's the only one in my 29 community planted. I love tho.
Cheers,
big o
Big O is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 06:06 AM   #37
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big O View Post
First of all, your HOT!

He or she killed the other two I had. And now he's the only one in my 29 community planted. I love tho.
Cheers,
big o
Oh My G.. HaHA. Thanks....Awe too bad there's only 1 left.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:01 PM   #38
02redz28
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandas tank View Post
Okay thank you I am not familiar with how Pristella school...but I have had Serpae Tetras, White Skirt and Black Skirt Tetras as well as Glowlights and Rummynose. Can you tell me which of the above species compare to the schooling behavior of Lemon Tetras?
Not as aggressive as black skirts or serpae tetras. Not as tight schooling as rummy nose. Sorta like glowlights in that they will drift around the tank but keep their buddies in eye sight.
02redz28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 04:28 PM   #39
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02redz28 View Post
Not as aggressive as black skirts or serpae tetras. Not as tight schooling as rummy nose. Sorta like glowlights in that they will drift around the tank but keep their buddies in eye sight.
Oh okay! Thank you Now I totally have the picture of what they'd look like in my tank.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:51 PM   #40
Algae Beater
Planted Tank Obsessed

IMO a decent group of lemon tetras in a blackwater tank is one of the prettiest examples of tetras i can think of
Algae Beater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 05:58 PM   #41
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algae Beater View Post
IMO a decent group of lemon tetras in a blackwater tank is one of the prettiest examples of tetras i can think of
They do look great in blackwater. I just watched a couple vids of them in this biotope setup.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:39 AM   #42
Basilisk
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02redz28 View Post
Kind of, yes. But to me, the Lemon is in a higher tier of boldness/confidence. The glowlight is a little more wary, but not in the wuss tier with neons who usually choose to hide among the plants.

I'd say they resemble the drifty behaviour of glowlights, but with the boldness of black neons (which school differently).

Just talking about them makes me want to have them again.

There's something about the Lemon. People who have enjoyed keeping them will agree.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:09 AM   #43
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basilisk View Post

There's something about the Lemon. People who have enjoyed keeping them will agree.
There really must be because you are far from the first person who has said this!
Old 11-12-2012, 01:49 PM   #44
NeonRob
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Hey Amanda,

Here is my planted 75 w/ 100+ Lemon Tetras in it. Hopefully, this will answer your question about schooling behavior.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU7NeHYgFA0&feature=plcp

I love 'em! My passion for the hobby is breeding Tetras. This tank could have been filled w/ all Neon or Cardinals that I have breed, but right now I have chosen to put my Lemons on display, because they are:

1) Very beautiful. The more mature they get, the more the body yellows up. The striped finnage is striking as well.
2) Very friendly. They don't pick on themselves or other fish. They don't even eat the runts of the litter like Buenos Aires & Head & Tail Lights do.
3) Social behavior. While they might not be the tightest schooling Tetra, they do school tightly when they need to (scared) and are stunning to see as a group especially in a planted tank.

IMO, you just can't go wrong with this species.

Best of luck,
Rob
NeonRob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 05:15 PM   #45
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)

That's a cool video - and in your case, the Lemons seem to prefer the upper levels of the tank. I find it's hard to get fish that like the upper levels - this could really help fill out a tank.
The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...stand-pic.html
The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=199772
driftwoodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
community fish, lemon tetra, schooling fish, schooling tetras

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.