Lemon Tetras; Love 'em or dislike 'em? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 11-07-2012, 06:38 AM   #16
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaquatic View Post
the silver, black, jardini, leichardti, and african (not a true aro) are legal tho.
Not as striking IMO but at least we can have something hu? Do you know why the Asian Arowana is illegal? I could go look it up myself, but in case you already know, I don't have to
Amandas tank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2012, 03:40 PM   #17
PamAndJim
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

FWIW I love Lemon Tetras. I used to have 27 in my 55g. Sadly I lost them all in one day due to a stupid mistake on my part. Shortly after that I got some Rummies (which I love) and some Black Phantoms. I really wanted to like the Black Phantoms, but find myself regretting not getting more Lemons. I am now in the process of setting up a new 125 gallon tank. When it's time to move the fish over the BFs are going back to the lfs and I am getting more Lemons. As far as the color goes, I had mine for about a year and they had some excellent color, far different than when you see them in a store.
PamAndJim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 04:17 PM   #18
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)

I went to my lfs this morning to see how their stock looked - they had one lemon tetra and it was quite pretty - the fins had bright, solid, and distinct color and the body was a translucent lemon drop color. They also carry Gold tetras all the time, and even though everything I read say fry won't get the gold sheen (it is apparently due to a reaction to parasites in the waters of wild caught fish) they are still spectacular! They schooled as tightly as rummys and looked like they were dipped in liquid plate colored like platinum/gold. Staying under 2" is adult size, I'm going to QT a bunch for a 29g. I pulled some pics off the internet, these may be a fair substitution for lemons?

The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...stand-pic.html
The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=199772
driftwoodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 05:45 PM   #19
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodhunter View Post
They schooled as tightly as rummys and looked like they were dipped in liquid plate colored like platinum/gold. Staying under 2" is adult size, I'm going to QT a bunch for a 29g. I pulled some pics off the internet, these may be a fair substitution for lemons?

Hmmm...interesting. It's not too often fish keepers actually want "Infected wild caught fish" but with this fish, sounds like that's the way to go if you want a trully golden fish! Platinum gold (silver) is quite nice too. Schooling as good as Rummy Nose is a plus! You'll have to LMK what you think of them after they've settled in your tank DriftwoodHunter. I am still on the track of Lemon Tetras. Maybe it's the name...Afterall. I do loooooove lemons

I am going to give them a try. Perhaps 15+. Nice thing with our LFS is if the fish don't turn out to be just what ya were looking for, you can exchange them for something else.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:48 PM   #20
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamAndJim View Post
FWIW I love Lemon Tetras. I used to have 27 in my 55g. Sadly I lost them all in one day due to a stupid mistake on my part. Shortly after that I got some Rummies (which I love) and some Black Phantoms. I really wanted to like the Black Phantoms, but find myself regretting not getting more Lemons. I am now in the process of setting up a new 125 gallon tank. When it's time to move the fish over the BFs are going back to the lfs and I am getting more Lemons. As far as the color goes, I had mine for about a year and they had some excellent color, far different than when you see them in a store.
Ahhh that's too bad you lost them all. What happened (if you don't mind me asking...if you do, don't answer)? The Black Phantoms don't really school do they? They are a shoalng species instead I believe and they are pretty, but lemon'y yellow is nearly unbeatable isn't it
Old 11-07-2012, 05:54 PM   #21
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

I am going to give them a try. Perhaps 15+. Nice thing with our LFS is if the fish don't turn out to be just what ya were looking for, you can exchange them for something else.

That's one thing my lfs won't do. They have a three day warranty on fish, and NO warranty at all on special order fish.

I need to do more reading as I was just skipping though earlier, but I think the parasite is found in the water, the fish creates some kind of protective barrier which in turn creates the sheen & color. Tank raised fry don't get the sheen/gold color because the parasite isn't present - it's in the water, not the fish itself. I've also read that wild caught fish can loose the sheen and gold color, leaving a bright silver look after a few years due to the absence of the parasitic water. I may have that all screwed up though - lol.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:07 PM   #22
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:

That's one thing my lfs won't do. They have a three day warranty on fish, and NO warranty at all on special order fish.

I need to do more reading as I was just skipping though earlier, but I think the parasite is found in the water, the fish creates some kind of protective barrier which in turn creates the sheen & color. Tank raised fry don't get the sheen/gold color because the parasite isn't present - it's in the water, not the fish itself. I've also read that wild caught fish can loose the sheen and gold color, leaving a bright silver look after a few years due to the absence of the parasitic water. I may have that all screwed up though - lol.
Nope! I think you've got it right! I read the same thing. I immediately looked them up after you mentioned them. (I love looking up fish ) Too bad about your LFS. Gosh...first they try to cheap you out on your Columbians then they won't give more leg-room for exchanges. I realize more and more all the time just how awesome our LFS guys are. Things are quite spendy, but it's a good trade off to have an ever-lasting revolving door policy with fish. I've had my Denison Barbs for months and months! Maybe a year???? And they are going to take them back this week.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:13 PM   #23
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

I've noticed my lfs doesn't QT anything - when the shipments come in, they acclimate them directly into the sales tanks. They will take fish back, but it's a different set up. They consider it to be like buying my Columbians. If they have a need for them, if they look pristine, they will consider giving you a small store credit - 25 or 50 cents a fish. Certainly not a revolving door policy on purchases. I don't know, But I'd bet your lfs is rather unique on that!
Old 11-07-2012, 07:13 PM   #24
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I don't know, But I'd bet your lfs is rather unique on that!
I'm thinking so too. The owners are a wonderful couple and are so understanding and helpful. They even let you exchange dog coats when the puppy outgrows them! We have a Petco too. They opened just under a year ago. Other than products the LFS doesn't carry I won't shop there for anything else(especially fish). I won't simply because of good measure. Their prices are cheaper on a lot of items, but the LFS has always been so kind and considerate I actually felt like I was "cheating" on them when I browsed Petco the first few times HaHa!
Old 11-07-2012, 07:45 PM   #25
PamAndJim
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandas tank View Post
Ahhh that's too bad you lost them all. What happened (if you don't mind me asking...if you do, don't answer)? The Black Phantoms don't really school do they? They are a shoalng species instead I believe and they are pretty, but lemon'y yellow is nearly unbeatable isn't it
It happened during the summer of 2011 aka the hottest summer in Dallas Fort Worth history. I did a water change and didn't pay attention to the temp of the water going back into the tank and it got too hot. I have no idea how hot it actually got, but when I got home from work the next day (the first time I was able to look at the tank since the wc) The temp was still 97 degrees and all 27 of my Lemons were dead. Ever since then I always have a bag of ice at the ready and make sure check the temp of the water coming from the tap several times.
PamAndJim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 12:03 AM   #26
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

@PamAndJim "Oh man that must have been terrible! Sorry to hear that. Good you are prepared if something like this shall ever arise again."

So fish came in my LFS today. Checked out the Lemons. Right now they are so stressed and colorless I hardly recognized them! I thought they were Pristellas! They are super tiny juveniles.

One thing he said that caught me by suprise was that they are agressive. What???? Anyone experience this? I have known him for years and he is honest and knowledgable about fish temperments. Great guy! Perhaps he's talking if there is only 6 or less? I couldn't ask him to elaborate because I was in a hurry. If I got some I wouldn't get less than 15, 30 being most.

Last edited by Amandas tank; 11-08-2012 at 11:27 AM.. Reason: needed to add something
Old 11-08-2012, 12:11 AM   #27
daz4321
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I had a shoal of 20 lemons in a 5ftx2ftx2ft tank and they decimated my cherry shrimp population over time, they would all gang up on one shrimp and pull it to pieces and then onto the next, so they had to go.
daz4321 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 12:29 AM   #28
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by daz4321 View Post
I had a shoal of 20 lemons in a 5ftx2ftx2ft tank and they decimated my cherry shrimp population over time, they would all gang up on one shrimp and pull it to pieces and then onto the next, so they had to go.
Whoa! That is extremely important! My family loves shrimp and in a year we were going to get some! Okay!!!! Too bad, because I really thought these were the fish for our tank. I love what I have read and seen so far up until the shrimpies.

Before I make a final descision, was your tank heavily planted so the shrimp had places to hang out/hide? Just curious if the Lemons were lurking through the plants hunting them.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:59 AM   #29
Basilisk
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
So fish came in my LFS today. Checked out the Lemons. Right now they are so stressed and colorless I hardly recognized them! I thought they were Pristellas! They are super tiny juveniles.

One thing he said that caught me by suprise was that they are agressive. What???? Anyone experience this? I have known him for years and he is honest and knowledgable about fish temperments. Great guy! Perhaps he's talking if there is only 6 or less? I couldn't ask him to elaborate because I was in a hurry. If I got some I wouldn't get less than 15, 30 being most.
Hi,

I wouldn't tag them aggressive. There's some intraspecific aggression in the Lemon Tetra, just their protocolary arguments to decide the pecking order. I would say, from experience only, that this aggression is noticeably more than in neons and other tetras with weak character, but not even close to serpaes. It seems to me that in larger groups (15+) they are busier among themselves trying to settle their sixes and sevens and ignore most other fish.

I think you should get them.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:49 AM   #30
mcaquatic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Not as striking IMO but at least we can have something hu? Do you know why the Asian Arowana is illegal? I could go look it up myself, but in case you already know, I don't have to

CITES protected. They are considered good luck to own so they were over harvested in the wild to the point that they were endangered. Even though they are readily bred in farms we cannot have them here. Canada can though.
mcaquatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
community fish, lemon tetra, schooling fish, schooling tetras

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.