The brown tank.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 11-04-2012, 10:42 PM   #1
Soil
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

The brown tank.

Hi!

Introducing my smaller tank and my go at some aquascaping. I'm quite a fan of the colour brown, and tanks that looks nice but not fancy, so this is what happend:

It has 5 platys and a applesnail in it atm, one Java fern and and the plant on the top is a Chlorophytum comosum. I think I want more plants to the left, and a few small ones in the right corner..?

The stones are "Dragon stones" and the wood is a redmoor root. The tank itself is a 30L (8g) but is in horrible shape with scratches and old tapemarkes. The black edges are a temporary layer of black tape I put on to cover the old silicone.

Hope you like it! Feel free to critique as I don't have much experience in this sort of scape.

Soil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2012, 10:43 PM   #2
AVN
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Pretty sweet, might I inquire where you obtained said "Dragon Stones?"

I think you have a very well designed hard scape here, the driftwood and dragon stones in the center catch my eye, but otherwise it's pretty lacking. (Of course cause you haven't planted yet)

I would plant taller plants like jungle vals or spiral crypts in the background and mosses like weeping or willow on the stone on the left and on the right side of the wood, I wouldn't cover up the larger stone or the center of the wood with plants.

Personally I think this scape looks great without carpeting plants, but if you wanted to I'd do Micro Swords, Belem Grass, or Glosso.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:48 PM   #3
JerSaint
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

This looks like a GREAT start. I really like the stones with the drift. I can't wait to see it planted. I agree that some of the drift and rock shouldn't be covered with moss but a bit would look sweet! Keep it up!
JerSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:00 PM   #4
Soil
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Thanks, Im glad you like it so far!

As for the stones - yes, you may. I bought them from a swedish zoo dealer called Djurmagazinet, and they get their aquariumstuff from a gross dealer called Akvarieteknik (akvarieteknik.se). The stones are also called Honeycomb rock.

I think moss sounds interesting, i've always liked it but the only moss I've seen here is Java, which I for some reason never get to grow well.. might be the water here. I like doing things low tech, any thought on how to get it to spread like a carpet? I think it would make for a nice jungle look .

As for tall plants, I have some coming up soon
Soil is offline   Reply With Quote