"Nirvana" my 55Gal
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 04-10-2013, 02:28 AM   #1
DeepXero
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

"Nirvana" my 55Gal

Day 1...Kinda

Me and my girlfriend have been searching, thinking, researching, shopping and planning for our planted tank. At first we didn't know what to do, "just throw some plants in there, with some light and they'll grow," they said. Well they LIED, it's wayyyy more complexed than that... sheesh.

So I had the tank for about 6yrs now (empty) and nothing motivated me to do anything. I even thought about selling it at one point, good thing i didn't. Once I met my girlfriend i wanted/needed a way to incorporate her into my life, to show her she is an extension of me. Soo what better way than do a Co-op fish tank? That idea went to flames once she wanted to add these god awful gaudy plastic ornaments...NO! Then the idea of a planted tank hit her, which led us to researching and finding this holy grail of a forum.

As a grad student I let her do all the studying and researching and I, well lets just say I am the bank. Love her though. We juggled everything from lighting, to plants, different aquascapes, and even the substrates. Now here comes my involvement... Don't laugh.

So i figured screw it lets get this done. Bought 2 bags of flourite and also some black sand. Thought to myself "hey lets not rinse these and just throw them in the tank and fill it." Being the light bulb that she is, my girlfriend tells me its best to rinse them....WHAT!!!! I just put all this in there I refused to take it out. Long story short, the tank found its way in the tub, angled up and water running. Flourite and sand mixed into this thick slop, then drained again because of the mud color not settling AT ALL. I leave and come back home and find my lovely lady on the couch with tank between her legs, hair up scooping all my hard work out. I guess it was inevitable *shrugs shoulders*...
DeepXero is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement