New 20H - betta, cories, swordtails?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 11-04-2012, 05:12 AM   #1
Hidden Walrus
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

New 20H - betta, cories, swordtails?

Today I picked up a brand new, apparently unused twenty gallon high aquarium, with a Whisper 10 - 15 gallon capacity HOB filter, for ten dollars at a flea market. The tank passed the leak test, and the filter runs fine too - which also doesn't even look like it was ever used.

I found the perfect spot for the tank right under a shaded window, and would like to make it into a low tech riparium, with just a few peace lilies and a syngonium or something similar that will do well in indirect East lighting growing out the top and no true aquatics (tank will be lit only but sunlight and with the background too dark underwater for any real plants I think, maybe java fern or anubias would do alright.) The window doesn't get any direct sun except a sliver in the morning in summer so it shouldn't get too hot. It's also a few feet away from a shop light to the left of the tank but probably not close enough to make a huge difference in lighting for plants.

Obviously I'll have to pick up a heater before I introduce anything, and then there's the cycling process, but eventually my planned stocking (although not planning to start for a while) would be a male betta and 6+ pygmy cories for sure, but I'm not sure what else I could keep with them, if anything. I like swordtails, would really like some for the tank and have kept them before but I don't know whether a twenty high is big enough for a trio in addition to the other fishes. If not swordtails what else would anyone suggest? I'm not a big fan of tetras but then again I've not kept any but black skirts (boring) and neons (which never lived very long for me).
I also was wondering if the 10 - 15 capacity filter would be adequate for the twenty gallon, maybe if it were not fully stocked?

And, if I were to start off slowly, with just the betta in the new tank for example, would just rubbing the cycled filter media in my other 5 gallon betta tank on the new uncycled cartridge, making sure to get some crud on it, and tossing in a few handfuls of the gravel instantly cycle the new tank enough for the one fish? And then gradually I could add the other fish over a few weeks? Or will I have to go about a brand new cycle (I hope not)?

Thank you everyone in advance.
Hidden Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2012, 01:37 PM   #2
librarygirl
Planted Member

PTrader: (19/100%)

It's mostly going to depend on the betta's personality; typically they don't tolerate tank mates and I'd be concerned that the longer fins of swordtails would be very temping for a betta. It could be worse if the betta is introduced first as he'll see the tank as his territory and anything else that comes in afterwards could be seen as a threat.

I'd upgrade filters definitely; an AquaClear 50 should do nicely.

Not sure if just rubbing cycled media in the new filter would cycle it or not; you might do better with a piece of filter pad. Even so it wouldn't be able to hold much, a single betta might be ok, but as you introduce fish the ammonia is likely going to spike. The live plants could help a lot there though but I'd still test and do water changes as needed. Or you could do a fishless cycle with ammonia; that way you can introduce all of the fish at once when the cycle is done and not have to worry about cycling with fish.
librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
betta, filter, pygmy cories, swordtail, twenty gallon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.