film on water surface
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 07-28-2005, 07:31 PM   #1
snakeskin
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

film on water surface

recently 5 out of my 6 angels died. I had noticed a film on the waters surface for several weeks before hand. could this be what killed them. I have thought of everything which could have made the film. no matter how many times I skim it off the surface it always returns? could this be from not cleaning my filter media? I have not done it for a long while?
snakeskin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2005, 08:26 PM   #2
shuks
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

I had the same problem when I started..I was using an under gravel filter and all the fish waste was collecting under the plastic at the bottem. For me the foam came from amonia and nitrite levels off the scale. This might sound weird, but smell the foam. If it smells like crap then you got a problem.
shuks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2005, 02:29 AM   #3
snakeskin
Planted Tank Obsessed

there is no real smell and the nitites and ammonia are near 0 if not 0
Old 07-29-2005, 05:31 AM   #4
Hypancistrus
Wannabe Guru

If your tank is covered, my guess is low DO killed them. Add an airstone to increase DO, lower organic waste, satisfy the BOD, and increase the overall general health of the tank.

If you have pressurized CO2 you may have to turn it up a little bit but the airstone will by no means make you lose your CO2.
Hypancistrus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2005, 05:35 AM   #5
shuks
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've heard contrary... Air stones creat surface aggitation and depleats your c02 levels
Old 07-29-2005, 09:47 PM   #6
snakeskin
Planted Tank Obsessed

I do have a hood, but I don't think it was low DO levels because the fish were not gasping at the top for air. Also I'm somewhat certain at least two died of internal parasites-they had white stringy feces and did not eat. It was the other three who really surprised me as they ate well were very energetic. Could it be because I fed them blackworms one time? because of the mysterious death of the healthy three I had reason to believe it was the film. There was an article in Aquarium USA about sudden fish deaths and a thin film on the waters surface was one cause. what could it be??????
Old 07-29-2005, 09:49 PM   #7
SnyperP
Planted Member

Surface scum is generally attributed to protiens that accumlate on the surface of your water. Generally, in planted tanks it becomes very noticable, similiar to the look of oil floating on water. You can remove this with a few methods.

You can literally use a paper towel and lay it on the water and then remove
-or you could use a cup and skim the surface
-or buy/create a surface skimmer for your filter
-or buy any fish that will generally eat surface scum. Mollies will do this, but i have a lone guppy that does the job too. He's getting pretty plump from all the eating =p
SnyperP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2005, 10:33 PM   #8
wantplantsnotwork
Planted Member

I have an airstone that is turned on when the lights turn off. This raised DO considerably through observation of the fish. The nice side effect was that the surface scum dissapeared. Plus, I have not lost any fish since the great ich break out - caused by low D.O., imho.

I really do not notice an increase of CO2 use at night with the stone on. The controller cycles fairly normally.

90 Gallon, eco, pressurized, controlled, 240 watts.
wantplantsnotwork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2005, 10:48 PM   #9
snakeskin
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Surface scum is generally attributed to protiens that accumlate on the surface of your water. Generally, in planted tanks it becomes very noticable, similiar to the look of oil floating on water. You can remove this with a few methods.

You can literally use a paper towel and lay it on the water and then remove
-or you could use a cup and skim the surface
-or buy/create a surface skimmer for your filter
-or buy any fish that will generally eat surface scum. Mollies will do this, but i have a lone guppy that does the job too. He's getting pretty plump from all the eating
What you desribed is exactly like what I have. I do use a cup to skim the surface, but this only works for a short while. Is there any way to permanantly get rid of it- I have guppies but they don't seem to be doing much if anything about the scum problem.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:31 AM   #10
snakeskin
Planted Tank Obsessed

well the problem has seemed to go away a little. there is less of the film on the surface; i lifted the output hose so there would be surface aggitation and for the time being it seems to be gone. I don't have to worry about losing co2 do to the surface agitation because i don't have a co2 injection unit....yet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.