high school's 90 gallon
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-27-2012, 03:41 AM   #1
fishyfish22
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Wink

high school's 90 gallon

so in my high school, we set up a 90 gallon. we added a lot of plastic plants and driftwood. as of two weeks ago, we had 20+(we got a few extra) neon tetras, 2 bristlenose plecostomus, 6 hatchetfish, and 2 otos. slowly, fish started dying. i checked the ammonia and it read 4.0 ppm. i changed about 60 gallons of water and brought it down to 1.0. by the time that was over, the livestock was down to 12 neons, 1 bristlenose pleco, 1 oto, and 6 hatchets. what i'm worried about is leaving the tank on its own with ammonia at 1.0 over the weekend, i know that there will be at least one dead fish when i get back on monday. i hope to get it from 1ppm to as low as possible with ought hurting the fish. anybody know of a way to keep ammonia low? i know water changes is one, but any others?
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2012, 03:53 AM   #2
Sethjohnson30
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Did you cycle the tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sethjohnson30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:56 AM   #3
fishyfish22
Algae Grower

yes. for about two weeks we let it cycle, we had biowheels in there that were from a previous tank and a lot of previously used gravel.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:13 AM   #4
Sethjohnson30
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Maybe your test is no good I would just keep doing wc until it stabilizes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sethjohnson30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:33 AM   #5
ddrfreak_tung
Planted Tank Obsessed

it usually takes a month to cycle a tank, your best bet is to keep doing wc. Is the tank you got the seed from still running? If it is and it doesnt house any fish that will eat the smaller one then i suggest moving them over.
ddrfreak_tung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:55 AM   #6
Ihs
Algae Grower

I think it was a bit overstocked for a 2 week cycled tank...

You could also use a dechlorinator that acts on ammonia as well...
Could use zeolite or purigen in the filter
Move the fish to a balanced/cycled tank and let the tank cycle...
Do a lot of wc....

Just a few ideas....but if you have access to a different test kit try that one before doing anything...it might be a wrong reading...
Moving the fish and letting the tank cycle is by far the best option tho...
Ihs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:49 AM   #7
fishyfish22
Algae Grower

finally brought ammonia back down to below .25 ppm, i estimate it being .05, the survivors are 3 neon tetras, 5 hatchetfish, 1 britslenose catfish, and 1 otocinclus. we're going to let things stabalize for a bit, and then add a few fish at a time. what would some things be? i was thinking about 15 ghost shrimp, they could eat waste and any remaining detritus.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:03 AM   #8
mitchfish9
Planted Tank Nation

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyfish22 View Post
yes. for about two weeks we let it cycle, we had biowheels in there that were from a previous tank and a lot of previously used gravel.
did you feed the bacteria for those two weeks with fish food or ammonia?
mitchfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:41 AM   #9
fishyfish22
Algae Grower

fish food
Old 07-19-2013, 07:59 PM   #10
fishyfish22
Algae Grower

Update! Kind of haha. I'm sorry for not keeping up with the journal. I really should have :/ ok, we'll I'm updating now. By the end of the giant fish loss that happened (the one talked about above) there was very little left. We had two neon tetras, an Otto, and a bristle nose. The hatchets all died out unfortunately. Throughout the year we added another school of neon tetras and that narrowed down to about six after another crash. We added another bristlenose( this time an albino) three white mollies and three yellow colored ones, along with three fan tailed guppies. (One red, one yellow one blue) after the crash we were left with one yellow spelled Molly, and yellow fan tailed guppy. The two formed a bond and often stayed close to each other. The bristlenoses and the Oto lived

Here are some pics of it that I took on the last day of school( its summer vacation for me now and I'll be going back into school halfway through August. Turns out there was a janitor that was into aquariums as well however had no space for one and he fed and maintained the tanks during the summer as well as during the winter break and on the vacations alongside the ninety we got two 50 gallons set up( the ones to the right of the one in the picture) on the one right next to it we added a Pleco and a small goldfish(one of the fancy ones though I forgot the name) and on the furthest we put the only fish left from the last time the tanks were set up. I'll post pictures later!
Old 07-19-2013, 08:12 PM   #11
Current USA
Sponsor

Great story! Just keep trying, and you'll learn! When done right, tanks take less than 24 hours to cycle and load with sensitive shrimp/ other species. Anyway, this story reminds me of my high school experiences with founding the aquarium club. Check it out here: http://galileoweb.org/chinnc/old-pages/aquarium-club/
Current USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:12 PM   #12
fishyfish22
Algae Grower

Sorry for the delay Here are some pics!

The only thing I could take a picture of that wouldn't swim away was the albino Pleco. Haha it's a fun fish.

By war, my proudest part of the tank is the rock work, which I found as just a pile of slate rocks.

Here's the goldfish. Ive named it derp haha. When I'm by it it swims close but as soon as I try to take a picture it swims away. It is in the pirate themed tank.

Last edited by fishyfish22; 07-19-2013 at 08:41 PM.. Reason: Specifications
fishyfish22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:34 PM   #13
fishyfish22
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Current USA View Post
Great story! Just keep trying, and you'll learn! When done right, tanks take less than 24 hours to cycle and load with sensitive shrimp/ other species. Anyway, this story reminds me of my high school experiences with founding the aquarium club. Check it out here: http://galileoweb.org/chinnc/old-pages/aquarium-club/
Wow! That's awesome! Where did you get funding for it? I want to take a different direction and turn the 90 gallon into a planted but the funding is the hardes thing. If the school had enough I'd have had a 150 reef running by now. I could provide corals from my own reef tank . Does anyone know of any aquariums companies or companies in general that could provide funding for something likes this?
Old 07-19-2013, 08:38 PM   #14
fishyfish22
Algae Grower

Also the second tank (with the goldfish) is what I call my schools tank. My schools mascot is the pirate and our colors are gray and red but gray looks dull in a reef so I used black instead. That is why there is a pirate ship a the main attraction for this tank and why the gravel is black and red. Does anyone know of any fish that could go with this theme? I'll move the goldfish next year to another tank.