Rusty's 30 gallon Satellite+ tank - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-27-2012, 07:50 AM   #31
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUvet14 View Post
Lol. It's all good. everything is replanted now. I will take a photo here in a couple days. I think I was able to get rid of the algae, after some intensive labor I haven't seen any more of the little green threads. Plants will regrow with time. Stuff had grown so dense, I probably needed to pull everything up and replant anyways.
Well that's good to hear! Your tank is so beautiful! And being in a mag even says so all that much more! BTW, your dog is too friggin cute in that hoodie!!! Love the Avatar!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 12:37 PM   #32
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

I am 125% positive that take #2 will be even more impressive then take #1.
OVT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:29 PM   #33
AUvet14
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandas tank View Post
Well that's good to hear! Your tank is so beautiful! And being in a mag even says so all that much more! BTW, your dog is too friggin cute in that hoodie!!! Love the Avatar!
Haha! He wasn't too happy with me when I put it on him but he likes it better when we get outside when it's cold out. I usually don't use that one on him unless it gets down into the lower 40's and below (Yeah, I know, that's a heat wave for you Alaskans ). He has another one that is more of a lighter weight fleece jacket that doesn't cover his neck and ears that he wears most of the time. People look at me funny sometimes when they see a GUY putting "clothes" on his dog, but hey, he doesn't have any hair or fat to keep him warm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
I am 125% positive that take #2 will be even more impressive then take #1.
Thanks! I hope so. It is somewhat disappointing to see what it had become and now looking at it and it looks like I just started. Lol. Oh well, such is the circle of life of a planted aquarium. Btw, I agree with your statement on Amanda's thread. You can never have too many plants . What if you don't have any room for any more plants? I'm toying with the idea of starting a nano rimless tank, 6 or 7ish gallons, just as a fun side project. Something I can rescape every now and then just for the fun of it but without being an all day ordeal.
AUvet14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:48 PM   #34
AUvet14
Planted Tank Obsessed

If you care to read what I did to treat the algae, you can read this thread: My treatment for spirogyra algae
Old 11-27-2012, 09:17 PM   #35
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

LOL! A GUY putting a coat on his dog is a rare sight to see Too funny but good man, good man. Grey Hounds are very much in need of something extra on those colder days. Dobermans too. And, Danes as well right OVT? BTW! OVT you changed you Avatar to a beggin dane with his cute face on the table top! Adorable!!! So, you must not have changed your socks this morning

Good idea to have a small tank so that you have something to rescape when ever that urge to "tinker" in the tank arrises! I want a Fluval Edge for my bedside. Hubby won't go for it though Darn it anyhoo.

So my dober has a yellow raincoat, a "cunstruction" vest (for biking), a blue snowsuit, a giant red canvas/wool jacket, a couple other small wrap-on fleece and some Raindeer Antlers (just in time for Christmas!) He loves all of them LOL! He jumps in circles when he sees me get even close to a clothing item that belongs to him. Such a fashion bug Hee Hee.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:24 PM   #36
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

My Dane is a California dog. He has never seen snow in his life and he won't go outside if it's raining. He only got some antlers, he goes au naturale otherwise.
OVT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:35 PM   #37
AUvet14
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well I feel better now knowing at least I don't have antlers for my greyhound. I did consider getting him one of those little jockey riders for Halloween because I think that would be hilarious, but his chest is too big. They don't make one big enouh. Lol. He came from a track in Florida so he's never seen snow, but it does get cold for him during the winter. He refuses to go outside when its raining as well. Lol.

Sent from my HTC One S
Old 12-01-2012, 07:20 AM   #38
oliver77
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUvet14 View Post
Well, I came back from thanksgiving break to find I had a spirogyra outbreak I've now uprooted all of the plants, cleaned them, manually removed as much of the algae as possible, soaked in an H2O2 bath, and everything is ready to be replanted. I've also blacked out the tank for that past couple days and I'm going to do a 50% water change today before replanting. I think I'm also getting rid of the moss for now since it is so infested with algae. It looks so bare now Hopefully it won't take long for everything to fill in again once I get everything replanted.

Wow bummer! What caused the algae outbreak? did u ran out of CO2 or something during the break?

It was looking reallllyy sweet before that.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:06 PM   #39
AUvet14
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver77 View Post
Wow bummer! What caused the algae outbreak? did u ran out of CO2 or something during the break?

It was looking reallllyy sweet before that.
Not quite sure what caused the outbreak. CO2 remained good. Both CO2 and lights are one a timer, so nothing changed with that. I had a friend stop by each day to add the fertilizers. I'm thinking probably restricted water flow from overly dense plant growth and possibly mulm accumulation from lack of adequate cleaning, maybe an ammonia spike due to the addition of multiple new plants at once with some of the older leaves decaying. I have an updated photo I took last night, I just haven't had time to post it yet. I will try to do that shortly. It actually doesn't look TOO bad now, just a lot thinner than it was.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:45 PM   #40
AUvet14
Planted Tank Obsessed

Friday night pic:

Doesn't look too bad, especially considering I dismantled everything, soaked everything in harsh H2O2, handled everything extensively, then replanted. I'd say that overall, the treatment seems to have helped (I'm not going to say it worked because as soon as I do, things will go south again) a great deal and the plants seem to have taken it relatively well. The blyxa japonica has many leaves that are melting, probably due to being burned in the H2O2, but they are still very much alive and should recover. Here's to a new beginning
Old 12-01-2012, 04:40 PM   #41
thefisherman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

dam rusty... maybe you should crash your tank every six months or so cuz your rebuild looks great! cheers

- thefisherman

The Fisherman's Workbench
thefisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:50 PM   #42
AUvet14
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefisherman View Post
dam rusty... maybe you should crash your tank every six months or so cuz your rebuild looks great! cheers

- thefisherman
Haha. I'd rather not... That was a day and a half of labor to dismantle, clean, pre-trim, then replant everything. But I do agree, it looks pretty nice now, just not very full yet. Thanks though! Too bad I had to cut away most of my moss . I did leave tiny stubs that had attached to the driftwood, so maybe it will regrow with time, hopefully algae-free this time.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:51 PM   #43
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

What the fisherman said! I can't believe how good this looks after seeing the last picture! Good Job!
Old 12-03-2012, 10:15 PM   #44
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Wow... the tank looks great! It looks well planned out and I'm diggin' the substrate color!
Old 12-04-2012, 12:46 AM   #45
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

sorry to hear about the outbreak, that sucks. but the rebuild looks outstanding!! it's gonna fill in a lot better than you probably imagined it would originally.

and for what it's worth? i put clothes on my dog as well. she's a little toy fox terrier, and she's a prima donna too, she will not go out in the rain. forget snow, she won't even go near a door...LOL
Fishies_in_Philly is offline   Reply With Quote