Cherry Shrimp Problem
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 04-03-2014, 04:01 PM   #1
allcha

PTrader: (0/0%)

Cherry Shrimp Problem

Hi.

I have a 10g tank that has been setup for about 3 months. There is a good amount of java moss and water sprite in the tank. I started with 10 cherry shrimp about a month ago, and now I only have 3 (one male, two female). They seem to be dying slowly during the night, and when my light turns on in the morning they are often very white looking.

My kH is 4-5, gH 7-8, pH 7.8, nitrates 5-10, ammonia/nitrites 0, Cu 0. Temp is around 74-76.

None of my females have become berried yet, and one that arrived berried had the shrimp fry but they disappeared (I assume they died as I haven't seen them in two weeks). There are some pond snails in the tank as well, and the filter is a hob with a prefilter sponge.

Any suggestions?
allcha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2014, 04:07 PM   #2
stanjam
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Are you using co2? If so turn it off, at least at night.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk
Old 04-03-2014, 04:12 PM   #3
allcha

No co2, pretty low tech tank
Old 04-03-2014, 04:15 PM   #4
ctaylor3737
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/100%)

Nitrates should be alot lower best to be at 0 with shrimp. I also dont use a heater in my tanks. I keep mine around 68. Do you inject co2? Use ferts? They will usually adapt to most water conditions for the most part. I keep them in softer water and they do fine for me. Do you have an airstone in there? Also is there any fish in there?
ctaylor3737 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2014, 04:42 PM   #5
allcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctaylor3737 View Post
Nitrates should be alot lower best to be at 0 with shrimp. I also dont use a heater in my tanks. I keep mine around 68. Do you inject co2? Use ferts? They will usually adapt to most water conditions for the most part. I keep them in softer water and they do fine for me. Do you have an airstone in there? Also is there any fish in there?
I use excel daily, but no injected co2. I have aqueon "aquarium plant food" fertilizer, no copper or anything listed in it. There was an airstone in the tank, but I took it out. They seem to do about the same without the airstone as with it. Also, no fish.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:43 PM   #6
Oceangirl
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

what kind of food are you feeding? you say they look white? Do they look milky like a bacterial infection.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:45 PM   #7
ctaylor3737
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I always had iffy luck using tap with any shrimp. Mine never bred and died also. Went to RO and remineralize and never had a problem. I have to pull them out all the time due,to massive breeding. Small tank It's cheap to run

-Chris
Old 04-03-2014, 04:46 PM   #8
allcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceangirl View Post
what kind of food are you feeding? you say they look white? Do they look milky like a bacterial infection.
I'm not sure what that would look like. They redden up during the day though, so I'm not sure that is it. I feed them fluval shrimp granules every 3-4 days, only a few pieces. I think there is plenty of algae and stuff for them to eat right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctaylor3737 View Post
I always had iffy luck using tap with any shrimp. Mine never bred and died also. Went to RO and remineralize and never had a problem. I have to pull them out all the time due,to massive breeding. Small tank It's cheap to run

-Chris
I may try this. What do you use to remineralize?
Old 04-03-2014, 05:17 PM   #9
greenteam
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

can you post a picture of your tank to get an idea of the setup?
Old 04-03-2014, 09:19 PM   #10
ctaylor3737
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by allcha View Post
I'm not sure what that would look like. They redden up during the day though, so I'm not sure that is it. I feed them fluval shrimp granules every 3-4 days, only a few pieces. I think there is plenty of algae and stuff for them to eat right now.

I may try this. What do you use to remineralize?

I use RO water and Mosura Mineral Plus Ultra. Works great and let's you control the parameters. I just use inert gravel, sponge filter and an hob. I can post a picture, it's really simple.

-Chris
Old 04-03-2014, 10:49 PM   #11
shrimpo
Algae Hoarder!

PTrader: (45/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by allcha View Post
I use excel daily, but no injected co2. I have aqueon "aquarium plant food" fertilizer, no copper or anything listed in it. There was an airstone in the tank, but I took it out. They seem to do about the same without the airstone as with it. Also, no fish.
Your water parameters looks ok, I am thinking maybe you are dosing too much fertilizers. with low tech, no CO2 you don't need too many plant foods.
shrimpo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.