Sudden Amano deaths?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 08-21-2014, 04:49 PM   #1
Little Soprano
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Sudden Amano deaths?

About three weeks ago I picked up three Amanos from Blue Fish Aquariums out here in Michigan. They were extremely happy from day 1. No frantic swimming around (there's no fish in this tank), never attempted to escape. Just munching away at hair algae and twice a week I'd throw in three Hikari Shrimp Cuisine pellets, of which each shrimp would take one, sit on some moss and munch away.

They all recently molted (maybe a week ago), and then two days later one died, then yesterday another died, and this morning I woke to another one dead :/

My parameters are all normal:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20
pH 7.6
(tested with API master test kit)
kH 6.7
GH is 11
(gh/kh from test strips)
Temperature is at a steady 68 degrees

They were drip acclimated when I got them too.

I'm not sure what the TDS is, but I do weekly water changes on the tank anyway so I don't monitor it much.

The first one still had its beautiful blue color that it had when I picked them up, the second one's shell was split at the head (almost looked like another molt?), and the one this morning looked completely normal too, but dead.

The tank is 10 Gallons, with an Aquaclear 30 running at about half speed, filled with filter sponge, the Aquaclear sponge, the Aquaclear bio rings, and Purigen. I did use Algaefix before the shrimp arrived, but I let the tank run with freshly recharged Purigen AND carbon for a week along with two 75% water changes. After the shrimp arrived I did recharge the Purigen but that was well over 2 weeks ago. I also changed the filter pads when the Algaefix was done (I put extras into my 40 gal long filter about 3ish weeks before algaefix-just in case it killed off some of the beneficial bacteria), only thing that wasn't removed was the sponge and biorings.

I was thinking maybe it was a little bleach residue from the Purigen, but I would think that would've killed them when I put the Purigen back in the tank.

I'm using Eco Complete, and the tank is loaded with driftwood, willow moss, and Anubias. There's also a handful of bladder snails that magically survived the Algaefix treatment. I killed my hydra infestation before they arrived also (most were killed by Algaefix, then I dosed some fenbendazole I had in the house).

What could have killed them? If it matters the fish place I got them from has the same water parameters, and they were actually in a tank getting treated with Algaefix.

I use prime with all of my water changes, and although I do use tap, my tap water, I like to think, is pretty good for most fish. No chloromines in our water. The tank was cycle for a month, then housed a baby koi for about a month and some neons up until about 10 days or so before the shrimp arrived, so it was fairly mature and fully cycled too.

The tank (sorry for the blurriness... I have shaky hands. White stuff in the moss is dead hair algae, which they've been obsessed with. I chopped up most of the moss after the algaefix treatment, so tank looks awful right now, and trying to get the shrimp out of where they died was a PITA, so I knocked everything around lol)

So sad they all died

Last edited by Little Soprano; 08-21-2014 at 05:00 PM.. Reason: added information
Little Soprano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2014, 08:11 PM   #2
DayOlder
Wounded Warrior

PTrader: (2/100%)

So sorry for your loss. I have 16 Amanos in a heavily planted tank with a lot of fish as well. They have been in my tank all most since the beginning and together we have been through a lot of changes together and they have all held up very well. They have not only seemed unaffected by change, they almost seem to like it. I'm also on eco complete and our PH and GH are the same. My shrimp have survived a couple of medical dosings. The only differences I see between our tanks are I keep my Amanos at 77 degrees, actually for the fish. The second difference is I keep my nitrate at 0. I have heard that lack of calcium will kill them during molting but I've never added any and never had a problem. Good luck.

Last edited by DayOlder; 08-21-2014 at 08:13 PM.. Reason: spelling
DayOlder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:42 PM   #3
Little Soprano
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayOlder View Post
So sorry for your loss. I have 16 Amanos in a heavily planted tank with a lot of fish as well. They have been in my tank all most since the beginning and together we have been through a lot of changes together and they have all held up very well. They have not only seemed unaffected by change, they almost seem to like it. I'm also on eco complete and our PH and GH are the same. My shrimp have survived a couple of medical dosings. The only differences I see between our tanks are I keep my Amanos at 77 degrees, actually for the fish. The second difference is I keep my nitrate at 0. I have heard that lack of calcium will kill them during molting but I've never added any and never had a problem. Good luck.
Well eventually I wanted to do Tiger Shrimp, so I decided to let it sit at room temperature and it ended up at 68 degrees, which I read is a pretty good temperature... I was hoping that maybe they'd be fine in the 68 degree water but maybe that was part of it. Or maybe it was the nitrates I have no idea. I do dose a little bit of nitrates just because the moss sucks it up pretty fast, but that could be the problem right there.

I was also thinking maybe it might be post-molt problem too. My Red Claw Macro had no problems with molting in the tank, but Macro shrimp are completely different from Amanos. My kH is relatively high, which I was HOPING would be enough calcium, plus I left the old molt from the first shrimp in the tank, but definitely some food for thought.

But if I can't even keep Amanos alive, maybe Tigers are a nono for me haha. Though as sad as it is they died, at least I can diagnose the problems with the tank before I go with more expensive shrimp!
Old 08-21-2014, 09:54 PM   #4
DayOlder
Wounded Warrior

I also have a tank of Neos, Yellow & Pumpkin. To be honest I get more enjoyment out of my Amanos than my Neos. My Neo tank is completely RO. I tried treated tap at first and loss two batches of CRS. That was when I went to Amanos to gain some experience. Now my Neos are doing OK but I'm bored with them.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:24 PM   #5
Little Soprano
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayOlder View Post
I also have a tank of Neos, Yellow & Pumpkin. To be honest I get more enjoyment out of my Amanos than my Neos. My Neo tank is completely RO. I tried treated tap at first and loss two batches of CRS. That was when I went to Amanos to gain some experience. Now my Neos are doing OK but I'm bored with them.
lol yeah. I love CRS shrimp, but I think Tigers are beautiful. I don't have the money to buy an RO system, but our LFS store sells it for .39 cents a gallon. So if it really is my water doing it I can always go that route (for only 3.90cents to refill the entire tank, it's a bargain).

They were pretty fascinating to watch though. Similar in personality to my Macro shrimp. I was so shocked they never even bothered to hide. When I moved my tank the new stand two weeks ago, I drained the water down to an inch or so to pick up the tank, and all three of them just sat there eating the hikari shrimp cuisine pellets like nothing was going on at all.

Edit: If it was, by chance calcium-which seems like it might have been it-is there anything I can do to fix that?

Last edited by Little Soprano; 08-21-2014 at 10:29 PM.. Reason: added question
Old 08-22-2014, 12:25 AM   #6
DayOlder
Wounded Warrior

Doing a quick search for calcium in this forum I came up with liquid calcium, oyster shell tabs, and tums. Personally I've never used any of these. I did remember something else unrelated to calcium that I have added to both my tanks and that's aquarium salt. Basically 1 tablespoon for every five gallons. Been doing that for so long can't remember why, lol. Also on the RO; I don't have an RO system either. I buy it from my grocery store for .34/gal. I'm going to start mixing it 50% with tap just so I won't have to add minerals. My tap water is pretty good and that's what I use in my fish tank except I top off with RO. I think in my shrimp tank which is now all RO I'm going to top it off with tap water and do water changes with RO. I'm hoping that will add some more minerals to the water instead of me having to buy any.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:57 AM   #7
ShyShrimpDoc
ScrimpMaster

PTrader: (10/100%)

Certain bacterial infections will cause early molting and rapid death. Blue is not a normal color for an Amano. It means they are stressed.
ShyShrimpDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:44 AM   #8
Little Soprano
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyShrimpDoc View Post
Certain bacterial infections will cause early molting and rapid death. Blue is not a normal color for an Amano. It means they are stressed.
Thats actually pretty interesting. They weren't terribly blue but they definitely had a strong blue tint to them. Maybe thats why they died right after they molted, pretty much one right after the other :/

If it was a bacterial infection do I need to dose anything in the tank to clear it out?

Almost tempted to just give up on my goal of getting Tiger Shrimp in this tank and just going with fish lol...
Old 08-22-2014, 05:07 AM   #9
Jalopy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

I've had them be slightly blue due to the algae they were eating. If their body was cloudy then I think it's a bacterial infection. Right now some of mine have a slight rosy hue to them.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:18 AM   #10
Little Soprano
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalopy View Post
I've had them be slightly blue due to the algae they were eating. If their body was cloudy then I think it's a bacterial infection. Right now some of mine have a slight rosy hue to them.
They looked quite well up until very recently.

Thats a picture from maybe 9-10 days ago? (excuse the dirty glass haha), but I mean they were looking fine to me and they were so calm. Then one molted, died, then the other two molted one right after another and were dead soon after. They did have a blue tint to them though when I found them dead. A VERY strong blue tint. Sky-blueish.

When I first got them they had a blueish tint to them. But they quickly changed to the color you see in the picture, maybe 24 hours after being introduced to the tank. It was just so weird to see them all of sudden die with a few days of each other, after being perfectly happy for 3 weeks.