55 gallon newb low/no tech advice needed
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 11-03-2012, 01:06 AM   #1
gmoses
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)

55 gallon newb low/no tech advice needed

So in an effort to fulfill my growing plant and shrimp obsession i have decided to redo another 55 from a cichlid tank to a planted tank. I currently have a few shrimp tanks with plants in them i made one attempt to do a 55 planted tank but i must be honest i got a bunch of plants at an auction threw them in and hoped they survived. Some have some have not. So i am here asking a couple of things. What is the best way to smartly set up a really lush planted tank that is no tech but still can survive and do well. I dont have money to buy special substrate for all 55 so i was thinking about doing some sand sections. I want to add cpds and scarlet badis and maybe move a bunch of my red cherries in there as ai jave a large colony. So am i stuck only with java ferns and java moss or can i still do a cool looking tank. I have it near a window so it gets good natural light and i will use my emperor 400 filter and sponge filters... sorry for the rambling
gmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2012, 02:01 AM   #2
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Well, Java Fern and Java Moss are not rooted in the substrate, so if you stick with these, the substrate is not too important. Play sand is fine, or there are some other colors available in different products like black diamond blasting grit or Pebble Tek quartz.

If you want any rooted plants, however, it would be important to get a good quality substrate. Something with high cationic exchange capacity. This need not be expensive. Something like Safe-T-Sorb, for example, is sold in 40 lb bags and that is enough to do about 2 tanks with the traditional 55 gallon footprint.

That size tank is tricky to deal with, to get a good 3-D effect because it is not very deep back to front. I would do something rather simple, a couple of bunches of Java Fern and tie the Java Moss to a simple curving branch. Don't get wood with too many little twigs. Maybe 3 main branches, just a couple of forks. Keep it simple.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:17 AM   #3
gmoses
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thank you for the quick response. To be more clear i already have a white sand. And a black and white sand from my cichlid tanks. I definitely want some rooted plants and maybe something to look like grass. Not sure which is best. I already have a piece of driftwood that has really made me want to do this. It is a large piece though that has lots of limbs... i will take pics tomorrow. I will look into getting that soil.
What are some easy llants that i can do? I do have a nice piece of driftwood with java fern attached that i may add from one of my 10 gallon shrimp tank. Still deciding.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:25 AM   #4
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Sand does not hold nutrients very well. I would skip the sand and buy Safe-T-Sorb.

If you still want to use sand, then plan on adding slow release fertilizer deep under the sand. Read about Osmocote as an aquarium fertilizer, for example.

Most of the more grassy looking plants are better in a medium or higher light tank. How much light will this tank get? That tall a tank is difficult to light from the top. How near the window is it, and does it get some direct sun?

Valisneria (there are several species) is not too bad in moderate light.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:37 AM   #5
gmoses
Planted Tank Obsessed

What i was thinking was using the sand as a pathway where there would be no plants and the other substrate in 2/3 the tank. The tank is a couple of feet of the windows as its in an area where the sun gets through but not as high as my other tank which gets a strong direct light. So i would consider it gets a medium light....