Emersed tank journal
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-10-2015, 02:47 AM   #1
treyLcham
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Emersed tank journal

Hi every, I just wanted to make a journal about my experience in starting an emersed tank and what will change and really just about the progress and to help people understand how it works! Now I will be learning how it works along the way so bare with me if I do not do so well in the start lol, but I have research for a full two days now and have come out with what I think are optimal conditions for the plants to thrive in. (UPDATE!!! constructing of the setup are on pages 1-3, planting of the emersed setup starts on page 4!!!)
Reviews of my plants will be found on my profile under visitor messages =)
Supply's-
6- CFL 6500k 800 lumens.($8 for two) i changed the lighting which added to the cost since it now has 15bulbs.
1/2-class room table lol(free)
6- plug-in socket adapters (80cent each)
6- extension cords($1 each)
1- power strip ( $2)
1-glue gun (free)
2- egg flat light panel($15) not sure on this price
1- clear container or aquarium(I'm using a 50g)
1- air pump and air stone for hair circulation)
?- plastic tubs from $ store ($1each)
1- acrylic top for light fixture (free)
1- bag of aquarium gravel(goes in bottom of pot 1")
1-bag organic soil( goes 1/4" to top of pot)
1- bag osmocote plus($20)
1- cheap cat litter bag you want the clay(at top of pot $7)
1- plastic rap ($?)
1-timer ($6)
Now here is what I did for my light fixture
I pre cut everything with a table saw and then used nails to hold it together. I then took a hole saw and drilled as many as I wanted at a little bigger hole than the socket adapters. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425954831.004009.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	443658
After doing all that I took the adapters and would hold them to where I wanted them to be depth wise and then hot glued them into place(if your not using CFL I would make sure the light doesn't get to hot before using hot glue. If it does I would use epoxy.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425955183.863839.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	443674
Here is a picture of the lights all in place and glued with the power cords nicely zip tied together.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425955075.927909.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	443666
And now here is the light on top of the aquarium. I plan on getting a spacer to put on the corners of the light fixture to hold it slightly up for air circulation to cool it off a little.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425955376.863140.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	213.5 KB
ID:	443682
So that's all I have for now but I will be getting more don't so stay tuned! Plants will probably be decided on come next week and I will probably order them also!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by treyLcham; 04-23-2015 at 03:19 AM.. Reason: updating the first post
treyLcham is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2015, 04:00 AM   #2
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)

Hi treyLcham,

Nice start! A couple of thoughts to consider, watch the temps in the tank and try to maintain high humidity.

Seattle_Aquarist is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2015, 04:11 AM   #3
treyLcham
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yea I have been looking into the humidity and I'm going to try to keep it above 60at all times and I really want it at 80-90 to make sure the plants have an Easter time going from emersed to submersed and or the other way. Temp, I have heard different things from everyone, but I want to go for a temp of around 84-86
Old 03-10-2015, 04:12 AM   #4
treyLcham
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Can someone move this thread to journals, or is it not allowed there? I thought in put it there to begin with but idk I might have not.
Old 03-10-2015, 05:24 AM   #5
Sean W.
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Hey Trey,

Heed Seattle's warning. It looks like the tank you are using is rimless and I cant think of a way to put a lid on it to keep the humidity in. Without a lid, you simply will not be able to keep the humidity where you need it.

Seattle's guidance helped me design 3 different iterations and versions, each better than the last of my emersed growing setup.

Give my video a watch to get an idea of what it takes to successfully grow plants emersed.

Sean W. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2015, 02:25 PM   #6
treyLcham
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Sean I actually used your videos to buy all my supply and I will be putting plastic rap on the top and I also have a sheaf of acrylic on top of it that is a perfect fit so if the humidity still isn't good I will duck tape the corners like you said in your video! I also watched your light fixture video and that's how I learned how to and what lights to use! Thanks!!!

Old 03-10-2015, 02:25 PM   #7
treyLcham
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Now how far away am I going to be wanting the lights from the plants or pots?

Old 03-10-2015, 02:33 PM   #8
natebuchholz
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Great video Sean. I really enjoy these setups. I recently started one as well. My lights are about 12-15" above the substrate in mine; it can be seen in my journal thread.

Journals:
Long............XII
natebuchholz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2015, 02:39 PM   #9
treyLcham
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Alright thanks! For some reason I think they put this thread in aquascaping after I had put it in the journal thread.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:57 PM   #10
treyLcham
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ok so I just spray painted the inside of the light fixture gloss white to have more light reflection I'll post a picture in about one hour

Old 03-10-2015, 11:09 PM   #11
Sean W.
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by treyLcham View Post
Ok so I just spray painted the inside of the light fixture gloss white to have more light reflection I'll post a picture in about one hour

When I painted the inside of my light fixture gloss white, It increased the light out put of my CFL fixture by 75%. I could not believe it.

I would change your lights, The ones I use are 1600 lumens each, double what yours are. The great thing about emeresed setups is as long as you can control the temperature, blast them with as much light as you can. Heres a link to the ones I use. Make sure they are 6000k color

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-1...3557/204855102

Another thing Ive done to my enclosure since I made that video is I made risers out of 1"x1" lumber to raise the light fixture off the lid and got a small desktop fan from target for like $5 to add air circulation between the enclosure and the light. I found the lights were getting too hot and the enclosure was heating up too hot. I put the fan on the same timer as the lights and air pump.

I also switched to digital humidity and temperature gauges I got fromt he reptile section at PetSmart. THey are much more accurate than the analog gauges

the last thing I changed was I dont use those little clay pots anymore. Like Seattle warned, after about 5 months the plants had absorbed all the nutrients from the dirt and the plants started to grow slower and slower and eventually withered away and died. I lost over 100 AR Mini mother plants.

So now I use desk drawer organizers I found at Dollar Tree. They come in packs of two or three for $1, they let me put more dirt in it, and will also be easier in the future to fertilize/change the dirt. I just drill some holes in the bottom of each. Also I found the shape of the pots was inefficient, with the tapered shape leaving a lot of wasted space between each pot, compared to the drawer organizers, that have straight sides, more or less

Last edited by Sean W.; 03-10-2015 at 11:35 PM.. Reason: add pictures
Old 03-11-2015, 12:13 AM   #12
treyLcham
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Oh nice great to know! I will go to the dollar tree then and return the pots or might just keep them since there so cheap. How high do you keep your lights from your plants? I plan on putting white shelf paper on back and sides to add to the amount of light reflected which should give me that 1600lumens from the 800lumen lights. I would g with bigger but I am running on a short budget and I already had the lights. I have 8 6500k 800lumens so I think that will make up for the lost lumens since yours has 6i believe. I could add way more light but I just can't get off budget since I still have to purchase my plants for my other tank that I am waiting on the last bag of Aqua soil to come in. Sean let me know what you think of my estimated scales I made on Corel draw! I also thought of one more scape which I mention on the last page. Just go to tank journals and you will find it

Old 03-11-2015, 12:18 AM   #13
Sean W.
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Id say its about 15" from the plants to the lights.

If you're able to get your hands on some glossy white spray paint, Id do that instead of the white paper. I just shoved some paper towels in each other light sockets to protect the sockets and painted it, then removed the paper towels and screwed the lights back in.

I dunno how well Aquasoil will work, ive had really good success with the standard miracle grow.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:23 AM   #14
treyLcham
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Here are the pictures of the light fixture painted. As you can see I added two more holes for two extra lights. If need be I can always add two more to the sides. I used the gloss so it reflects better in theory at least. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426033418.835316.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	443858Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426033428.619637.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	443866

Old 03-11-2015, 12:25 AM   #15
Sean W.
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Oh yea looks good!

Sorry I thought you meant you are going to use white paper on the side of your light fixture. Now I realize you said you are going to do that to the tank itself!

That Light fixture looks great!

Are you going to make a cage like I did out of light diffuser? I just used zip ties to keep mine together

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.