Dropped's 7 Gallon
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-05-2014, 10:10 PM   #1
Dropped
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Dropped's 7 Gallon

Hi Guys,

Before i start with my thread I would just like to say thanks for all of the information, i have spent hours reading your tank journals and they have inspired me to build a tank, so thank you all for that!

Current setup

Tank
7 Gallon rimless

Filtration
SUNSUN 603B

Lighting
Green Element EVO12 Clip On LED Light

Substrate
Gravel/Seachem Flourite

Hard Scape
Random rocks from the garden

Plants
Anubias Barterii Var Nana
Dwarf Hair Grass
Hygrohila polysperma
Bacopa Carolinianat
Java Fern
java moss

Growing out in another tank.
African Water Fern (Bolbitis heudelotii)
Hemianthus micranthemoides

Starting my tank setup has been a bit of a journey with lots of mistakes and lots of lessons.

I wanted to start a planted tank, instead of jumping straight into it and buying a large tank, i thought i would try and do a cheap small planted tank. I ended up finding my tank on a local auction site and managed to pick it up for about 10 US dollars second hand, it also came with a Eheim 50w heater and a small filter/pump.

first i thought it would be a good idea to test out the tank so i filled it with water and chucked the heater and filter in for a few days, i found that the tank had no leaks and the heater worked, but the filter sucked, so i poped out and brought a in tank Eheim pickup 60.

I started with some base gravel and built up the base in the areas i thought i wanted higher than others, then i used the Seachem Flourite to create a planting layer, i should have moved the gravel away from the front of the tank but i had not yet learnt this trick, so the front of the tank looks a bit messy but there isnt much im going to do about this now.

Gravel only

Gravel and Seachem Flourite

First fill with water, pretty murky.. the Eheim filter didn't actually clean the tank up much at all

I planted the hair grass and Hygrohila polysperma just anywhere really, no plan of where things were to go really, it also took a few days for the water to clear up, and a few water changes also helped with this, at this point i was ready to throw the Eheim filter out and look for something else.

Also managed to pick up a Green Element EVO12 Clip On LED Light which suited my needs or what i thought were my needs at the time i brought it. I liked the clip on style and it had 10k led lights with a night setting.

I also picked up a new HOB filter, however pretty much as soon as i got it my bristle nose managed to get into the filter by swiming up the return, i did block the port off with some sponge but this slowed the flow down to much, so i brought a small SUNSUN 603b filter.

bristle nose swimming up the filter return..

I also found that the light was to bright for the Hygrohila polysperma and was causing the tops of the plants to go brown so i built a small stand for the light to sit on which raised it 4 or 5 inches from the tank, this seems to have fixed the issue.

I also placed some rocks in the tank, not sure if they will stay in there or if ill replace them with driftwood or something else yet.

Please make constructive suggestions and comments.

Last edited by Dropped; 12-01-2014 at 12:06 AM.. Reason: updating plant list
Dropped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2014, 11:22 PM   #2
umarnasir335
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)

Are you sure your light doesn't contain actinic leds? It looks way too blue to be a freshwater light...
umarnasir335 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2014, 11:55 PM   #3
Dropped
Algae Grower

I have no idea what that is, and you are right, its not a fresh water light.

I have actually just got some new LEDs in the post which are 6500k so will see what they end up like.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:08 AM   #4
Dropped
Algae Grower

The light is not really that blue at all, my Iphone makes it look pretty blue though.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:11 AM   #5
muktesh
Algae Grower

Sweet little tank! I think the clunky thermostat is an eye sore though.
muktesh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2014, 01:55 AM   #6
Dropped
Algae Grower

yip i agree with you Muktesh, i am looking at an inline heater, but that wont be for some time, maybe even after i get a bigger tank.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:00 AM   #7
Dropped
Algae Grower

Ive also noticed that all the pants have new shoots and are growing sideways not up so the light must be doing ok...
Old 11-06-2014, 07:51 PM   #8
Gravistunn
Algae Grower

That hygro will change color as it approaches the surface, you might want to look at some other photos to compare and see if yours was healthy or if it really needed the adjustment of light.

~Travis
Gravistunn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2014, 10:02 PM   #9
Dropped
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravistunn View Post
That hygro will change color as it approaches the surface, you might want to look at some other photos to compare and see if yours was healthy or if it really needed the adjustment of light.

~Travis
Oh really, that could explain it!

Im going away for a week so I wont make any changes just yet haha, might come back to some dead plants

Bump: #Gravistunn you were quite right, it was going orange, i thought it was burning for something haha.

"It does occasionally grow into an attractive plant and the leaves turn a shade of pink or orange as they grow closer to the light source"
Old 11-07-2014, 12:54 AM   #10
Virto
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Ha! My BNs always did the same thing. I ended up just having to drop the water level when they bred - I got sick of fishing them out from under the filter media.
SunSun Pimp #86
Virto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2014, 01:51 AM   #11
Dropped
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virto View Post
Ha! My BNs always did the same thing. I ended up just having to drop the water level when they bred - I got sick of fishing them out from under the filter media.
Haha they are little Sh*ts for sure!
Old 11-16-2014, 08:51 AM   #12
Dropped
Algae Grower

Ok small update, 7 days after installing the new light here are some before and after photos

Before

After

The Hair grass is growing really well, and i think the Hygrohila polysperma is just a weed at the rate it grows.

You can also see the Anubias Barterii Var Nana which has grown some new sprouts over the last week as well (not in the for picture).
Old 11-16-2014, 12:44 PM   #13
cg49me
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropped View Post
The Hair grass is growing really well, and i think the Hygrohila polysperma is just a weed at the rate it grows.
Pretty much all freshwater aquarium plants are glorified weeds.

Tank is looking good!
Old 11-16-2014, 06:50 PM   #14
Dropped
Algae Grower

haha im starting to think the same!

my babies tears have arrived in the post this morning so we will see what they grow like over the next week.

This tank is really so i can practice growing the plants for when i move to my larger tank, seems most of them are super easy to grow so could move to a bigger tank sooner than later.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:16 PM   #15
ZooKeepersMenagerie
Algae Grower

So was my 20gallon. I wanted to try a planted tank and got decent results. Now I am going to do a 10g with a nano/semi scape to hopefully have that better second try.

Your tank looks good though for a beginer! My first time, everything was shoved into places untill I gave up and just let everything grow. lol
ZooKeepersMenagerie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.