T5NO T5HO question
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 11-01-2012, 01:39 PM   #1
dski13
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

T5NO T5HO question

I am new to planted tanks and have question on the difference between T5HO and T5NO. If I start out with a T5NO fixture can I put T5HO bulbs in later if I decide I want to increase the light or are the fixtures different? Background info: I am setting up a 20 gallon Tall as a low tech planted tank. I am researching what lights to purchase for it.

Thanks.
dski13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
Merth
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)

There has been some discussion on this before. The conclusions are low teck NO bulbs are better option as HO may require CO2 or become algae farms. Depending on fixture the HO bulbs (upgrade later) may not fit, may not fire, may wear out the ballast quicker as they require more power to light, may not operate at full strength. In other words alot of maybes. Best option if you are going to go with low tech would be the NO fixture and if you want more light later thean just upgrade the whole fixture. Or go with the HO now and raise the fixture up for the time being.
Merth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:13 PM   #3
mach_six
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dski13 View Post
I am new to planted tanks and have question on the difference between T5HO and T5NO. If I start out with a T5NO fixture can I put T5HO bulbs in later if I decide I want to increase the light or are the fixtures different? Background info: I am setting up a 20 gallon Tall as a low tech planted tank. I am researching what lights to purchase for it.

Thanks.

No, T5HO runs at a higher wattage which a T5NO ballast wouldn't be able to drive.

I use 3x 23w CFL spiral bulbs in a 2 dual reptile dome lights and it's plenty of light for a 55G. One has a 9W (3x3W) LED bulb.
mach_six is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:45 PM   #4
dbosman@msu.edu
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

I keep only T5HO lamps on hand. They work in my T5HO and T5NO fixtures. An electronic ballast effectively reads the electical characteristics of the lamp and outputs accordingly.

I recommend your local hydroponics store for daylight T5HO lamps. Pricing is great as they deal in volume a pet or fish store can never achieve.
dbosman@msu.edu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:28 PM   #5
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

Someone with a T5HO or T5NO light fixture, and a PAR meter, can easily settle this question. Until that happens it is largely a guess as to whether any given light fixture will run NO and HO bulbs at different wattages.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:02 PM   #6
dski13
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Thanks for the input. I did not think to check out a hydroponics store for lights that is a great idea. Since I am going or Low Tech I will try out the T5NO lights for now.
dski13 is offline   Reply With Quote