Centerpiece fish for tank of tiny fish?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 12-29-2012, 01:01 AM   #1
Betta132
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Centerpiece fish for tank of tiny fish?

As you may or may not know, I recieved a 65 gallon aquarium for Christmas. My plans for it are a school of 8 or so pygmy cories, 5 or so slight larger cories like Julii cories, 5 or so zebra danios, 12 or more smallish pencilfish, something like 3-5 otocinclus, and a twig (farowella) catfish.
I will most likely also have 3 female bettas, and maybe a male swordtail if I find one I especially like. I also might add 5 or so Endler's livebearers, if I find some nice ones, and possibly a sparkling gourami or two.
Since all of these but the twig cat stay on the small/tiny side and the tank will be pretty heavily planted, this seems like a perfectly doable stock to me.
Can anyone recommend a peaceful 'centerpiece' fish that gets maybe 3-4 inches long, stays mostly in midwater, and won't eat my tiny fish? I was thinking maybe some kind of ram, maybe German Blue, but I don't know how these are with tiny fish. They're really pretty, and from what I've heard, they're peaceful. I know angelfish will probably scoff my teenies, and discus are just too difficult.
Also, do you think I could add any more to my schools? Maybe up the pencils, or even add another school? Tetras?
My adventures in keeping Indostomus crocodilus, the crocodile toothpick fish. AKA armored stickleback, paradox fish, and freshwater pipefish. Care is (to the best of my knowledge) exactly the same as Indostomus paradoxus.
Betta132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2012, 04:06 AM   #2
The Dude
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)

That's a whole lot of fish! I wouldn't feel comfortable with that many fish in that size tank. Personally I would do 1 bottom dweller group (Cory's), one of two schools of mid level fish (tetra's or something) and then a centerpiece fish or two.
In my 75g I've got 2 Pinoy Angels, 15 black neons, 15 Serpae tetras, and 4 Oto's. I really enjoy that tank.
In my 46 I'm working on a group of 20 cardinals and neons, 6 Cory's and 2 GBR's along with a bunch of RCS.
Both tanks require little maintenance and the inhabitants are happy. My Angels breed regularly and I'm hoping that my Rams will once I get a female for my male
Member #13

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=678009
The Dude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:20 AM   #3
Betta132
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Alright, I'll scale back a little. How do the GBRs act around the tetras? Do they ever attack them?
Also, if I only select fish under 2" (except for the bettas and maybe GBRs) how many overall do you think would be a good number? I know 'one inch per gallon' works okay as a basic measuring stick for itty bitty fish...
My adventures in keeping Indostomus crocodilus, the crocodile toothpick fish. AKA armored stickleback, paradox fish, and freshwater pipefish. Care is (to the best of my knowledge) exactly the same as Indostomus paradoxus.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:47 AM   #4
blink
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Rainbows? Maybe Praecox or something colorful.

My 25 gallon Solana cube

12G Rimless Club
blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:57 AM   #5
Perchance
Algae Grower

This site isn't at all 'all inclusive' or the holy grail of truth by any means but it was immensely helpful to me.. It gives you the chance to change your ideas, numbers and species really easily to just get an idea of what could work.

http://www.aqadvisor.com/

I do love rainbow fish, though.. And there are a ridiculous number of sub species to look into. They will, however, be dull as juveniles.

GBRs are usually fine with tetras. I'd introduce them last, after everything else is established but it should be fine. I would avoid them, however, as they prefer higher temperatures than most community fish. They also prefer lower pH and people usually overlook this. They are also quite delicate and need pristine water with stable parameters. While they often do fine in the lower temps, that usually only last a minimal amount of time in these conditions.
Perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:39 PM   #6
The Dude
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta132 View Post
Alright, I'll scale back a little. How do the GBRs act around the tetras? Do they ever attack them?
Also, if I only select fish under 2" (except for the bettas and maybe GBRs) how many overall do you think would be a good number? I know 'one inch per gallon' works okay as a basic measuring stick for itty bitty fish...
I've only had my GBR for a few days. This far he's super active and hangs out with the Cory's. He doesn't bother anyone including the shrimp. Other than the GBR and Cory's not eating much, they seem happy. My PH is a little on the high side and my temps are between 72* and 75*.
I'm no expert on how heavily a tank can be stocked, but I'm sure it depends on your filtration and plant stock.
Member #13

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=678009
The Dude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:47 PM   #7
Betta132
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perchance View Post
This site isn't at all 'all inclusive' or the holy grail of truth by any means but it was immensely helpful to me.. It gives you the chance to change your ideas, numbers and species really easily to just get an idea of what could work.

http://www.aqadvisor.com/

I do love rainbow fish, though.. And there are a ridiculous number of sub species to look into. They will, however, be dull as juveniles.

GBRs are usually fine with tetras. I'd introduce them last, after everything else is established but it should be fine. I would avoid them, however, as they prefer higher temperatures than most community fish. They also prefer lower pH and people usually overlook this. They are also quite delicate and need pristine water with stable parameters. While they often do fine in the lower temps, that usually only last a minimal amount of time in these conditions.
I tried to use that site, but these full-page ads popped up every time I tried to do something, and I pretty much couldn't do anything.
Alright, I'll look into rainbow fish... They are pretty, and I don't really mind dull colors, as long as they have personality.
Hmm... I might get something other than GBRs, I'm trying to stick with hardier fish.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:14 AM   #8
Bruce_S
Planted Member

Maybe the Bolivian rams? They're reputed to be significantly hardier than the blue Venezuelans. (Rams don't really come from Germany, do they?)

What about pearl gouramis? They're lovely, and have a peaceful rep - and small mouths for their size...

~Bruce
Bruce_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:39 AM   #9
Betta132
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The problem with the pearls is, I really want to keep sparkling gouramis, and I don't know if that would be a problem. Oh, I tried out that stocking thing:

So it looks like I have a little wiggle room.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:36 AM   #10
Perchance
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta132 View Post
I tried to use that site, but these full-page ads popped up every time I tried to do something, and I pretty much couldn't do anything.
Alright, I'll look into rainbow fish... They are pretty, and I don't really mind dull colors, as long as they have personality.
Hmm... I might get something other than GBRs, I'm trying to stick with hardier fish.

Really? That's strange? I must have some add ons that stop those kind of adds because it hasn't happened for me, sorry about that!

My guys (currently in quarantine) are supper friendly and already greet me and are super friendly and just really interesting guys

Yeah, that'd be a good idea. Bolivian Rams are, as was said, a hardier option that suits lower temps.
Perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:16 PM   #11
mitchfish9
Planted Tank Nation

PTrader: (3/100%)

IMO, less species in higher schools makes the fish a lot more comfortable and makes the tank look more pleasing fish wise. But some will disagree...
mitchfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:53 PM   #12
Betta132
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Alright, I'll look into Bolivian rams.
@mitchfish9, from what I've seen, most of these fish will more or less school with eachother. For example, pencilfish of two kinds will form one school, and the same usually goes for similarly-sized cories. I totally agree with you about the larger schools, I'm just trying to balance numbers and variety.

Tags
centerpiece, cories, german blue ram, pencilfish, schools