sandy!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 11-01-2012, 04:41 AM   #1
AquariumNoob
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

sandy!

Anyone else eating s**t due to the hurricane? Im fighting to keep my tanks above.60 degrees.. we have a generator so for part of the day i keep the tank filters heaters and air running but its off at night and during the morning since we power the water heater to shower instead.. and its too loud to run at night.. using fire place for heat and im on the second floor fortunately so tanks stayin above 64 as of now. We have a gas stove so i boiled water to heat the tanks as much as possible when the heaters are off. Fish and shrimp are alright for now. Day 3 is over time for day 4 no power.. apparently well be out til nov 5th and gas is gonna run out in nj at this rate. Good thing i gassed up my trucks before the storm. No damage to the house fortunately! No flooding either(not much rain like we had with irene, and far enough from the river to avoid the surges)
Hope everyone else is alright.
Signing out from east brunswick, nj
P.s. dang having no power suckss

Eheim Pimp # 434
One 75G Powered by Two 2217's, two 20L Shrimp Tanks, and a 10G QT Tank!
AquariumNoob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2012, 04:58 AM   #2
Bubba Shrimp
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

how do you post if you have no power?

Guy: "I have Algae on my drift wood!"

Pet Clerk: "Take two Plecos and call me next week."

EHEIM Classic 2213
Check out my blog
tsturgeonblog.wordpress.com/
Bubba Shrimp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2012, 05:03 AM   #3
concepts88
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)

Gw bridge nj here. Just got power back an hr ago. I had hot water so I changed out water once a day. I also put in plastic bottles with hot water in tanks. My 60 survived. My sons 6 survived. My daughters 20l with 2 turtles and a cichlid made it. 3 days. 65 degrees or less. Fish eating tonight

My amano shrimps turned copper color after 3 days of darkness

All my plants are straight up. My glosso carpet grew 1 inch and all of it us straight up now. Argh.

All my algae is gone. All of it.

All my fish and shrimps made it, even those damn pond snails.

I turned on my lights, left co2 off. Within 3 seconds all the plants started to pearl in a steady stream. Not sure how the filter is. Will do tests tomorrow and look for ick?

Hope my berried Rcs didn't drop its load.
Nikon Pimp #82
concepts88 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2012, 05:04 AM   #4
concepts88
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Shrimp View Post
how do you post if you have no power?
He said he had a generator so I assume he charges his cell phone.
Nikon Pimp #82
Old 11-01-2012, 05:09 AM   #5
AquariumNoob
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by concepts88 View Post
He said he had a generator so I assume he charges his cell phone.

Yea i charged my phone during the day. At&t is down but i have verizon which still has cell towers up so i got internet on my cell.
Plus starbucks nd a few big brand stores got generators so you could charge stuff there.

Eheim Pimp # 434
Old 11-01-2012, 05:10 AM   #6
AquariumNoob
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Im more worried about my yellow neos than my fish. But worried about both regardless. Its pretty cold haha

Eheim Pimp # 434
Old 11-01-2012, 05:13 AM   #7
jkan0228
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)

If your tanks are at around 64, shrimp will be fine. Especially neos
jkan0228 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2012, 05:23 AM   #8
concepts88
Planted Tank Obsessed

64 actually felt ice cold to me when I put my arm n the tank. I was surprised it was only 64 degrees. People recommending wrapping the tank in towels. But for my large tank, it seem like a lot of work.
Nikon Pimp #82
Old 11-01-2012, 05:36 AM   #9
Doc7
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

My tanks are in the low 50s now in Union County NJ, I'm at work on night shift and can't do squat. Goodbye Fish : (

Made it thru last Halloween's storm with only one shrimp death, but I'm not even returning to the house now (at 47 degrees) until power is restored I think. I've been doing water changes in the buckets with canister media in them every 12 hours but at this point it feels like a lost cause with 5 days of no power remaining expected. : (

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
New Jersey? Nearby State? Join the New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club!! Meetups, Swaps, Local Members to discuss your tank, issues, and accomplishments!
NJAGC Member since 11/2011
Doc7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2012, 01:39 PM   #10
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (440/100%)

I average about a month of being without power during winter storms and with annual tornado damage. Have never lost a fish or shrimp with tanks in the 50s.

Neos are especially hardy and mine almost always survive the winter in a container pond where several inches of the top water freezes. Internal temps often get to the high 40s for a few weeks.
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2012, 04:50 PM   #11
AquariumNoob
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc7 View Post
My tanks are in the low 50s now in Union County NJ, I'm at work on night shift and can't do squat. Goodbye Fish : (

Made it thru last Halloween's storm with only one shrimp death, but I'm not even returning to the house now (at 47 degrees) until power is restored I think. I've been doing water changes in the buckets with canister media in them every 12 hours but at this point it feels like a lost cause with 5 days of no power remaining expected. : (

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
Dont give up! That number is way overestimated so they dont piss people off. Certain areas got power in my town already. If you have a gas stove you could keep that on to try and warm up the place a bit.
Good luck!

Eheim Pimp # 434
Old 11-01-2012, 04:58 PM   #12
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I hate to even mention it because it may just cause a lot of depression but the timeline on power returning may not be quite right.
When I've gone into hurricane damaged ares, the power being restored is a pretty routine affair but it is still a real question when things will come back. That is done by folks who do this restoration on a pretty common basis. They have massive numbers of poles, transformers, and all the small parts stocked in advance. When I think of what the Northeast will have had on hand, I shudder.
With this storm, even seasoned crews would have a major struggle. Take into account that New England does not do this very often and you can see that there may be massive confusion. That massive transformer shown burning on TV is not something one can just run out and buy. Those are often engineered and built for specific uses.

Be patient and be aware that they will get it back as soon as they can. But also be aware that elected officials will tend to paint a rosie picture. When making decisions, like whether to stay or leave, do some real thinking on your own. If you look out and there is not a power pole standing on your block, don't count on power by the end of the week. They may still be in Minnesota cutting the trees! If it's an underground transformer, they have to pump out the water first. Just figure on things going slow.
PlantedRich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2012, 05:21 PM   #13
jbrady33
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

My community tank got down to mid 60's, but everyone seesm to have come through ok.

My shrimp tank at work was without power longer, the shrimp all seem to have come through ok - the only causalities seem to have been that without supplemental feeding my assassin snails ate my ramshorns (but left the damn pond snails!)

Hoping everyone that is still without power can recover their tanks with as minor losses as possible. I have red wag platies overwhelming my tank if anyone wants them after this is over!
Old 11-01-2012, 07:18 PM   #14
SovXietday
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

We finally got our hands on a generator and I hooked up filter/powerhead/heater/and my nighttime light. Temps were down under 50, fish were probably running out of oxygen after almost 3 days of stagnant water in a 29G.

Temp is now back to mid 70s and the fish seem happy. Projected to get power back by tonight, most of the area has power again. So seem to be out of the woods so far.

That being said, being in the woods in the first place was the problem. Three trees ended up putting a nice big dent in our roof, blah.
SovXietday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 03:22 AM   #15
AquariumNoob
Planted Tank Enthusiast

We got lucky.. no flooding or damage at my house.
Certain parts in town and most neighboring areas have power so it wont be long hopefully. Our town got hit nowhere near as hard as the shore. A few downed lines/poles but nothing insane. Probably 4 or 5 within the few miles ive driven.

Eheim Pimp # 434

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.