24 gallon Aquapod S.A. journal
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-19-2009, 10:05 PM   #1
dravenxavier
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

24 gallon Aquapod S.A. journal

Well, I've been taking my time with this, but I think I'm far along enough now that I can get started on a journal for it. I just finished filling it up with water, and I've gotten about half of the leaf litter in there. The rest is still soaking enough so it can sink. Anyway, for the specs:

24 gallon Current Aquapod
2x 32W 6700K PC lighting
Substrate - layer of peat moss covered with playsand
Filtration - filter chambers contain a foam block for mechanical filtration, and then a ton of ceramic and plastic bio-media. I'll probably add a bag of Marc Weiss Keta-Peat Nuggets that have had sitting around for a few years.

I've got dry ferts on the way. CO2 will be 2 1.89L yeast bottles linked together. I have a nano diffuser, bubble counter, check valve, and drop checker coming, too. CO2 will be hooked up when it gets here.

For plants, I have some Christmas Moss on standby in a container of water in my orchid/carnivorous plant tank which will be attatched to the wood. Otherwise, I'm probably going to be stocking with only some dwarf hairgrass, and Ludwigia sedioides. For fish, I'm looking into a pair of Apistogrammas...probably A. hongsloi. Still deciding, though. I'll also probably have a group of Corydoras habrosus, or another pygmy species.

A word on the water. Since my water comes out a little harder than I'd like for the fish I want, tap water first goes into a bucket with a bag of peat and a pump, to circulate for a few days...this gives it a nice yellow color, and removes a little bit of the hardness...then it goes into a larger holding container, where 4 gallons of the prepared water is mixed with 2 gallons of distilled. This container holds about 20 gallons, so I have plenty on hold for water changes.

Anyway, onto the pics!

This is just the wood with the supports to hold them upright. The grid will HOPEFULLY let me change them as the wood or bark rots too much

With the peat

And finally with the sand, leaf litter, and water...I would have taken a picture when I put the sand in first, but it looked terrible :P

dravenxavier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2009, 11:10 PM   #2
itstony
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

thats a pretty cool setup you got there. i cant wait to see it progress further on. are those regular leaves or do they help soften water like the..uhh..i believe almond leaves? sorry i forgot the name lol
itstony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2009, 01:56 AM   #3
dravenxavier
Planted Member

Arg, well, I've hit my first problem. I tried leaving the lights on all day, and temperature is reading at just over 90F. I'd really like to avoid spending too much more on this thing, but I may have to give in and swap out the stock pump for a MaxiJet 600, and pick up a second fan. I just unplugged the heater in case it's malfunctioning, and I'll see what the tank does tomorrow.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:56 PM   #4
dravenxavier
Planted Member

Got the excessive heat under control, but the temperature still proved to be too much for the X-mas moss, as most of it melted. I knew it was a possibility, but some of it attached to the wood, and looks like it may recover. Also, got my drop checker, bubble counter, and check valve hooked up with a DIY yeast system, which is giving me about 6-8 bps. I need to change that airline in the aquarium to the black stealth tubing later, though. There's also 3 neon tetras in there to "test the waters" before I start stocking it with more expensive fish. They've been in there for almost a week, and have shown no signs of stress.

I just ordered my plants today from aquariumplants.com. The shipping was way more than I wanted to pay, but they were the only ones that had both plants I wanted. I've got all the ferts ready for EI dosing, so hopefully late next week I'll have pics of the tank with the plants in.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:39 PM   #5
dravenxavier
Planted Member

Well, those 3 neons are fine. Just added 4 Otocinclus yesterday, as well, and all of them are doing well, too. Added a bit more wood, and some new moss. It's java moss, and I really wanted to stay South American...but for now, moss is moss. Still waiting on word of my plants, though. I should also be getting my pair of Apistogramma this weekend, or early next week.

Old 04-11-2009, 03:57 AM   #6
dravenxavier
Planted Member

Now with plants! I can't even tell you what trouble I went through to get these things. They were getting delivered today, but I had work, so the alternative was they were going to have to sit over the weekend and be re-delivered on Monday. Luckily I was able to shoot over to UPS on my break and pick them up. Had some problems there, too, but got them resolved, and now have some plants in the tank. Also, as you can see, this moss died too...arg.

I know it's not really "aquascaped" but I'm going for a more natural, random look. The Ludwigia sedioides was apparently grown floating, which is what it does naturally anyway, so it's a little funky looking now. Good news is, I ordered 3, and they sent me about 10 of them. I only needed 5, so if anyone needs some near Edison, NJ let me know :P otherwise they're coming with me when I get my Apistos on Sunday, and maybe they can knock a little $ off.
Old 04-11-2009, 04:38 AM   #7
frozenbarb
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Send a message via AIM to frozenbarb

Nice looking tank, It looks like the amazons.

Advice.
I think you should seperate the Dwarf Hairgrass. It grows faster and dense with it spreaded out.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:13 AM   #8
Pinto
Planted Member

I wonder how this will turn out.
Pinto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2009, 11:12 AM   #9
waterfaller1
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to waterfaller1

What is the floating plant in the center? This tank is very different, I like it.
waterfaller1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2009, 12:37 PM   #10
dravenxavier
Planted Member

I actually don't want the hairgrass to fill in. I want it to remain in isolated patches as long as possible lol. The floating plant is Ludwigia sedioides. Well, it's naturally a floating plant, but will grow as a planted stem plant, as well. I'm not sure how it will do, but I definitely wanted it in this tank. Supposedly it requires insane lighting, and usually needs to be grown outdoors in full sun to do well. but considering the top rosettes are immediately below the PC fluorescent bulbs, it might be enough. You can google pictures of this plant to see the surface rosettes I'm talking about. Once these straighten, I'll post pictures of the rosettes on these plants, too.

I am bummed about the moss though. That's the second batch this tank has killed. I'll leave it in there for a couple weeks, maybe, in case it bounces back, but I don't think it will.
Old 04-11-2009, 02:56 PM   #11
Neoman
Planted Tank Obsessed

I didn't thin this was gonna look good at first, but filled up it looks really cool. Very nice, original idea.
Old 04-11-2009, 04:03 PM   #12
emmanuelchavez
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (39/100%)

This looks pretty awesome.
Whenever I put moss in any of my tanks, it starts dying off at first, but then it comes back strong.
emmanuelchavez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2009, 11:47 PM   #13
dravenxavier
Planted Member

That's what I'm hoping with the moss, but there's not a speck of green left on any of it. Blah. Can't win them all I guess.

I was starting to wonder how it would look, too, but it's turning out even better than I thought. The Ludwigia completes it beautifully. 2 have formed their rosettes, and one is ALMOST there...it'll probably form it tomorrow or the next day. Two others I had to cut down even farther, so allow them to straighten more, so they've got a little ways to go to reach the surface.

Now the last touch will be the Apistogrammas. A store was supposed to get some A. hongsloi yesterday, but if not, they still have some A. vejieta II. So I'll be taking a trip up there to grab them tomorrow. I need to pick up some tabs for the hairgrass, too.

Old 04-12-2009, 04:42 AM   #14
waterfaller1
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to waterfaller1

Oh those are awesome, they kind of look like mosaics. Where could I find some for my container pond?
waterfaller1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2009, 12:58 PM   #15
dravenxavier
Planted Member

I got mine online. They are also called mosaic plants. You'll have to look under the pond plants section. The cheapest price I found was aquariumplants.com, though shipping was expensive. Most other places charge at least $10/stem. Although they're used in ponds, they are a true tropical plant, and must be warm at all times, from what I understand. You're pretty far south, so you may get away with keeping them outdoors year-round.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.