My Bedside 20L Shrimp Tank. (56k)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 08-12-2013, 07:42 AM   #1
shambhalove.
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

My Bedside 20L Shrimp Tank. (56k)

I started this back in April with the intent on documenting the entire thing and keeping a journal for it...haha...well I took pictures of the whole process, but thats about it. Half points maybe? Oh well I suppose its better late than never.

Anyways, so I really wanted a nice simple tank for my room and i needed a safe haven to put my shrimp if any were to survive the rainbows in my 75. I love the look of open top tanks as well, but my rainbows also seem to think they can fly. Oh and i also really wanted to try Aquasoil and didnt want to cycle it in a bucket or something. So really, when you add it all up i had to start another tank.

I decided on a 20L. There's so many amazing ones on this site and i had a 20L qt tank that was painful to look at full of plastic, pvc and terracotta.
This hobby is expensive. My plan for this tank was to spend money on what I felt was more important, a quality substrate and filtration. Scrap 2x4s and black paint for a nice cheap stand and i have a few dome cfls laying around so lighting was free.

Building the stand...simple, free and the exact height i want! lol

Stand and background painted...fill test...laugh...use half a bag of shims

Light!...a bit too much...

Decided on AS Amazonia, bought the Power Sand S as well. Starting to waste money already haha. I was impressed by the AS, it was able to knock my ph from ~8.2 down to 6.8-7. Still waiting(being lazy) to test gh and kh.

Went with a 2215. I have a 2217 and love it so the choice was easy, battled with getting a 2213 but i'm happy with the overkill. Main concern here was noise since its the 2nd tank in my room and feet from my bed. Plugged it in and had to do the usual eheim touch my filter to make sure its on dance, the things are awesome.

Also got a 200w Hydor inline heater. Wont need it now but my room drops to like 15-16c in winter...Plan to have a cheap bedroom tank slowly falling apart...

Cycling...Lots o Frogbit = bye bye ammonia

More plants.

Cycled. In go the shrimp! Some rescued from the Boesemani massacre and some from the lfs.

Another collapse in the budget plan...well ive never tried leds before! What was i supposed to do?

And where we are at today. Things are growing in nicely, done a few trims already and there are shrimplets everywhere!

The plants are staying...for now. 3 kinds of Crypts, Vals, 2 kinds of Bacopa, Flame Moss, Rotala, Hygrophila, Dwarf Sag, Pennywort.

Well there it is. My condensed, yet slightly long winded journal for the past 3-4 months. Maybe I'll try and update this on some sort of normal schedule, maybe...

Questions? Ideas? I'd love some input!

Here's some camera phone eye candy

shambhalove. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2013, 07:53 AM   #2
TankYouVeryMuch
[Shrimpoholic]

PTrader: (27/100%)

Very nice! Any nutes or co2 dosing?
TankYouVeryMuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:30 AM   #3
shambhalove.
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankYouVeryMuch View Post
Very nice! Any nutes or co2 dosing?
Thanks!

No co2. Light weekly dosing with dry ferts.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:02 PM   #4
joejoe123
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)

what kind of lights were you using at first I liked the look and currently looking for lighting for my 40 breeder
joejoe123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:38 PM   #5
shambhalove.
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejoe123 View Post
what kind of lights were you using at first I liked the look and currently looking for lighting for my 40 breeder
The are clip on dome reflectors from home depot, each with a 13w 6500k cfl. I just took off the clamp part and hung them from the wires. I actually liked the look as well, but with 3 on my 20L and 2 on my betta tank my room was getting a little too toasty on hot days.

The Fugeray is a great little light but makes everything a little washed out. Ive ordered the Current led fixture so we'll see how that looks...totally gave up on the budget at this point....
Old 08-13-2013, 04:46 AM   #6
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shambhalove. View Post
The Fugeray is a great little light but makes everything a little washed out. Ive ordered the Current led fixture so we'll see how that looks...totally gave up on the budget at this point....
Welcome to the addition! I find it hard to stay on a budget for this hobby too.

Read that other's found that the Fueray washed out the colors. One suggested the Current USA Satellite LED+ , which has a control unit. I have seen the control unit sold separately.
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:33 PM   #7
shambhalove.
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
Welcome to the addition! I find it hard to stay on a budget for this hobby too.

Read that other's found that the Fueray washed out the colors. One suggested the Current USA Satellite LED+ , which has a control unit. I have seen the control unit sold separately.
Yeah thats the light ive ordered, the 24-36" version. Im sure I will get bored with the weather settings and such within a day but I'm interested to see how much of a difference the RGB's make in person.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:15 AM   #8
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Great tank. I hope to have amount of healthy plants you have in my 20L startup!
tylergvolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:56 AM   #9
jpappy789
Wannabe Guru

Nicely done!

I currently have the LED+, I think it's a bit less intense than the Fugeray though so I wouldn't count on hanging it.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:57 AM   #10
cableguy69846
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Bravo sir. Well done. Seeing all the LED fixtures out there is making me really want to try them out now.
The Fraternity of Dirt #39
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Cable's Madness
Fish tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.
"What the smeggin smeg's he smeggin' done now?!" - Lister
cableguy69846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:32 AM   #11
Bradleyv1714
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

I just bought a current sat+ led light and awaiting to receive it. I hope it is much better than what a double bulb shoplight looks like.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:24 AM   #12
shambhalove.
Planted Member

Thank you everyone!

Everything has been filling in nicely and the shrimp continue to multiply I`m debating pulling out all of the vals, they need constant trimming in a tank this shallow and the runners want to take over the tank. The Hygro grows like wildfire and is quickly becoming one of my favorite plants, it brings a nice splash of colour to a low light tank.

I finally got around to setting up my Satellite+ and i couldnt be happier. Being able to customize the colours is awesome! Personally I like the orange setting with a little extra red added the best, it really helps bring out the non green plants in the tank and I love the "warmth" it brings to my room. The dynamic effects are more fun than i thought they would be and i cannot wait for the timer so i can setup the sunrise/sunset and cloud cover. Very impressed with this light and you cannot beat the price!! Only one problem, why the blue moonlights? Whats with everyone and their blue moonlighting?? Personally i think its a cool effect in itself but it certainly doesnt look light natural moonlight. Oh well

On a side note, I ordered 2 of Current's TrueLumen Lunar LEDs (1200k) for for my 75 gallon and they look amazing! Finally natural looking moonlights!!

Anyways here's the good stuff...

Moss lawn that needs constant mowing lol

Hygro and Pennywort trying to leave!
Old 09-03-2013, 03:39 AM   #13
Jonnywhoop
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)

What are the small crypts in the front? Awesome looking tank
Jonnywhoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:27 PM   #14
shambhalove.
Planted Member

Cryptocoryne Wendtii. They'll get quite a bit bigger, but fairly slowly.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:43 PM   #15
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Awesome tank man. I love the hygro to, it's green by the substrate and as it gets closer to the light the color really comes out.