Quick question for shrimp expert - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 11-05-2012, 07:41 PM   #16
AVN
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Now now, before we dive headfirst into sticking things into our tanks, do you have a test kit? Do you know the parameters of your water?

You should try 1 tablespoon of it in a 1 gallon bucket, test water before you introduce and then test it again in a couple of days to see EXACTLY what it does.

If it affects your water the way you want it to, then do conversions and add the respective amount into your filter. Low pH water like 6.5~7 will dissolve the coral and release calcium carbonates into your water, adding to your kH. This will essentially "freeze" your pH because the high buffering capability of your kH will make it hard for your pH to rise or drop.

As always, you want to keep your environment stable, a high kH will limit the fluctuation of pH in your tank, but it's wise to remember that gH is also very important. You don't want pH, kH, and gH to get thrown out of whack, shrimp require it to be delicately balanced.

If you aren't easily bored, here is a nice and comprehensive read on pH, kH, gH, and how to control them.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:02 PM   #17
lighter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Sorry for my ignorance but I always thought that crushed corals will increase the pH levels as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:05 PM   #18
AVN
Wannabe Guru

No problem, no question is a bad one.

There are different kinds of corals, all of them leach similar minerals but some have/lack certain minerals. Argonite corals leach different minerals than crushed white corals.

All crushed corals will raise your kH, which in turn will raise your pH when mixed with dissolved organic waste, but the corals themselves do not raise pH, just kH. pH rises naturally because of a higher kH level.

As always, test it before using it.

I use peat moss and co2 to lower my pH after I raise my pH/kH with coral. As these methods do not lower kH but only pH. (30 ppm of co2 will lower your pH by 1 degree)

Last edited by AVN; 11-05-2012 at 08:31 PM.. Reason: Additional information
AVN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:11 PM   #19
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (64/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVN View Post
For CRS, I like to use rocks that will lower the pH while raising the kH, some good ones are Seiryu, Limestone.

???? Both of those will raise pH. Can't speak from experience on dead coral. I know of no rocks that lower pH...either they are inert or raise it.
ravensgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:14 PM   #20
AVN
Wannabe Guru

My bad, thanks for pointing out that major mistake.

I fixed it.