the hurricane is gonna kill all my tanks - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 11-01-2012, 12:34 AM   #16
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (55/100%)

Just got word they are expecting the power to be restored sometime tomorrow to the cook/douglas campus of Rutgers, where my apartment is. College ave already has power. So my males and 20 long should do ok. My females will likely be without power longer, but I was watching them earlier today, and they seem to be doing ok, just moving slower than normal. They even ate before i remembered to shut off their feed.

Thanks everyone. I'll update as I learn more.
Honestly I'm just really happy I found somebody with power to move my leopard gecko to so she has heat. Before then I would take her out every other hour for 30 min and let her crawl on me for body heat. She would start out super stiff and then get more nimble as she basked on me.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:54 AM   #17
mitchfish9
Planted Tank Nation

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by @marko@ View Post
Just got word they are expecting the power to be restored sometime tomorrow to the cook/douglas campus of Rutgers, where my apartment is. College ave already has power. So my males and 20 long should do ok. My females will likely be without power longer, but I was watching them earlier today, and they seem to be doing ok, just moving slower than normal. They even ate before i remembered to shut off their feed.

Honestly I'm just really happy I found somebody with power to move my leopard gecko to so she has heat. Before then I would take her out every other hour for 30 min and let her crawl on me for body heat. She would start out super stiff and then get more nimble as she basked on me.
Great news!!!
mitchfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2012, 02:31 AM   #18
SpecGrrl
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyjo View Post
Don't put a candle near your wrapped tank - it won't do anything except possibly start a fire.
Sorry should have clarified " in an appropriate holder"

We have lantern type holders, so no open flames.
SpecGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2012, 02:32 AM   #19
SpecGrrl
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Quote:

Glad to hear this!
SpecGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2012, 02:39 AM   #20
mach_six
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

I have a s/w tank with corals w.o power since Mon 9PM, they're surviving in 60s temps.
mach_six is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2012, 04:06 AM   #21
AquariumNoob
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

I was also told no power possibly til 11-5 but i get power via generator a few hrs a day to keep bacteria nd stuff alive and keep tanks in thev60s. Still plenty of wires and broken poles lying around in the streets.. only we dont even have babysitters. Blocked roads due to downed trees were all cleared for now. Basically since yesterday. East brunswick township did an awesome job with that honestly... but pseg is nowhere to be found. Good luck! If you have a gas stove you could light it with a stick on fire or lighter nd boil water to heat tanks that you have access to.

Eheim Pimp # 434
One 75G Powered by Two 2217's, two 20L Shrimp Tanks, and a 10G QT Tank!
AquariumNoob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2012, 02:57 PM   #22
greenmulberry
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have taped those handwarmers to the glass of aquariums before wrapping in a blanket. It would not transfer much heat on a large, thick walled tank, but a small tank I think it helped get some heat in. Those things get HOT.
greenmulberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2012, 03:44 PM   #23
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

Specgrrl: that makes more sense. But I don't have those. Plus honestly I don't notice the candles adding any heat. Our gas stove is on when we are in the kitchen keeping the house from dropping below 65.

Machsix: my dad runs a reef, same boat. Corals seem to be holding up, and he hooked a car battery up to the vortec to keep some circulation. I think lack of light will be the biggest enemy to them now. Fed the bubble tip anemone we have a small bit of scallop, so hopefully it will be able to last longer deriving some energy from that, but we don't dare feed the Corals while the skimmer isn't working.

I was actually wondering about the bacteria, and they should be able to last much longer in the cold. And cold water holds more O2 so maybe they will pull through and I won't have to redo a cycle but with fish in.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:24 PM   #24
wendyjo
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Ya know, in a pinch you could try those Thermal Care heat wraps at the drug store. They're bigger than the hand warmers and the ones made for the lower back would wrap around a small tank pretty easily.
wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 02:08 AM   #25
LS6 Tommy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

I'm in Denville. I lost power last October for a week. Tank went down to 53* F. No filter, no heat. I closed the valves on my canister to isolate it from the tank so when the biofilter started to die it wouldn't get into the tank & put towels on the tank. Ran like that for 5 days. Finally borrowed a little generator that I could only run long enough to bring the temp back up each nite. I don't want to be a pessimist. Did I lose livestock? Yes. Did I lose all of it? No. I lost some of my discus & about 1/6 of my other smaller fish. I was suprised at how resilient they actually were. This time around I had my my new generator & transfer switch ready to go. I wish I could do something to help other than to tell you hopefully it won't be as bad as you're thinking & I wish you the best.

Tommy

Eheim Pimp #204.
58 gal planted Oceanic
Red Turquiose Discus, Japonica shrimp, assorted Blue Eyed Rainbows, Tetras, Hatchets, Danios, Rasboras
10 gal low tech planted Celestial Pearl Danio (Celestichthys margaritatus) & Emerald Dwarf Rasbora (Microrasbora erythromicron)
LS6 Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 06:57 PM   #26
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

the power in my college apartment is back.
my 20 long didnt sustain any real damage (most stems shed some of the lower leaves, but thats not a real issue).
the 4 bettas are all alive. 1 is sick, but i should be able to nurse him back to health (i think its an aeromonas infection).

also moved all my emersed plants to there so that they have light and they will all be fine.

so i definitely wont loose everything.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:37 PM   #27
antbug
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)

Glad to hear the good news.

antbug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 07:45 PM   #28
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (121/100%)

Good to hear, Marko.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:56 PM   #29
dhuffer
Algae Grower

Quote:
the power in my college apartment is back.
my 20 long didnt sustain any real damage (most stems shed some of the lower leaves, but thats not a real issue).
the 4 bettas are all alive. 1 is sick, but i should be able to nurse him back to health (i think its an aeromonas infection).

also moved all my emersed plants to there so that they have light and they will all be fine.

so i definitely wont loose everything.
Happy for you glad nothing to major happened there
Old 11-02-2012, 08:13 PM   #30
PinkRasbora
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to PinkRasbora

How close are you to The Aquarium at Route 4?

They posted this on Facebook:

We apologize if this is getting repetitive... but there are so many people bringing in animals that were unaware that we were housing the,,,, There is NO CHARGE and we are happy to help... If you or anyone you know has animals that they need to house due to loss of power or flooding please bring them in... IF you do please bring a cage and light (if necessary) We will take in anything from your pet hamster or bunny to your elephant or whale ( that means anything...lol ) We are housing fish in our systems as well... fresh or salt water.... Other then that we are running at normal capacity and have all the feeders and items you may need to keep your animals fed and happy....

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Aq...ref=ts&fref=ts
PinkRasbora is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.