the hurricane is gonna kill all my tanks
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 10-31-2012, 06:09 PM   #1
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (57/100%)

the hurricane is gonna kill all my tanks

4-10 days without power, no light, no filters, no heaters, rooms at 60 f. I doubt anything will survive.
Just wanted to vent.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:35 PM   #2
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by @marko@ View Post
4-10 days without power, no light, no filters, no heaters, rooms at 60 f. I doubt anything will survive.
Just wanted to vent.
Hi @marko@,

First let me say that I am sorry about the devastation everyone in the Northeast is dealing with. Let me share my experience from last year when the Northwest experienced a severe windstorm and we were without power for 7 - 8 days while the outside temperatures were in the 40's. No heaters, no lights, no CO2, no filters....nothing.

How did things turn out, not so bad. After a week the plants were pale, some of the more sensitive plants lost a lot of leaves, but even those stems recovered. I lost about 1/2 of my Cardinals but my Angelfish, Corys, Otos, SAE's, Rummynose, and Apistos all survived even with tank temperatures in the mid 50's.

What did I do to make this happen? Nothing! I didn't feed the fish, I didn't feed the plants, I didn't change any water, I didn't try to bring the temperature of the tank up with warm water, water bottles, nothing. Why? Because with no light the plants don't need food and with cold water temperatures the fish become lethargic, don't move around much, and don't need much food. Also it is difficult for fish to metabolize food at cold temperatures.

Don't worry too much about your tanks, they will probably come out of this better than you think. Possibly if you concentrate your thoughts and efforts in helping family, friends, and neighbors it will take your mind off of the tanks for a while.

Last edited by Seattle_Aquarist; 10-31-2012 at 06:37 PM.. Reason: ..
Seattle_Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:42 PM   #3
SpecGrrl
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Marko, your bettas will probably be ok if you can wrap their tanks in towels and put a heat source like a candle beside them.

Can you get some of those handwarmers that hunters use?

*sending you and your livestock good vibes*
SpecGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:53 PM   #4
jemminnifener
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I hope your power comes back sooner rather than later. Keep yourself warm and safe! Keep us posted!
jemminnifener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:58 PM   #5
SpecGrrl
Wannabe Guru

If you can get handwarmers, out them into ziplock bags after you activate them, and float them in the water.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:20 PM   #6
John K
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecGrrl View Post
If you can get handwarmers, out them into ziplock bags after you activate them, and float them in the water.
The most common type of hand warmer needs to be exposed to air in order to generate heat. If you put it into a plastic bag, the reaction that generates heat will stop. The rechargeable ones will work, but are expensive and only last about 30 minutes - Not very practical.

Use a propane camping stove to heat water. Fill plastic bottles and float them in your tank.

Last edited by John K; 10-31-2012 at 07:39 PM.. Reason: clarified
John K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:20 PM   #7
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (57/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi @marko@,

First let me say that I am sorry about the devastation everyone in the Northeast is dealing with. Let me share my experience from last year when the Northwest experienced a severe windstorm and we were without power for 7 - 8 days while the outside temperatures were in the 40's. No heaters, no lights, no CO2, no filters....nothing.

How did things turn out, not so bad. After a week the plants were pale, some of the more sensitive plants lost a lot of leaves, but even those stems recovered. I lost about 1/2 of my Cardinals but my Angelfish, Corys, Otos, SAE's, Rummynose, and Apistos all survived even with tank temperatures in the mid 50's.

What did I do to make this happen? Nothing! I didn't feed the fish, I didn't feed the plants, I didn't change any water, I didn't try to bring the temperature of the tank up with warm water, water bottles, nothing. Why? Because with no light the plants don't need food and with cold water temperatures the fish become lethargic, don't move around much, and don't need much food. Also it is difficult for fish to metabolize food at cold temperatures.

Don't worry too much about your tanks, they will probably come out of this better than you think. Possibly if you concentrate your thoughts and efforts in helping family, friends, and neighbors it will take your mind off of the tanks for a while.
This is making me feel a touch optimistic. Thank you. Can't even get to my male bettas or 20 long, so they will just have to make due.
Fortunately everyone in the family is safe and we have plenty of food and candles. All of us are kinda wishing we bought a generator, but that's about it.

Quote:
Marko, your bettas will probably be ok if you can wrap their tanks in towels and put a heat source like a candle beside them.

Can you get some of those handwarmers that hunters use?

*sending you and your livestock good vibes*
. Can't get to the males. The college aprtment has an electical system to unlock the door, and its mechanical, not magnetic, so instead of unlocking without power, it is unopenable. Nobody can get in and everyone was forced out at 3am yesterday. I did wrap the tank in a towel and blanket, but by now its at room temp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemminnifener View Post
I hope your power comes back sooner rather than later. Keep yourself warm and safe! Keep us posted!
Thanks you.

Quote:
Not an option I'm afraid.
All i was able to do was wrap the tank.

I did also remove the canister filter and drain most of the water out of it and close it back up, so the bacteria have O2 and mositrue and hopefully with the cold delaying their starvation I won't have to recycle.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:26 PM   #8
SpecGrrl
Wannabe Guru

I'm glad your family is safe! And that you wrapped the tank!

They're very healthy fish bc you've taken great care if them.

Rooting for Team Betta!
Old 10-31-2012, 07:29 PM   #9
SpecGrrl
Wannabe Guru

Also, my uncle went to the Philippines for a month and forgot to take his betta to the office so his staff could feed it.

When they got home, the betta was still alive. A month.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:43 PM   #10
tiggity
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Hi @marko@,

This is good to know! I've been told that our power won't come back till 11-5 @ 8PM. What's worse is we have a downed wire that is still arching laying in front of my driveway and my neighbors. All the utility company has done is send somebody and babysit it all day and all night long.
40B Dirt | Aqueon Evolve 8 Dirt | Fraternity of Dirt #120
tiggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:47 PM   #11
dhuffer
Algae Grower

Quote:
Hi @marko@,

just wanted to say what an inspirational story it is amazing to me what creatures and people can go through and still survive just asking how long did it take for things to come back to normal once you got your power back... Did you do a water change right away or anything?
Old 10-31-2012, 08:15 PM   #12
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuffer View Post
just wanted to say what an inspirational story it is amazing to me what creatures and people can go through and still survive just asking how long did it take for things to come back to normal once you got your power back... Did you do a water change right away or anything?
Hi dhuffer,

When the power came back on I just made sure the filters, heaters, CO2, and lights all came back on, I reset the timers on my lights, and had somber services for the Cardinals that didn't survive.

After 24 hours I did a 33% water change and netted out any dead leaves. I feed the fish, fed the plants and I checked all the fish for any signs of ick or fungus closely for the next several days. The fish were pretty much back to normal after 48 hours, the plants took 1-2 weeks before recovering. The good news is algae doesn't grow in the dark!

Seattle_Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:54 PM   #13
dhuffer
Algae Grower

Quote:
Hi dhuffer,

When the power came back on I just made sure the filters, heaters, CO2, and lights all came back on, I reset the timers on my lights, and had somber services for the Cardinals that didn't survive.

After 24 hours I did a 33% water change and netted out any dead leaves. I feed the fish, fed the plants and I checked all the fish for any signs of ick or fungus closely for the next several days. The fish were pretty much back to normal after 48 hours, the plants took 1-2 weeks before recovering. The good news is algae doesn't grow in the dark!
Very interesting thanks
Old 10-31-2012, 08:59 PM   #14
ChadRamsey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (56/100%)

best of luck to you Marko.

And anyone else along the east coast feeling the effects of Sandy

There are 2 types of people on this forum. Those that have algae, and those that lie and say they don't.
ChadRamsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:51 PM   #15
wendyjo
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Don't put a candle near your wrapped tank - it won't do anything except possibly start a fire.
wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote